Accessing Note 5 SD card with a PC

Acadia_ca

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a Note 5. I know how to open the Note 5 folders and I can transfer mp3 files, videos and pictures back and forth between my phone and my PC, using a usb cable.

I want to open an .exe file on my phone. I'm installing Chromecast and I want the original installer which is on my PC. The one in the Google Play Store is different now and there are lots of negative reviews for it, with some people begging for the original one to be brought back. So I'd like to use the original one that I have, if possible.

I Googled and I found that if I installed the Inno Setup Extractor app on my phone, that I could transfer the Chromecast exe file to the SD card on my phone, and use the Inno Setup Extractor app to open it.

The problem is I don't know how to go about getting the exe file from my PC to the SD card on my phone.

I've tried Googling but all my searches turn up links about where you put the SD card into the phone but nothing about how to transfer files from a PC onto it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
1. You have to find the setup .exe file (original installer) on your computer.
2. Connect your phone (with SD card) to computer.
3. Copy and paste the installer file to SD card.
4. Use the Inno Setup Extractor app to open the file.
I have never used Inno Setup Extractor, but I think you don't need it in order to "transfer the Chromecast exe file to the SD card". Just find the Chromecast installer, and move it to your SD card as you do between phone memory and computer. You computer should recognize your SD card when connected.

Acadia_ca

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
1. You have to find the setup .exe file (original installer) on your computer.
2. Connect your phone (with SD card) to computer.
3. Copy and paste the installer file to SD card.
4. Use the Inno Setup Extractor app to open the file.
I have never used Inno Setup Extractor, but I think you don't need it in order to "transfer the Chromecast exe file to the SD card". Just find the Chromecast installer, and move it to your SD card as you do between phone memory and computer. You computer should recognize your SD card when connected.

Thank you for your response. However you haven't answered my question. I know how to move files back and forth from my PC to my phone.

For example if I want to move video or pictures, I view the folders on my phone and open the one that says DCMI. After that it's just a matter of copying and pasting or dragging and dropping files between that folder and my PC.

But how do I do that for the SD card? Is there a folder for the SD card? If so what is the name of that folder? I know how to move files I just don't know where to move them to.

If the SD card content is not in a folder, then where is the access to it?

I thought when I was viewing the folders from my phone using a USB cable, that the folders were on the "device" and not the SD card. When I save a contact I've been given two options the device or the SD card, I always pick device.

I know I have to put the file on the SD card. I just don't know how to virtually access the SD card once it's connected to the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 5. I know how to open the Note 5 folders and I can transfer mp3 files, videos and pictures back and forth between my phone and my PC, using a usb cable.

The problem is I don't know how to go about getting the exe file from my PC to the SD card on my phone.

I've tried Googling but all my searches turn up links about where you put the SD card into the phone but nothing about how to transfer files from a PC onto it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Explain where the SD card is on your Note 5 please. That would be a good place to start to help you.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You keep saying SD card. The Note 5 does NOT have an SD card. You can certainly copy files to the storage of the phone (the computer will see it like any other drive). But I repeat, you don't have an SD card in there.

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
First off, you shouldn't be trying to launch an EXE on your device. You will want to download a past verison's APK from a third party source. Just save it to Dropbox or even Google Drive and then open it on the phone. Once you change your security settings to allow installation from outside sources, it will automatically install after you click it.

Is that what you are going for? I can tell you that if you are trying to find an EXE on your phone's storage and install it, it's not going to end well for you.

Acadia_ca

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I Googled. Apparently the Note 5 does not have an SD card. It has something called OneDrive. I don't really know what that is or how to access that either. Here is the link:

Is there an SD card slot on Galaxy Note 5?

First off, you shouldn't be trying to launch an EXE on your device. You will want to download a past verison's APK from a third party source. Just save it to Dropbox or even Google Drive and then open it on the phone. Once you change your security settings to allow installation from outside sources, it will automatically install after you click it.

Is that what you are going for? I can tell you that if you are trying to find an EXE on your phone's storage and install it, it's not going to end well for you.

Yes that sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do.

I'll try Googling for an old version of the file as you suggested.

Thank you.

You keep saying SD card. The Note 5 does NOT have an SD card. You can certainly copy files to the storage of the phone (the computer will see it like any other drive). But I repeat, you don't have an SD card in there.

I kept using the term SD card because the instructions I found in Google said to copy the file to the SD card. As you said the Note 5 does not have an SD card. I just found that out from you and when I asked Google where to find the SD card. The phone has something called OneDrive. I'm not sure what that is or even how to access it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo21

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Onedrive is a microsoft product for cloud storage.

Look at your phone like a hard drive on your pc. When you plug in the usb, you have access to the available internal storage of the phone. You can go into file manager ans create a folder for you to put the apk into and run it from there on the phone.

Acadia_ca

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Onedrive is a microsoft product for cloud9 storage.

Look at your phone like a hard drive on your pc. When you plug in the usb, you have access to the available internal storage of the phone. You can go into file manager ans create a folder for you to put the apk into and run it from there on the phone.

Thank you! That makes sense!

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

I wanted to be a little more diplomatic. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38