Note 5 - New killer features from T-Mobile, RCS and Video calling

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: New killer features from T-Mobile, RCS and Video calling

Thanks. It is great to have these things for sure. Sometimes the hyperbole is a bit much is all. VOLTE, HD calling, Video carrier calling and RCS are all good things. just maybe not "game changing" is all.

What I meant was that it may be a game changer if the others carriers begin to feel the pressure T-mobile is clearly putting them by being the first one with the Device launches, Updates, new great features on the phones, keep having Unlock bootloaders, being the first saying yes to OEM requests (like Samsung pay, while Verizon is still deciding if they will allow it or not), adding the GREAT Advance Messaging using latest RCS protocol while the others still use the same antique SMS and MMS services. That talking just about phone features, if we begin to talk about Account services then we have another story with their Uncarrier new features and moves.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I was looking at different messaging apps a couple of weeks ago and checked every setting on every messaging app I had and I did notice that there was a no limit size back then. I don't think that's new.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You can have a No limit size on the apps if available but that message will need to go through the carrier's network, and once there it will be rejected or in best case scenario downscale or compress to meet their requirements. Actually, the carrier will allow an MMS with a size larger that what they allow. iMessage can do that because they don't use the carrier to send the message if it's between iOS users, that message goes through their server instead, but if one of them is not an iOS user it will go through the carrier network with the same maximum size limit than all Android users have.

If I'm right the maximum size limit on the 3 major US carriers are the following:

1-) Verizon - 1.2 MB
2-) AT&T - 600 KB
3-) T-Mobile - 1 MB

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

So its pretty much like iMessage for iPhone?

Yes, pretty similar, but cross-devices once they release the firmware to other non-Samsung devices, iMessage as you know is just between iOS users.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm not seeing the features of the RCS other than the larger file size allowance. I don't see the real-time (chat) feature that shows when a person is writing back and has read my messages. Can anyone provide with help on how to activate that?

While testing this yesterday I can tell you that you need to have VoLTE on in the Phone App settings and in order to see when a person is Writing and if they read your message you need to be in Chat mode, I mean that both must have a compatible device (so far just S6, S6 edge, Note 5 and S6 edge+) and they must be in the conversation at the same time, if one of them is not in the conversation screen it doesn't show anything.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

T-mobile has taken another huge step in separate themselves from the rest of the so called large carriers, the same that month by month just add more and more bloatware with a real benefit for the customers. T-mobile has begun to update their latest flagships to be able to use the latest in technology and after proven the Video calling I can honestly say that it's GREAT.

You sound like an infomercial. I'm paying less on AT&T than I would on T-Mobile and their high voice frequencies make connections and call quality atrocious indoors and in dense urban areas. The magnifiicance you describe only works if you're calling another T-Mobile subscriber with one of four of Samsung's latest phones. I don't even know anyone on T-Mobile; my circle is either AT&T or VZW. All the wireless carriers have strengths and weaknesses; T-Mobile just happens to have a better bubble machine.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

You sound like an infomercial. I'm paying less on AT&T than I would on T-Mobile and their high voice frequencies make connections and call quality atrocious indoors and in dense urban areas. The magnifiicance you describe only works if you're calling another T-Mobile subscriber with one of four of Samsung's latest phones. I don't even know anyone on T-Mobile; my circle is either AT&T or VZW. All the wireless carriers have strengths and weaknesses; T-Mobile just happens to have a better bubble machine.

All of that is in your case, in mine it has been a great experience, by your comments you are simply trying to underestimate the new features because your carrier doesn't have it, if it was AT&T with the new features you will also be appreciating them.

Geez, some people act like if they were Stockholders on their carrier's or phone brand companies... What is bad is bad, it's that simple, there is no excuse why AT&T hasn't even released the 5.1.1 update to any of their phones, the only 5.1.1 phones they have, are because they came with it from factory, it must be a shame for them to be one of the largest wireless company and have more excuses as of to why they don't release updates promptly than resources to work with them.

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Yes, pretty similar, but cross-devices once they release the firmware to other non-Samsung devices, iMessage as you know is just between iOS users.
Sprint has had the larger multimedia mms feature and chat for a long time. Its not T-mobile only lol, that's just a marketing scheme to make them sound like they have something exclusive, when they don't lol
804a690f3307449de160548e6e075e79.jpg

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Paired with Samsung Gear 2 Neo
Sprint PCS

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Sprint has had the larger multimedia mms feature and chat for a long time. Its not T-mobile only lol, that's just a marketing scheme to make them sound like they have something exclusive, when they don't lol//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/804a690f3307449de160548e6e075e79.jpg

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Sprint PCS

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have Sprint, but what they have is just the Enhanced Messaging feature available only on latest Samsung Galaxy Devices like S6, S6 edge, Note 5 and S6 edge+. There is not a carrier special protocol or service in place is just Samsung's.

The big difference with T-Mobile's new service is that is based on a new protocol that can be easily implemented by all carriers creating a truly Cross-carrier enhanced messaging services, not just between 1 carrier or like in Sprint's case, a brand specific feature.

So am I wrong and they have another enhanced messaging services that I don't know about?

Last edited:

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Correct if I'm wrong, as I don't have Sprint, but what they have is just the Enhanced Messaging feature available only on latest Samsung Galaxy Devices like S6, S6 edge, Note 5 and S6 edge+. There is not a carrier special protocol or service in place is just Samsung's.

