What happens when you hold down your home button

What happens when you hold down home button

• Total voters

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the phone, when I hold down the home button from anywhere (even locked with screen off, I think) it would directly go to Google Voice search. I would then be able to just start talking.

I then started to disable stuff trying to optimize the phone. I think it was when I disable one of the Google apps, then re-enabled it when I lost this function. Now the best I could do when I hold down the home button is have it go to Google Now, then say "ok Google" before I could do a voice search.

Did something change in an update or something so I can't use this function anymore?

How do I get it back!?

Edit: if your Note 5 does something different, please post it. I can't edit the poll.

Last edited:

Kyle Hartman

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Goes to Google search on home screen. Black screen just unlocks phone since I use fingerprint lock

Posted via the Android Central App
32GB Note 5 Verizon

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Google search for me. But why not just set always listening?

View attachment 203584
I disable it to save battery life.

I thought mine used to directly go to this screen when I held down the home button

03fbfade3f89fbf8aa6c0a04de82d771.jpg

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
When I hold down the home button I get the Google Now screen, from there I can say ok Google
984fb184149b63cf466ef9e8d3e72a73.jpg

When I press the mic button on the Google widget (circled below) I get the screen you posted (with the text that says listening).
0fc28466bd506a3c860038278440fcd1.jpg

From the home screen with the Google widiet I can say ok Google and the listening screen will also appear. This can only be done from the screen with the widget as I have always detect set to off.

I'm with Sprint

Last edited:

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Screen off: doesn't do anything but turn screen on.

Screen on and unlocked: launches google app/google now (search bar indicates listening)

Posted via the Android Central App

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just tried and I got a "Choose a Program" pop-up that listed Google and, oddly enough, Tasker. I choose Google and now it goes to Google Now when held after unlocking the phone.

BigRedGonzo