Can someone please explain the pro mode settings on the camera?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The Pro Mode gives you a camera with manual settings like a DSLR camera. You get to set the aperture, shutter speed, etc. manually. These settings are white icons in a top and a bottom window banners.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The Pro Mode gives you a camera with manual settings like a DSLR camera. You get to set the aperture, shutter speed, etc. manually. These settings are white icons in a top and a bottom window banners.
"beh" is right... and if you are unfamiliar with how these settings affect an image on a Digital SLR camera, it'll take some experimentation on your part to figure out what does what. In the end, it can be pretty beneficial to know this stuff just for picture quality!

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a great book called Understanding Exposure. It is almost required to make the best use of pro mode (or manual on a DLSR)

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll try to give you a few pointers that can get you started.

You have 3 main items that effect your shot.

1. Apture, which on this phone is a fixed value of 1.9. No surprise that it is fixed, it would take some kind of mechanical devise for it to be adjustable. The good news is, 1.9 is a very good value (fstop) for low light conditions.

2. ISO, which can be set to a value as low as 50 and high as 800. Keep in mind the lower the number the better the quality or lack of grain in the photo. However the lower the number the more light is required, so a higher number gives you much better low light capabilities, the outcome will be much lower quality.

3. Shutter Speed, which can be adjusted from 1/24000 of a second all the way up to 10 seconds. Of course the longer the shutter is open, the more light is let in. On the other hand, without a tripod you will not be able to get a very clear (due to movement) shot at speeds lower than 1/60. Maybe a little lower due to the Image Stabilization, but the general rule has been 1/60 of a second for a long time and is what I always use as a rule of thumb. Also, movement of your subject will also cause blur if the shutter is too slow.

These are all facts that effect the outcome of your shot, no matter what camera you're using. You will have to experiment with the settings and figure out what works best for your conditions. It's part of the fun, learning what works and why. Just have fun, get a book (several good ones out there) and learn.

Posted via the Android Central App

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It would depend on what you are shooting at night. Like Connert said, the higher the ISO the more light hits the sensor, but that comes with digital noise. If you shoot raw and use lightroom or photoshop, you can use noise reduction to make the image presentable.

If you are in a downtown area with LOTs of lights, you could hand hold the phone (for a short exposure), but if shooting moonlit landscapes you would need a tripod of sorts.

I do night photography, but use my DSLR. Normally for a moonlit landscape, with stars, I am shooting ISO 3200, at f2.8 at 30 seconds, on this phone with a max of 800 for ISO and a f1.9, you might pull the same shot at 30 seconds, but holding the phone still will be a trick (a cell phone tripod, or a velco strap on a real tripod might work. But with the plastic lens and the small sensor, you will have a lot of noise.