The big difference with T-Mobile's new service is that is based on a new protocol that can be easily implemented by all carriers creating a truly Cross-carrier enhanced messaging services, not just between 1 carrier or like in Sprint's case, a brand specific feature.

So am I wrong and they have another enhanced messaging services that I don't know about?
I've had group chat and enhanced messaging for larger files all the way back to my note 2. Ain't nothing new. Only thing y'all have that sprint doesn't is VoLTE, (which they are working on) and native video chat, but I've always used Hangouts for that so I could use my bluetooth headset.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Sprint PCS

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

Geez, some people act like if they were Stockholders on their carrier's or phone brand companies.

I moved to AT&T from T-Mobile. Glad you and others are happy there. I'm convinced T-Mobile treats the displays of the phones they sell with some type of chemical that brainwashes their customers in to becoming evangelists. All four wireless carriers are mercenary billion dollar companies with shareholders to please. To gain market share T-Mobile's driven down wireless pricing which I'm grateful for. In doing so they lost $36M in the Q1 and halved their profit from the previous year in Q2. And the fantastic customers they attract have caused them to have the highest contract default rate in the industry. For me, of the four, AT&T's the best of a bad lot. I could care less what anyone else chooses as everyone's situation is different and I don't feel the need to champion AT&T because no one cares what wireless carrier I use. At least in my circle of friends.

Also, don't let John's propaganda fool you. In 2020 they're still going to be a distant number 3 to AT&T and VZW.

strategy-analytics-pr-us-wireless-outlook-2015.jpg

As for the two new features, can someone tell me what problem they're having that those features solve for them? I'm a little dim sometimes. ;)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I moved to AT&T from T-Mobile. Glad you and others are happy there. I'm convinced T-Mobile treats the displays of the phones they sell with some type of chemical that brainwashes their customers in to becoming evangelists. All four wireless carriers are mercenary billion dollar companies with shareholders to please. To gain market share T-Mobile's driven down wireless pricing which I'm grateful for. In doing so they lost $36M in the Q1 and halved their profit from the previous year in Q2. And the fantastic customers they attract have caused them to have the highest contract default rate in the industry. For me, of the four, AT&T's the best of a bad lot. I could care less what anyone else chooses as everyone's situation is different and I don't feel the need to champion AT&T because no one cares what wireless carrier I use. At least in my circle of friends.

Also, don't let John's propaganda fool you. In 2020 they're still going to be a distant number 3 to AT&T and VZW.

View attachment 196282

As for the two new features, can someone tell me what problem they're having that those features solve for them? I'm a little dim sometimes. ;)

I couldn't care less what those stats may say if they are number 3, 4 or last, Service is great and Customer service is great, and that's all it matters to me, and to my other 5 family members I have in my personal account and the ones in my business account. If at some point they close or are merged or sold, then I move on, but for now it is what is. I was an AT&T customer and moved my personal and business account to T-Mobile and I'm glad I did it.

I still don't understand what is your problem with me giving props and credit where it's due, if the other so called large carriers were doing what T-Mobile is doing the only ones that benefit from that will be the customers, you my friend are getting benefits from them, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint are doing what they are doing lately in offers and promotions just trying to play catch up with T-Mobile's strategy and offers, in other words, they are feeling the pressure, and that's a fact, they were acting as if T-mobile didn't exist but not anymore, they are beginning to show respect.

As for the 2 new features, first, now we have an iMessage comparable messaging service, the one that everybody praise a lot, all the time, do I use it a lot? No, I'm not a texting guy, but I love to have useful features available, don't you? Second, Video call problems? Not really , but I do use it a lot, just inconvenience and sometimes buggy apps, with a native app is smooth and easy.

I know that you are not used to great features, AT&T just stop caring about their customers long ago, they are shameless giving excuses as to why they don't even prioritize updates anymore, their only interest is to keep bloating all their phones with their useless apps, as they are the biggest bloatware offenders right now, while removing some good features and re-organizing menus. What critical problems those 2 new features solved? None, just some inconvenient ones, now you tell me when are you getting the update that everybody else in the World seem to have already and help to solve at least to some degree the RAM Management and also for others have helped with Cell Standby and other battery drain issues?

For me and other T-Mobile users they are great features, for others that are not T-Mobile users they are not, such is life, but give credit where it's due and don't act as if you were b**t hurt because your carrier doesn't have this features, again, what is good is good and what is bad is bad. If you don't agree that they are great features just post some honest feedback backing it up, if you simply don't like this threads about good services in other carriers that are not yours, then don't even read the post, much less don't post on it and keep posting later, just move on. I'm not here to waste my time and energy arguing over things like this, I'm out.

Last edited:

Kevin Twingstrom1

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

I just want to say that I'm totally stoked about RCS and I know this is months later but I wanted to give some support to the guy who started this thread. Yeah its freaking boss that tmobile is implementing RCS. I really really hope it becomes ubiquitous bc SMS IS SO FREAKING ARCHAIC. It blows my mind that sms and mms is still around. Why have we not switched to an ip alternative it's way past due. It's like battery technology. Everything in cell phone tech has taken leaps and bounds in the past 10 years except batteries and sms. I hate sms and I'm all on board with RCS. Props to you for this thread and I'm sorry everyone was like way lame and not excited. I'm pumped. Hopefully now that Google is on board things can really get rolling and they can implement it straight into the OS