$20 "upgrade fee" on VZW billing? Check your billing.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So I returned my Note 7 (to BB) - but my billing today shows a $20 upgrade fee on my bill.

I call VZW and the girl tells me "Well Samsung is going to give you a $25 credit which will offset that fee plus $5."

I asked how that's right if I have to pay another $20 upgrade fee in a week or so if I get another Note 7 and ultimately end up in the same place I was when the whole mess started. Two $20 upgrade fees in a month's time to end up with the 1 phone. She really couldn't answer my question and begrudgingly agreed to credit this first $20 upgrade fee back to my billing.

I was very nice to her and told I don't think Samsung's intent with the $25 credit was to offset carrier's upgrade fees (which are a whole 'nother thread) - but was more of a gesture of goodwill to say "sorry about all the hassles". She disagreed but did end up crediting my account.

Keep an eye on those bills.

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I returned my Note 7 (to BB) - but my billing today shows a $20 upgrade fee on my bill.

I call VZW and the girl tells me "Well Samsung is going to give you a $25 credit which will offset that fee plus $5."

I asked how that's right if I have to pay another $20 upgrade fee in a week or so if I get another Note 7 and ultimately end up in the same place I was when the whole mess started. Two $20 upgrade fees in a month's time to end up with the 1 phone. She really couldn't answer my question and begrudgingly agreed to credit this first $20 upgrade fee back to my billing.

I was very nice to her and told I don't think Samsung's intent with the $25 credit was to offset carrier's upgrade fees (which are a whole 'nother thread) - but was more of a gesture of goodwill to say "sorry about all the hassles". She disagreed but did end up crediting my account.

Keep an eye on those bills.

I had 2 $40 upgrade fees ($80) for my 2 Note 7's.Called Verizon and they took them off. Very nice reps. Did it I think because I have been with Verizon a long time.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had 2 $40 upgrade fees ($80) for my 2 Note 7's.Called Verizon and they took them off. Very nice reps. Did it I think because I have been with Verizon a long time.

Well other than a 4 month stint with ATT about 8 years ago - I've been with VZW for probably 15 years or so and have 6 lines with them. They struck me as not really giving 2 *#its about it. :)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Well other than a 4 month stint with ATT about 8 years ago - I've been with VZW for probably 15 years or so and have 6 lines with them. They struck me as not really giving 2 *#its about it. :)

I don't think there are many companies at all that care about customer longevity, some customers think it still means something, but I don't think it matters anymore.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
That's crap! I don't think they can do that. I'll call back and ask for a supervisor and threaten to report them or pass is on to the news.
Tmobile didn't charge me anything to return my N7.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Verizon loves to hit you with those $20. and $40. activation fees.
They tried hitting me with a $40. activation fee for a $99. Gear S2 classic watch.

Nikkilyn Nikkilyn

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, they call it an "Upgrade Fee". How did I upgrade from a Note 7 back to a Note 5? When I purchased the Note 7, they called it an "upgrade" then too (and charged me). Funny, you have to pay and then they can "credit your account"... why can't they just NOT GOUGE their customers?

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, they call it an "Upgrade Fee". How did I upgrade from a Note 7 back to a Note 5? When I purchased the Note 7, they called it an "upgrade" then too (and charged me). Funny, you have to pay and then they can "credit your account"... why can't they just NOT GOUGE their customers?

For me they credited it on the following statement. Along with the $25 from Samsung. Didn't even have to call. I was expecting them to futz it up, honestly,but nope.

Teamjones

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I had to call Sprint this morning to remove it

Just had a little argument with one of the Sprint stores when we went in to exchange. The rep told us we had to pay a upgrade fee and my response was "Pay an upgrade fee to downgrade?" She tried to say its really an activation fee and I came back with "this is something beyond my control. They recalled the phone, twice! So everytime it's not the customers fault, they still end up having to pay something?" She claimed she couldn't take it off, so we walked out.
Any monies that is associated with a involuntary recall should be handled between the vendor and supplier. No way should we, the customers, have to pay ANYTHING. All the carriers are worried about is commission. Then we have to deal with calling trying to get the charges reversed on the next billing cycle. Total bs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty