Samsung Pay: card issuer not supported?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this was discussed already. I am trying to set up my cards, 2 Master Cards and 1 Visa. For some reason, it seems they are not supported. My Wells Fargo bank is not listed as a participating bank. If so, I am shocked Samsung Pay is that limiting. Can someone confirm this or maybe I am entering my cards the wrong way? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1446483097740.jpg
    1446483097740.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 126
  • 1446483111718.jpg
    1446483111718.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 125

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Some of the larger banks are playing hard to get. Mine is Chase who is rolling out a QR code for pay.
I'm stuck using Amex for now....

STILLIRISE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Please help me understand something, when Google wallet went live a few years ago, we were able to use the NFC payment system without having our bank "signoff" on us using our cards that way....now, to use this same system, we need our banks blessings to use our cards this way.....did apple ruin things by "getting the banks on board?" With apple pay? I'm not trying to bash apple, I'm just trying to understand why we didn't need our banks permission before, but now we do....I mean we don't need the banks permission if we decide to purchase something online or if the merchant has to manually enter the card at the register to complete the purchase. As long as the card is active on the Visa or MasterCard network it shouldn't matter which method we use to complete the purchase. Please let me know if I'm off track with my line of thinking.

Posted via the Android Central App

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Please help me understand something, when Google wallet went live a few years ago, we were able to use the NFC payment system without having our bank "signoff" on us using our cards that way....now, to use this same system, we need our banks blessings to use our cards this way.....did apple ruin things by "getting the banks on board?" With apple pay? I'm not trying to bash apple, I'm just trying to understand why we didn't need our banks permission before, but now we do....I mean we don't need the banks permission if we decide to purchase something online or if the merchant has to manually enter the card at the register to complete the purchase. As long as the card is active on the Visa or MasterCard network it shouldn't matter which method we use to complete the purchase. Please let me know if I'm off track with my line of thinking.

No you are absolutely 110% correct. We don't need our banks permission to do those things, and I was thinking the same thing about Apple pay ruining it for Samsung pay with the banks.

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

Last edited:

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Apple didn't ruin anything. With Samsung pay you're essentially cloning a card and storing it's information onto your phone. When it's time to use it for a purchase, it codes that information into a unique transaction id and spits it out. Since that information is unique to that transaction the bank needs a way to authenticate it. Samsung pay is unique in that it mimics a card as if you swiped it. I think banks are smart to be cautious as it basically clones the card, and it could be used as if it was swiped.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Because Google didn't want to be the middleman with Android Pay. That is why the cards that worked on Google Wallet won't work on Android Pay.

Same with Samsung Pay.

If there was an issue before, you had to contact Google Wallet and they handled all transactions. This way it is just like your card and you deal directly with the bank and not Google or Samsung.

STILLIRISE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Kelly and The Last Panda, your responses make sense, but the banks didn't have this problem with Loop pay, which is the company Samsung purchased and that's the technology behind Samsung pay. And loop pay was out way before Apple pay, which is why I question if apple ruined this for us as consumers, they were the ones that implied the banks had to be on board in order for the NFC payment system to work. Like I said, things worked fine with Loop pay and Google Wallet without the banks being involved. They don't require this when I pay with PayPal at stores.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is the bank having the issue. I think Samsung, like Google, doesn't want to be on the middle of the transactions.

Google themselves at Android Pay told me this is why they are going through the bamks, they didn't want to be in the middle.

STILLIRISE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Sad, but it all boils down to money...I wonder what kind of advancements we could make if we got rid of it.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I spoke with USAA Bank and although they are supporting their credit cards on Android Pay, they have no plans at this time to support Samsung Pay.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Pay does seem to be limited so far. Very few cards supported. Not using it. Apparently Discover is happening sometime next year. For NFC based transactions, Android Pay may be a good option given it supports more cards.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Since Samsung Pay uses both NFC and MST (newer Samsung phones) technology I would think banks would get on board with it just because the Samsung Pay will be able to be used with almost every card reader out there as long as you don't have to insert the card like at an ATM machine or gas pump. It's only been available for a very short period of time, I'm sure more will be on board within the next 6 months.

STILLIRISE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Since Samsung Pay uses both NFC and MST (newer Samsung phones) technology I would think banks would get on board with it just because the Samsung Pay will be able to be used with almost every card reader out there as long as you don't have to insert the card like at an ATM machine or gas pump. It's only been available for a very short period of time, I'm sure more will be on board within the next 6 months.

And that should be Samsun's sells pitch. But ultimately, it shouldn't be up to my carrier or my bank to choose which payment method I want to use...they should not decide how i get to access the Visa / MasterCard network. To me, the only company I could see having a say so is Visa/MasterCard.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And that should be Samsun's sells pitch. But ultimately, it shouldn't be up to my carrier or my bank to choose which payment method I want to use...they should not decide how i get to access the Visa / MasterCard network. To me, the only company I could see having a say so is Visa/MasterCard.

Samsung and Google don't want to be responsible for our transactions and I don't blame them. They don't want to be in the middle.

Also Visa and MasterCard aren't responsible for your transactions either, ultimately, your bank is. It is your bank's network and right now this is much like electronic payments were when they first came out.

STILLIRISE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
That's not true... when you file a claim on a purchase, you deal with your bank and your bank deals with visa...your bank reimburses you, visa reimburses your bank, which is why, if a company has too many claims against them, visa can revolk a companies ability to use a visa card for payment. And which is why visa or the pci council fines companies (target for example) for not following security protocol. So if you have a claim that you need to file you wouldn't file it with Samsung, you would file it with your bank, just like you always have. I don't think that employee that told you that had their information correct.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis