Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

Okay maybe 6 days later but I'm curious if any of my fellow iOS transplants have the itch to go back or have already? I was an android guy and tried the iPhone 6s+. I was jail broken so it felt android ish. My instant reaction to using the note is the poor quality of apps compared to their iOS counterpart. They just don't look or operate as well. Maybe it's a placebo. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

I really have no desire to go back to or even entertain the iPhone anymore. Not that it isn't a great smartphone because it is. And the iPhone may be the best smartphone choice for many. But just not me. I have found my home with the Note series.

Last edited:

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I've been moving my sim back and fourth for the past couple of days. The screen and design on the Edge are miles ahead. I've missed Androids customization - was a long time Android guy before going to iOS. Water resistance is nice and S-Pen seems cool. Seems like I've barely scratched the surface in terms of features so far. The camera is a notch above my 6S Plus. 64GB on board is great.

The iPhone is faster and more fluid, easily. The apps I use are all better on iOS. Load faster, better animations, transitions etc. Some are much nicer. The iPhone also seems to have better battery life, but this is TBD. The speaker is louder. I can see the speed, battery life and quick updates being entirely legit reasons to pick an iPhone no matter how awesome the Sammy design is.

I'll keep my Edge and look to the iPhone 7 sometime later this year if it turns out to be any good.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Love Devine I'm glad I'm not imagining the fact that iOS apps run smoother. It's not a contest really.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I've been cross platform for a few years, but this is the first time I didn't also have an iPhone at the same time as Android. There are a few apps I miss that are either not available on Android or are just flat out much better on iOS. I miss those, but that's mainly it for the moment. I'm not finding the SPen super useful yet, but this is my first Note. I'm hoping with time I find ways to make it more useful for me. I also experienced some performance hiccups that were starting to get to me, but after wiping the cache partition things seem to be running smoother.

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

I'm loving the actual phone quite a bit; it's so much smaller than my 6+; I do miss iMessage quite a lot. It was great being able to text on my computer without having to ask everyone I know to switch texting apps. Overall, it's definitely different, but I'm happy.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I've been a dual user for the last few years with Android being my primary. iOS can be a smoother experience but all the apps IMO still perform about the same with both platforms. They both have their times of lag. iOS ecosystem as a whole is still lacking so much. If you are not a big power user and not accustomed to customization then iOS will offer a better experience. The Note 7 is by far a more advanced tool vs the iPhone if being utilized properly.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
People are gonna miss iMessage and silky smooth use, I'm betting. Those are really the only reasons most everyone I know uses iOS. I know WhatsApp is used all over tbe world, but in my social circle, it's 98% iOS. People just love them some iMessage and aren't willing to give it up. YMMV.

But yeah I've used both. Have a work iPhone. I don't dislike it, but prefer Android for my personal device. I do like iMessage too. It's aggravating getting a video via MMS that's grainy and compressed to hell. Nobody is going to install another app if they are an iOS user. If your message isn't blue, they don't care about you. Silly yes. True yep.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

I've had iPhone back when the iPhone 5 came out. It got boring real quick, though. After a few months in, I've lost interest but had to stick with the phone since I was on a 2 year contract back then. Then two years pass by and I finally make the switch to Android for the first time. I went with the s5 and ever since then, I can't see myself ever going back to iPhone. I love Apple, for everything else (laptops/computers and tablets) except for the iPhone. I just love the freedom android software gives you. Apple, to me, is just way behind when comparing to android. I hate that you're forced to keep all apps on the home screen. I hate how you're forced to keep all apps, regardless of whether you use them or not. At least on android there's a way to disable and hide apps that you don't want to use. I like that you can customize your Android to any way you like without having to root/jailbreak your phone. There are just so many cons to iPhone in my case that no matter what apple does to innovate the iPhone, I cannot ever see myself ever being an iPhone user again.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I have had the Note 7 since release day and I am actually thinking about returning this Note. I'm am nowhere near a fan boy but I always find myself giving the Note series a try and then running back to iOS within a few days like I'm doing now.

It is a great device and I want love it and use it for a good bit of time but they battery life and quality of apps are killing me. One thing that I miss is all the apps that utilkze the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone. There are almost zero apps that use it for Android. Where I would quickly touch my fingerprint I find myself having to type my passwords in.

One pet peeve of android always have been the way they handle location services. I hate you have multiple options and based off on what's chosen yields different battery life. I think they way iOS manages location is just better IMO.

Sure it is miles ahead of Apple when it comes to the design but the fluidity and quality you get with the iPhone is second to none and that's what more important for me. I prefer a better user experience than having a device crammed with a bunch of features that you will never use.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Oh yeah, one more thing. I'll never like how compressed mms video is. It's plain awful compared to iMessage.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

I sold my 6s+ a little more than a week ago. I do miss a few aspects of the phone. The iphone is so smooth, app implementation is better (seems every app is built for iphone first), and the battery life. The screen didn't bother me much, but the lack of customization (camera roll specifically keeping a duplicate even when you move photo to different folder), not being able to put icons any orientation (without jailbreak), lack of water resistance. I cant see myself going back just yet. Happy with my note for now. I only originally went to iphone because they finally went to 5.5 inch screen. I wanted to try it.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I have had the Note 7 since release day and I am actually thinking about returning this Note. I'm am nowhere near a fan boy but I always find myself giving the Note series a try and then running back to iOS within a few days like I'm doing now.

It is a great device and I want love it and use it for a good bit of time but they battery life and quality of apps are killing me. One thing that I miss is all the apps that utilkze the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone. There are almost zero apps that use it for Android. Where I would quickly touch my fingerprint I find myself having to type my passwords in.

One pet peeve of android always have been the way they handle location services. I hate you have multiple options and based off on what's chosen yields different battery life. I think they way iOS manages location is just better IMO.

Sure it is miles ahead of Apple when it comes to the design but the fluidity and quality you get with the iPhone is second to none and that's what more important for me. I prefer a better user experience than having a device crammed with a bunch of features that you will never use.
I hear you on the fingerprint scanner convenience with iPhone. Developers weren't able to utilize the fingerprint scanner on Android until version 6 (marshmallow) which is now getting on more phones as of the last few months. So now apps like my Chase Bank, PayPal and my Work email app now utilize it with more apps to come.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I hear you on the fingerprint scanner convenience with iPhone. Developers weren't able to utilize the fingerprint scanner on Android until version 6 (marshmallow) which is now getting on more phones as of the last few months. So now apps like my Chase Bank, PayPal and my Work email app now utilize it with more apps to come.

I'm really hoping Wells Fargo supports it soon. Took a long time for it support it on iOS, but it's much faster than typing in my PW.

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah idk I have to see but the main thing is the battery life that's doing it for me right now. Just not up to par.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

One more main reason why I can't get rid of Samsung specifically. Samsung Pay is AMAZING! 😂😜

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Yeah idk I have to see but the main thing is the battery life that's doing it for me right now. Just not up to par.
Yeah battery life is always going to be better with iOS because they don't let apps run for long periods of time in the background.

To me battery life is not even a consideration these days with a device because I'll never be satisfied with the way I use them. Even when I tried my 6s+ exclusively for a whole week I still couldn't get a full day of battery. With fast charging and wireless charging available I don't even think about it anymore.

AhemThisGuy

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

One of tbr main reason why I jumped to Samsung was because of all the leaked images of the "new" IPhone. Felt disappointed. And then I stepped into best buy and held the phone (N7) in my hand. It felt really nice and comfy. The all black looked too awesome. I might go back for their 10th anniversary IPhone if all the hype is true.

Joska5

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

I think you are right. I phone is to expensive and no flexibility, no customization.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Oh yeah, one more thing. I'll never like how compressed mms video is. It's plain awful compared to iMessage.

yep. this is one reason why I can't give up iMessage. 99% of the contacts I communicate with often have iPhones. iMessage multimedia sharing is far superior to MMS. I wish all OEMS and carriers would adopt RCS so that we could still have good multimedia sharing and not have to be locked to iMessage.
Have you tried to share the video via Google Photos instead? send a link to your contacts so they can view the full res video instead of inline with MMS? I don't have my Note 7 yet but was going to try that to see if it would work in place of iMessage.