Samsung Pay US Beta Trial (Aug 25)?

med322

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Has there been any info on how to get accepted into the Samsung Pay beta trial that's going to start on August 25th in the US?

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
If you find out, let me know.

With the ability to pay at ANY terminal that lets you swipe your card(basically everywhere in existence). This will be quite the game changer as NFC is not available at many places, so google wallet is limited. But samsung pay will be able to be used everywhere, and I plan on using it at every opportunity for more security as it doesn't actually use your card, but a temporary card that it submits, which is simply linked to your card.

baggyp

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It may be a closed Beta (reps, employees, and a select few). I looked around for anything that resembled an invite or something to that effect and came up with nothing.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
We may not even get the actual released feature on Verizon and you guys are worried about getting a working beta? Dream big!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been schooled in the comment section, and this is pretty limited to a couple banks. Thankfully I have one of those banks. Bank of America and us bank. So far....

Posted via the Android Central App

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Is this going to be an issue?

05d9cdb48e2d004b5765c0f901034a64.jpg

Bank of America issued us new cards with the chips on the front (still has strip on back), and so did Cabela's. At Walmart yesterday, it wouldn't let me swipe my card...said I had to insert it.

So if we can no longer swipe a chipped card at places that have the chip reader, will we be able to "swipe" those cards with Samsung Pay?

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
This is talking about gas stations, when you push your card into the machine at the pump to pre-pay before you fill.

Not at the register where you 'swipe' your card.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This is talking about gas stations, when you push your card into the machine at the pump to pre-pay before you fill.

Not at the register where you 'swipe' your card.
Many companies are adding chips to the card, as it is more secure. They're keeping the magnetic strips in the meantime, as not all retailers have the chip readers yet.

On Walmart's readers, you can either swipe down the right side to read the magnetic strip, or you can insert your card into the bottom of the reader, much like at an atm or gas pump, but it reads the chip instead of the strip.

So basically, these cards are no longer "swipe-able" everywhere.

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Many companies are adding chips to the card, as it is more secure. They're keeping the magnetic strips in the meantime, as not all retailers have the chip readers yet.

On Walmart's readers, you can either swipe down the right side to read the magnetic strip, or you can insert your card into the bottom of the reader, much like at an atm or gas pump, but it reads the chip instead of the strip.

So basically, these cards are no longer "swipe-able" everywhere.

I was not aware any walmart had a system that let you slide the card into it. Never seen them. And I know about the chips, as of right now, the chips on my cards are basically worthless.

That may pose a problem if it doesn't let you swipe the card then, yes.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
How's the Samsung Pay beta trial going?

Just curious for everyone that's been able to successfully register a card with Samsung Pay. How is it going? Have you been able to use it without it crashing? Have you tried the mst or just nfc. Wouldn't have to ask but I'm on Verizon so I have to live through everyone else who isn't lol...

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Retailers will be required to upgrade to EFV (I think that's the right acronym, but it's chip readers) by Oct 1st. Any retailer that doesn't will be held liable for credit card fraud processed on their machines.

The chip reader thing is being pushed by credit card companies in order to combat credit card fraud, and to move the liability of CC fraud on to merchants and holders vice the actual banks. Or at least that is what my bank has said in their website.

Samsung Pay is supposed to work with magstrip and EFV readers. The limitation of gas pumps is the switch in the back of the reader that activates the mag strip reader.

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Retailers will be required to upgrade to EFV (I think that's the right acronym, but it's chip readers) by Oct 1st. Any retailer that doesn't will be held liable for credit card fraud processed on their machines.

The chip reader thing is being pushed by credit card companies in order to combat credit card fraud, and to move the liability of CC fraud on to merchants and holders vice the actual banks. Or at least that is what my bank has said in their website.

Samsung Pay is supposed to work with magstrip and EFV readers. The limitation of gas pumps is the switch in the back of the reader that activates the mag strip reader.

It's the banks that are required to be chip compliant by oct 1st, retailers probably not so much.(i'll edit to include a link after, this will be my 10th post so I can post links)

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php

However, once everyone goes to chip, samsung pay is no longer useful as google wallet serves the exact same purpose once everyone can take NFC. So samsung may have a useless piece of hardware :|

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
It's the banks that are required to be chip compliant by oct 1st, retailers probably not so much.(i'll edit to include a link after, this will be my 10th post so I can post links)

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php

However, once everyone goes to chip, samsung pay is no longer useful as google wallet serves the exact same purpose once everyone can take NFC. So samsung may have a useless piece of hardware :|

Actually, reading you link, fraud liability falls back to who ever in the chain is the least EFV compliant. If banks have issued the chipped cards, and the merchant is not EFV compliant, liability would fall back to the merchant.

You bring up an interesting point on Samsung Pay and it being useless at EFV compliant devices. I watched a lady at target who swiped her credit card and was told it would work because it had a chip, and had to insert the chip into the reader. I think Samsung Pay is relying heavily on magnetic card readers sticking around for a while, although those that are EFV compliant may also be NFC capable as well. Therefore, Samsung Pay becomes an tool that can be used like Apple pay, Google wallet, or smart card.

All speculative at present, but I'd love to hear from somebody that is doing the beta in the us.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a chipped card and just swiped at target today. It seems to work either way.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: How's the Samsung Pay beta trial going?

No invites yet. They've only started the sign up process. Invites arrive in the coming days.