Xda-Developers paints a different picture of the Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For the record, my Note7 is an Exynos variant. I wouldn't say it's lag-free, since all phones lag at some point, but so far, I haven't really experienced any serious performance issue. According to the article, the test was done on a Snapdragon-powered variant. Not deriding the 820 here, but it seems to be theme with Samsung devices, that the Exynos would perform better.

However, the only thing that's really bugging me is the keyboard lag in SwiftKey. It's terrible, especially for a fast-typer like me. Not sure if it's the phone or the keyboard, since the phone has performed quite well in other tasks.

I'm going to wait a bit for more Snapdragon Note7 users to share their experience, but my personal experience with my Exynos unit is alright.
I have SwiftKey lag issues here and there on my Note 5. It sometimes gets really bad with Hangouts especially.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It comes down to this.. Does the phone do what you want and you enjoy it?

Yes? Then use your phone and enjoy it.

No? Don't buy it.

Samsung phones work for me. With everything I am pretty much a brand specific person. I still eat the same potato chips and mustard brand, even batteries, I grew up on. I find a brand I like for everything and I don't switch if and until I don't like it anymore.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey sucks on everything, not just Samsung. If you're a tapper, use Flesky, otherwise use Google Keyboard. Simple.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
All I know is that my Note 7 is a significant improvement over my Note 5 and is doing everything I want it to do with little to no lag. I honestly don't have time to read about some site picking nits. As with any phone, if you don't like it, don't buy it or return it if you already have bought it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't have a 7, but I use Google Keyboard on the 5. As for the article itself...I'd almost take that with a grain of salt. As said earlier, XDA usually prefers a device that can be unlocked and rooted.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back - let's please try to stay on topic, don't attack people, don't argue over dumb stuff and follow the PUPPAH guidelines. I have it on good authority that VDub2174 is reading this thread, so let's try to keep him calm. It makes me sad when he gets all riled up. :p

#FearTheV

Just going to quote this again to bring it back in the forefront since I had to clean some posts. Maybe some missed it? Not sure. Please see above.

Thanks.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Android Police posted its review too and they also mention that performance was not on par with other phones. They did love the phone though. "While the Note7 isn't a*slowphone, it's slower than other Snapdragon 820 devices."

Tesla just announced that it is updating the Model X 'P' model with the same new running gear that the Model S 'P'.... OH MY GOD, the Model X lags like crazy, taking nearly 20% longer to get to 60 as the S, which has the same running gear.

Granted, it still does it in 2.9 seconds.... but the S is nearly a half second quicker!

So.. no reason to cry foul.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance

I wonder why many publications, including Android Central do not mention these issues..

I wouldn't expect anything better from a Samsung device. Touchwiz is still a badly written software that makes Android look bloated and bad.
I only trust AnandTech and XDA. Both are less than impressed with the Note 7.

I wish that people stop listening to the marketing hype and stop supporting Samsung. There are so many devices out there that are better.

I resumed my romance with Samsung with the Galaxy S2 and never looked back(to Nokia). Used S2-5 and crossed over to the Note 4. Still love it. I read the XDA article and think they raised several interesting points. It must be noted they opined that Samsung would solve some of the illustrated problems with later updates. Will the XDA opinion deter me from buying the Note 7? No. Because I've decided the pros of the phone(for me) still outweigh the cons including its price.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It comes down to this.. Does the phone do what you want and you enjoy it?

Yes? Then use your phone and enjoy it.

No? Don't buy it.

Samsung phones work for me. With everything I am pretty much a brand specific person. I still eat the same potato chips and mustard brand, even batteries, I grew up on. I find a brand I like for everything and I don't switch if and until I don't like it anymore.
This is the most sane post I've read in this thread. For God's sake if you don't like Samsung, don't buy Samsung! How much simpler could it be?! The people over at XDA are like the car or the motorcycle gearheads that have to nit pick every. single. spec. It's so tedious that I have vowed to stop reading any and all of that crap.

I love the Note 7, I just did 6 hours SoT yesterday with 19 hours on battery, I'm ecstatic! I got 2.5 hours SoT with the Note 5 and barely 9 hours on battery. I have NO complaints at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo