Sudden shutdown and restart

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I recently updated my Sprint Note 5 to marshmallow. While at work, I like to listen to streaming music such as iheart radio and tunein. In the past, I have been able to leave my phone on a table not on the charger and listen to music. Since the update, my phone will completely shutdown and restart. This is becoming annoying to me. Anyone else having this problem?

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
It happens whenever the radio apps are being used. It doesn't matter if my phone in on the desk or in my pocket, the phone will shutdown and restart all on its own. I will try to wipe the cache and see if that helps. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the phone ever get really hot when you're streaming music over one of those radio apps? If so, it might be overheating and forcing a shutdown.

badgerfrisch

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issue with IHeartRadio since updating to Marshmallow. Turning off Bluetooth does seem to prevent this.

Posted via the Android Central App

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same issue with IHeartRadio since updating to Marshmallow. Turning off Bluetooth does seem to prevent this.

Posted via the Android Central App

Key words....."since updating to Marshmallow."

If wiping the system Cache Partition, doesn't work. I would recommend a Full Factory Reset. As I've mentioned before, with no exceptions, I do a factory reset after every major update, and I've never had any issues. Now, am I just lucky? Perhaps, but the only downfall of a reset is the chance of losing data, and with the awesome backup programs out there today, to include google's backup, the chances of that are slim to none. Don't get me wrong, try the Cache Partition Wipe, and if that solves your issue, then woo-hoo, you win! :-D

https://www.androidpit.com/what-to-do-before-an-android-update

Chris

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I tried clearing the cache and finally doing a factory reset. After all of that, the problem continues. I have noticed that my phone does seem a little warm when it does restart.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But do you notice if it gets hot while streaming music, and then shuts off? I seem to recall an issue like this with Pandora or some other streaming app recently.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I personally would be concerned for a shock hazard. If it were just getting warm, ok...but shutting down, not so good. Samsung is a little more generous than most might think, I speak from experience. I say this, because I personally think you should make a support ticket and let them look at it.

Here's my 2 experiences with Samsung's support. Note 2 was 3 years old....caught fire while sitting on the counter. Called them and told them what happened, expressed with kindness, that I've been a die-hard samsung fan since the beginning of time (yeah, i stretched it a little) but basically, I won them over a loyal samsung-fan. They sent me a refurbished one at not cost to me.

Dropped my s6 active from about 3 feet to my concrete, hit perfect, killed touch screen immediately....called and said all the right things again...you guessed it, they replaced the screen at no cost. They told me that if it wasn't covered under warranty, they would not charge me, and that they would just mail it back to me.

Sorry for the long story, but its my opinion, to contact them and express your concern for a fire hazard "specific to mention, after the update!"

Now, you could.....research how to flash the original software through Odin, if that's possible with sprint...not sure.

Hope this helps!

Chris

May 5, 2011
Visit site
It has happened once to me since the update from Sprint. Mine restarted after streaming iHeartRadio for about four or five hours. Hopefully not a trend.

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The thing is that it didn't do this before the mm update. I haven't tried any other streaming services other than iheart radio and tunein. It only does it while using iheart radio but not all of the time. I was streaming for 3 hours this morning and it didn't reset but did it several times in the same amount of time yesterday.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it didn't happen before the MM update and the fact that it is primarily with the iHeart Radio app suggests it's a problem with the current version of iHeart not interacting well with the new system update. Send feedback to the iHeart support team and see if they're aware of this issue: android@iheartradio.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress