Deleting Default Bookmarks in Stock Browser

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
OK - a number of you guys on this forum got me started with the stock Samsung browser and IMO:

- It's design is far more usable than Chrome, for me. I now realize that over the years I've had to adapt to the Chrome UI, and the stock browser has more "immediacy" - I understand it on first glance and it's downright easier to use.

- Hands-down, for me, it's faster than Chrome - like really noticeably faster. I really appreciate this.

But, all that good stuff aside, I can't figure out how to delete the default, pre-installed bookmarks. I've researched it and found a few different "fixes" that have worked over the years for Samsung devices (apparently they've had partner-provided bookmarks for a long time) but those fixes don't work on my VZW N5.

It would be great to chuck those bookmarks. If not, I am still all-in on the stock browser even if I have to keep them.

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you on the stock's performance. I went from stock > chrome > CM browser > chrome > dolphin > stock > UC > finally back to stock. To me speed and responsiveness of the stock browser trumps all the pluses of the other browsers. Would love the addition of a night mode though
Can you post a screenshot of those bookmarks. The ones I see on mine I can delete.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Mobile Web, Mobile Living and Verizon Accessories are all pre-loaded, unwanted and seemingly can't be removed.
Still, the stock browser is a joy to use compared to Chrome. It would be even better if I could scrap these bookmarks!

Screenshot_2015-11-27-09-36-21-1xx.jpg

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
When you touch and hold on those links you get the delete option on top. At least I do. Mine is not carrier locked but I did get a few preloaded bookmarks

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I found a "fix" according to a number of Samsung owners - install Bookmark Manager, chuck the bookmarks and reboot. Then uninstall the app.

Didn't work.

Probably need to live with it!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, at this time, having my list of bookmarks listed below a few I will never use is certainly annoying, but since that (for me) the stock browser totally smokes Chrome in speed, and has a better designed UI regarding immediate access to functions I need, I am staying with stock. Not to mention some Samsung features that are baked into the stock browser that I like.

I find stock to be a simpler design than Dolphin or Firefox, so stock is just a joy to use.
Those bookmarks would be awesome to chuck, but I can overlook them for now.