note 5 still worth buying?

Nikmanp355

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
What do i have to look out for when buying a Note5 today in 2017? I am hesitating whether to buy one now due to the fact that the C7 pro nor any other good alternatives isn't available in my country, The S8 or upcoming note8 is not my cup of tea. Or should I just wait for the C7 pro (SD626) to be released officially? Currently rocking an iphone SE 32gb and a Redmi note 4 (625)...

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
At the end it's still a Note, and that counts for a lot. My battery seems to be holding its own after almost two years (my Note is one of the early releases). It's not as good as when new, but I can still get an entire day from it.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems to be flawless too.

This is actually my second. It's also Certified Pre Owned from Verizon. I bought my first new last October, and it had a September build date. From what I'd read, that makes it likely one of the last production runs because it was made while they were also dealing with the Note 7. The USB port went bad, and they replaced it with a first-run Note 5 from September 2015.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Mine seems to be flawless too.

This is actually my second. It's also Certified Pre Owned from Verizon. I bought my first new last October, and it had a September build date. From what I'd read, that makes it likely one of the last production runs because it was made while they were also dealing with the Note 7. The USB port went bad, and they replaced it with a first-run Note 5 from September 2015.
How do you check what build it is

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I found an app that tells when mine was manufactured, but being certified, I'm pretty sure stuff has been replaced because it's like new battery isn't bad at all. No screen burn issues or anything

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called PHONE INFO - SAMSUNG. It takes the IMEI and SN and breaks out the build date.

There was a sticker on the CPO replacement with the refurb date. It matches the manufacturing date on PHONE INFO. That date is different than the date revealed by the serial number on a different screen in PHONE INFO.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still have my Note 5 and use it everyday without a sim in it. I have an S8+ but I use my S7 Edge as my daily.

As far as the Note 5 goes, I always had a problem with it's battery life. No matter how many times i reset the phone and even restored the phone and left it sitting with NO apps installed, the battery would not last more then 8 hrs even with NO use. I even left it a home one day and came back from work and it was at about 23%.

The only way I could get battery life to last long enough to make my Note 5 worth using was to root and install a debloated ROM. I always said that this was the best phone that I bought up till then that I absolutely hated.

The battery life will never compare to what I get on my S7 Edge and S8+ though.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Maybe mine is in better shape that I thought. I routinely get through my day with 20-30% remaining. I'm not one of those people who obsess over every mA of power, but I like to think I'm smart about it. Display brightness at about 40% and AUTO, location to phone only, BT enabled, and WiFi automatically shuts down when I leave my home network. The only other thing that I've done is to disable most of the Verizon bloatware with Package Disabler. Oh, and I use a black theme with Nova.

I agree that the S7 Edge is a beast WRT power. I just picked up a new S8 yesterday, so we'll see how it compares. I really didn't need another phone because this Note is running really well, but I couldn't skip the low price this time. Someone (Samsung, Best Buy, or Big Red) is giving those things away, and I wanted mine.

whatyawant

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Sure. For now its currently running os 7.0 which is not that bad because it can do many stuff. I am a note 8 user and am gonna switch back to note 5 as my primary phone because note 8 is just to complicated.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
ok. so I'm going to bump this thread instead of asking the question again in a new thread...unless I don't get any responses.

I want to buy a Galaxy Note. I loved my Note 4. I gave it up because the warranty was running out and I had several issues with it. but I still loved it.

Is the Note 5 worth its price used? $240ish? is it really THAT much better than the Note 4? I'm going into personal training and I hate typing notes on the phone because it gives the client the false pretense that I'm texting.

Thanks.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
ok. so I'm going to bump this thread instead of asking the question again in a new thread...unless I don't get any responses.

I want to buy a Galaxy Note. I loved my Note 4. I gave it up because the warranty was running out and I had several issues with it. but I still loved it.

Is the Note 5 worth its price used? $240ish? is it really THAT much better than the Note 4? I'm going into personal training and I hate typing notes on the phone because it gives the client the false pretense that I'm texting.

Thanks.

If you want a good phone with Spen, then a Note 5 @ $240 seems like a great option for you.
I just got a security update on mime about two nights ago. Not sure how much longer they will provide those though.
I'm considering keeping mine for a while, even though my contract expires next month.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
If you want a good phone with Spen, then a Note 5 @ $240 seems like a great option for you.
I just got a security update on mime about two nights ago. Not sure how much longer they will provide those though.
I'm considering keeping mine for a while, even though my contract expires next month.

Do you have obnoxious slow downs or has it been okay? What do you do about storage? Is it realistic to rely on the cloud?

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
No obnoxious slow downs. Only real issue is the camera sometimes makes a weird sound sound and the screen gets blurry, when I do the quick launch. But it goes away after two seconds so not a big deal to me.
I have 64gb model and no problems with storage. OneDrive automatically backups up my photos and videos so I could delete them from my phone if needed. I don't have movies on here so I guess that could be a concern for some.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I still like my Note 5 very much. No slowness. I got a great deal on my Note 8, otherwise my Note 5 would still be my daily driver. It's now my backup device.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
No obnoxious slow downs. Only real issue is the camera sometimes makes a weird sound sound and the screen gets blurry, when I do the quick launch. But it goes away after two seconds so not a big deal to me.
I have 64gb model and no problems with storage. OneDrive automatically backups up my photos and videos so I could delete them from my phone if needed. I don't have movies on here so I guess that could be a concern for some.
That's the camera shaking. It is a know bug.

rpdc

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Pardon me for hijacking this thread but it seemed appropriate.
I just upgraded my AT&T Note5 to an S8 plus via att next program. I owe a balance of $149.00 on the Note5 and thought I might sell it. It is in mint condition. What might it be worth today?
Thank you for any help as I am new to this.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.

The Note5 is a wonderful device. IMO the model still has a few years of productive life.

As an aside, tell your client that you are just taking notes and not texting.....either way the perception from the other party will always be that you are ignoring them. It's not courteous, put the device down..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo