Are you buying the Galaxy Note7?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope, Moto Z force is where it's at for me. Sad really after being such a faithful note user over the years they already lost me with the last iteration.

My line up was:
Note 1
Note 2
Note 2 4g
Note 3
Note 4 (stolen)
Note 4 again (great phone)

... Oh well.

I do not like the Force, but like my MXPE. The force runs even hotter than the MXPE, no 3.5mm jack and smaller display. A lot of bezel space wasted.

Great build though.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, understood. When I said "reasonable" I meant not RRP from the telcos or Samsung directly.

I live in Singapore :) Here, most electronics from the big guys (Samsung, Microsoft, Apple etc.) are price controlled so no competition whatsoever from the mainstream retailers and telcos. On the other hand it's illegal to lock mobile phones here so pros and cons!

However, after a week or two from inital launch and after the telcos get their fill with pre-orders done, the smaller independant street stores start selling the phones sim free usually 10-20% cheaper than RRP with full local warranty. That's what I'm waiting for! I don't mind paying high price for this as I keep my phones for at least 2 years and the Note series is unique in the market offering functionality that no other phone does.
Understood I wish we could get them for 10-20% off a few weeks later, would be great if expect to pay 900.00 since my carrier ATT has it full retail after tax 879.00. So unlocked simple free international variant will definitely cost me.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I've seen a lot of posts where some folks think the Note 7 is the same as the S7e.
Even if the Note 7 was identical in size and shape and color and exactly the same hardware and software, it would not be an S7 Edge.
The Note 7 has something called an S Pen. That makes it a completely different phone.
The note series was designed for those who need or want the S Pen.
A phone is a tool and you need to buy the right tool for the job.

Then they might have as well just lunched the S-pen only or

Hold a media event for just the s-pen every august/september or

just release the S-pen with the S-Series so as to have "the right tool for the job" and forget about the Note line (after all, you can afford to just forget about the pen if you don't like it) or

Just release just the Notes every august/september and forget about the S-Series entirely

Cause I see no reason for putting out thesame phone but this time with the "right tool for the job" with an extra $900 tag on it..

Point being that the note line has to be different from the s-series in almost every way because its targeted at power users. Micro SD, removable battery, IR blasters, Updated Soc's, bigger batteries etc.
Those who like something else should then go for the S-Series.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: I have Note 5 and i found not a single reason to buy Note 7.

You know, it's like Ground Hog's Day around these forums every time a new phone comes out :).

1. Rumored specs of <insert new phone here> surface of all variations.
2. Phone is announced
3. Forums cling to the highest specs rumored and complain what a disappointment <insert new phone here> is because it didn't have the 10,000 MAH battery 24 gb of RAM and the 8K display :)

It happens every time, and it's actually pretty funny to watch lately I must admit. I don't want to make fun of people's expectations or their opinions, but there does seem to be quite the LACK of measuring expectations here. If anyone was paying attention the last week or 2, it was clear what was gonna be announced.
Seems like this is the new norm for phone launches.

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I love how it looks. Slightly disappointed by specs, mainly battery. But I think I will be downsizing my next phone when I upgrade my Note 4.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I just don't know. I'm not excited about it like I was my Note 4. If I am going to spend that kind of cash I want to be excited.

^ Exactly. This this this and this.. If I should spend that kind of money, i should at least be super excited, and it should be innovative, and intriguing at the very least. Charge 1,000 if you will but I want it to be innovative. Its the reason I've been using the nexus 5 for donkey years. Too many stale products for some years now (including the awefully boring nexus 5).
I thought that was what flagships were for?
Just got a Moto Z anyway..

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung's strategy with the 2016 flagship "7" line is pretty interesting.

There's no hardline between the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note anymore. Instead, all 3 are based on the same general platform, though aimed at different market segments.

Personally, I don't find that a bad thing, though some may feel differently.

I agree with you. Now that all 3 phones share the same platform, would it not make sense for all 3 versions of the next revision, the 8, to be released at the same time next spring? I doubt we would be hearing all the complaints about the same camera and processor in all three, that we are hearing now with the N7 release in August, after the S7 and S7E were released last spring.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

dkp

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I really missed the spen when I moved away from the note. The note 7 is perfect from my point if view. Take a proven product in the wildly successful S7 and add an spen to it.

I know that the Note has been the end of the year super phone for some people, the phone that has everything as long as you don't mind the size. Nowadays there are bigger phones, cheaper phones. I just want the spen and the great camera.

I already placed my preorder.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If they added a removable battery, IPS display, and IR blaster, I may be interested, but not holding my breath that Samsung will go that route on any phone.

While I agree that they're not likely to bring back any of those features, I'm curious what about IPS you like better than AMOLED displays? Samsung is the leader on AMOLED display production, so I don't expect them to use anything other than their own displays :p

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: I have Note 5 and i found not a single reason to buy Note 7.

What are you talking about? This seems silly. "Most" people even go by rivers or lakes? No one spills drinks, has a pool, etc, etc? I have a pool. I think it is great that they added water resistance. Maybe you don't. If you don't care, then that is fine and you don't care, but water resistance is important to many, many folks.

You know, it's like Ground Hog's Day around these forums every time a new phone comes out :).

1. Rumored specs of <insert new phone here> surface of all variations.
2. Phone is announced
3. Forums cling to the highest specs rumored and complain what a disappointment <insert new phone here> is because it didn't have the 10,000 MAH battery 24 gb of RAM and the 8K display :)

It happens every time, and it's actually pretty funny to watch lately I must admit. I don't want to make fun of people's expectations or their opinions, but there does seem to be quite the LACK of measuring expectations here. If anyone was paying attention the last week or 2, it was clear what was gonna be announced.

Most smart phones are pretty great nowadays. Needing SPEC upgrades is totally unimportant to me at this point (perhaps with the battery capacity being the 1 exception.) For example, no benefit would be achieved in everyday use if the Note 7 had a 821 instead of a 820 processor. It would not affect most folks day-to-day use one bit IMO. Same thing for including 6gb or RAM. Why? For what practical use? It just isn't needed for anything for the most part.

Whether folks choose to believe it or not, gone are the times where you would get a flagship and it was sloooow or has some awful camera (for the most part). Just about all new flagship upgrades are refinements and evolution of past models. The Note 7 has many many improvements over the Note 5. I am quite happy with the announcement,:)

If I had a "best post of Tuesday" award, this would probably get it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. Now that all 3 phones share the same platform, would it not make sense for all 3 versions of the next revision, the 8, to be released at the same time next spring? I doubt we would be hearing all the complaints about the same camera and processor in all three, that we are hearing now with the N7 release in August, after the S7 and S7E were released last spring.

I don't think it's likely for them to release a Note8 a mere 6 months after the Note7. That would leave a pretty sour taste in the mouths of Note7 users. Only Sony does a 6-month life-cycle. Nearly everyone else sticks to a one-year cycle.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Which enforces the sentiment some have that the Note is no longer the flag leader. Not adopting the newer chips up front also helps their profits since can leverage the volume from the 820 and their own current production of chips. No "pesky" new chips cutting into margins. If this sells well, the Note will repeat this next year.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that they're not likely to bring back any of those features, I'm curious what about IPS you like better than AMOLED displays? Samsung is the leader on AMOLED display production, so I don't expect them to use anything other than their own displays :p

Was hoping since Samsung is pushing VR, they would move away from Pentile and go to RGB + AMOLED for less screen door effect. The Samsung 5, 6 and 7's are no better with VR image quality than the Note 4. All have same screen door and now the new Gear has even wider FOV which should mean even more pronounced screen door.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope, the new features seem like gimmicks to me and whenever a glass wrapped phone comes out I count the dings on my current phone. Right now my two year old phone has 7 dents on the edges, if it was one of those glitzy glass wrapped phones then that would be 1400$ in repair costs. The note line went a different direction than I expected so v20 or nexus for me, which sucks since I really want MST.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's likely for them to release a Note8 a mere 6 months after the Note7. That would leave a pretty sour taste in the mouths of Note7 users. Only Sony does a 6-month life-cycle. Nearly everyone else sticks to a one-year cycle.

I don't think it is likely, but if the N7 isn't a hit, I wouldn't be surprised by a N8 release in the spring. The fact that all 3 Samsung phones share the same basic innards as well as the same 7 designation, points, perhaps, to a design philosophy change by the new Samsung design chief. Except for the 64 mb memory, Iris scanner, and s-pen, the S7E and N7 are basically the same.

In past years, the new Note release would harold new features to come in the next spring S releases. This year, the opposite occurred with the N7 copying most of what was new in last spring's S phones ( camera, water resistance, processor, etc). So instead of the N7 being a flagship, leading the way for improved phones to follow, the N7 seems to be following the lead of the S7E from last spring.

If this trend continues, Samsung may as well release all three models at one time. They are all versions of the same phone, differing only in a few features that would appeal to different market segments.

Daniel Ferrara

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
UGH

Preloaded apps from AT&T:
AT&T DriveMode®
AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Messages Backup & Sync
AT&T FamilyMap®
AT&T Locker
AT&T Protect Plus