Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

Technically, you could and maybe should be using a password manager app anyway like LastPass. If you do, you'll find that it automatically fills in the auto-generated and much more secure passwords into any app you use that still requires a username and password. Unlike iOS, where no app can paint over another, in Android, LastPass can insert usernames and passwords into any other app. You also don't have to log in with your fingerprint every single time. Just every few minutes (you decide). So this issue should be a non-issue if you invest in a decent password vault/manager, and you'll have better security too.

Also, the battery life issue is mostly related to standby time. That has been resolved in Android N. My 6P on Android N has phenomenal battery life, akin to the iPhone 6S+. So in a few months, battery life should be sorted. Also don't forget that a Quick charge 2.0 charger is insanely cheap at about $15, and it charges the Note7 far more quickly than any iPhone charges. You can plug it in for 15 minutes and get back enough juice for the rest of the day.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Okay maybe 6 days later but I'm curious if any of my fellow iOS transplants have the itch to go back or have already? I was an android guy and tried the iPhone 6s+. I was jail broken so it felt android ish. My instant reaction to using the note is the poor quality of apps compared to their iOS counterpart. They just don't look or operate as well. Maybe it's a placebo. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I went back yesterday. My wife had me return hers in the morning due to not liking that it didn't easily communicate across all of our Apple devices. I knew that I would get to thinking about returning mine as well. Sure enough I got home and a couple of hours later, I was boxing it up and calling T-Mobile for a return label.

I love that hardware but android as a whole lets me down fairly quickly after the wow factor wears off. The lag (yes it exists people) was starting to bother me and some apps that works flawlessly on my iPhone fell flat on their face on android and barely worked right with the stuttering and lag. I was going to wait for an update to see if Samsung ironed out bugs but I just knew that when I really was wanting to return it, my window would be closed. So I was back at ups hours later, dropping mine off as well. I'll miss that s pen and the screen. Oh that screen...

anon(62000)

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. So my take on that is that it all relates to MMS, which I almost never use. So MMS seems faster, animations, less compression, and works on Wifi for your carrier in iMessage. Good stuff. Anything else?

iMessage is also available on the Mac, so you can read your messages on your computer, as well as on iPhone and iPad. That's one thing I'll miss.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Well here are some of the things I find myself missing on my 6s+:

iMessage - I know there are some options for this but since majority of my co-workers and family are on iMessage the integration doesn't work the same

Wallet- love having all of passes and gift cards handy in that app.

Apple Pay - Maybe it's just because I haven't set up Android pay again but when I used it on my Note 5 NFC would stay in and drain my battery when not using Android pay.

Notifications - On the one hand I like the blinking light on this device. Missed it actually. On the other hand I LOVED getting notifications that would turn my iPhone screen on and then allow me to respond to that notification without unlocking the phone at all.

Thanks really it. Some apps I agree run better on iPhone but I'm not really torn on that side. Only app that really is making me mad on Android is Facebook. I have notification icon next to the FB icon even though I've got zero notifications turned on or allowed both in the app and on the phone.

On battery I'm finding that I'm getting 9-11 hours with 4-4.5 hours of SOT. That's bdtter than my Note 5 gave me. Still not giving me the 12--14 hours on my iPhone. But I did tell myself that if I can get a routine 10 hours and 4 hours of SOT given my heavier use I'd take it.

PLUS. I'd always charge my iPhone around 5pm on my drive home for 30-40 minutes and that added 15-20% so doing that on this phone adds 50-60% which is a lot better (I haven't done it on my drive yet but have st home).

Overall I'm not dropping this phone. I might be persuaded on an iPhone 8 with some sort of radical overhaul and even bigger batteries but that's a full year away and who knows, the Note 8 might get a 4000 battery and improve even more.

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Not sure if you know this but samsung pay will store gift cards (certain ones) and memberships. I read that Samsung uses the technology form Mobeam, which let's the Note 7 send back a pulse of light to the bar code scanner Vs. Trying to get a reflection of the code form the glass of the screen itself. I tried at two places yesterday and it work wonderfully!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Since I have both, an iPhone for work, and Android phones for personal use, and have only seen one app that got a significant update to iOS a few months before the same update to Android, and I have all of my apps on both, I'm just curious what are some examples of these apps that are so much better on iOS. That seems to be a common understanding here. So I'm not arguing the point, just curious.

Severed is a game I had and loved on iOS that's not available on Android. My favorite news feed HeartFeed is also not on Android. IMDB is gimped on Android compared to iOS. I don't really use Google services or apps very often. YouTube I use a decent amount on my off days, but that's the only thing I use a lot. I don't use gmail (other than to sign in to Android), I don't use Google Photos, Drive, and in my area Apple Maps is actually better than Google Maps. I'm assuming it's because I don't use many Google services, but I find Siri better than Google Now.

Again. I'm not saying iOS is better for everybody, or even me for that matter. When I had my 6s Plus I spent about equal time with it and my Robin. And I like my Note a lot! I'm just giving examples of why some can prefer iOS to Android, and you asked for specifics on apps that were better/unavailable.

Android and the Note 7 has many advantages over iOS. It's just a matter of weighing options.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I use a lot of Google services which compliments the choice of moving from the iPhone to the Note. My battery life is so much better now after 3 days. Not like my 6S Plus for sure but getting very good. Plus the quick charge is awesome. Only thing I miss is iMessage like many people.

My wife has an iPhone and I have Google Photos on there so when she takes pics and videos I see it within a few minutes and vice versa. Her pics sent by MMS come in clear on my Note but obviously video is brutally compressed. Extremely happy with moving to the Note and now use the Spen all the time. Will have my Spigen Neo Hybrid on Monday. 😊

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site

I am loving the Note7. I have had it about 5 days now, coming from an iPhone 6s. There really are only 3 things I miss from iPhone. First is iMessage. Love how iMessage integrates across multiple devices. 2nd, I miss how iphone/ipad/mac enables phone calling from any device. I got used to that. 3rd is just battery life. I don't see a huge difference, it is about 20 to 25%. I am still able to get a full day, but just barely (only 3 hrs SOT so far for me). Now, I have not used any power saving modes so I can't complain to much.

Overall it is going to be a tough choice in a few days. Love this device...and the iPhone. so many pros and cons to weigh. ah...first class problems huh :)

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

What I found is that once you adopt a few of the Google apps, like Google Photos, which with its insanely brilliant search capabilities where if you search for photos of people, it will find them all the way to when they were kids, these issues go away. If you stick to exactly the same apps or close that you were using for the basics on the iPhone, or just the stock apps, the experience is lacking a lot. Google Now is also much more useful in real world scenarios than Siri in my experience. I use it a lot, and it proactively reminds me to leave at a certain time due to traffic, to make an appointment that isn't even in my calendar, just one it knows I've been going to every Saturday at around the same time.

+1 for Google Photos -- even if you are on iOS you should be using this app
+1 for Google Now -- it is my most used app for sure. i check it reflexively throughout the day

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Technically, you could and maybe should be using a password manager app anyway like LastPass. If you do, you'll find that it automatically fills in the auto-generated and much more secure passwords into any app you use that still requires a username and password. Unlike iOS, where no app can paint over another, in Android, LastPass can insert usernames and passwords into any other app. You also don't have to log in with your fingerprint every single time. Just every few minutes (you decide). So this issue should be a non-issue if you invest in a decent password vault/manager, and you'll have better security too.

+1 on LastPass, the app you will use all the time without remembering you are using it. It is that slick an useful. I switched to using it a few years ago, and now all my passwords are strong. Love it!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

You mentioned setting up Android Pay. I strongly suggest setting up Samsung Pay. From what I can tell it does everything that Apple Pay does and more. Samsung pay is what mobile payments should be.

It does
NFC payments
Payments on "swipe" only terminals (Apple can't do this)
Store loyalty cards
Add gift cards

Well here are some of the things I find myself missing on my 6s+:

iMessage - I know there are some options for this but since majority of my co-workers and family are on iMessage the integration doesn't work the same

Apple Pay - Maybe it's just because I haven't set up Android pay again but when I used it on my Note 5 NFC would stay in and drain my battery when not using Android pay.

Notifications - On the one hand I like the blinking light on this device. Missed it actually. On the other hand I LOVED getting notifications that would turn my iPhone screen on and then allow me to respond to that notification without unlocking the phone at all.

Thanks really it. Some apps I agree run better on iPhone but I'm not really torn on that side. Only app that really is making me mad on Android is Facebook. I have notification icon next to the FB icon even though I've got zero notifications turned on or allowed both in the app and on the phone.

On battery I'm finding that I'm getting 9-11 hours with 4-4.5 hours of SOT. That's bdtter than my Note 5 gave me. Still not giving me the 12--14 hours on my iPhone. But I did tell myself that if I can get a routine 10 hours and 4 hours of SOT given my heavier use I'd take it.

PLUS. I'd always charge my iPhone around 5pm on my drive home for 30-40 minutes and that added 15-20% so doing that on this phone adds 50-60% which is a lot better (I haven't done it on my drive yet but have st home).

Overall I'm not dropping this phone. I might be persuaded on an iPhone 8 with some sort of radical overhaul and even bigger batteries but that's a full year away and who knows, the Note 8 might get a 4000 battery and improve even more.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Since I have both, an iPhone for work, and Android phones for personal use, and have only seen one app that got a significant update to iOS a few months before the same update to Android, and I have all of my apps on both, I'm just curious what are some examples of these apps that are so much better on iOS. That seems to be a common understanding here. So I'm not arguing the point, just curious.
Fitbit, my fitness pal, fidelity. Scrabble doesn't have a pay version so you deal with ads...some of the others are just different so it takes some getting used to, but those are ones I use a lot that are better on iOS.

In fairness I think audible is better on Android as you can shop within it, so that's a win on this side.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

You mentioned setting up Android Pay. I strongly suggest setting up Samsung Pay. From what I can tell it does everything that Apple Pay does and more. Samsung pay is what mobile payments should be.

It does
NFC payments
Payments on "swipe" only terminals (Apple can't do this)
Store loyalty cards
Add gift cards

My only thing with Samsung Pay is support from banks/card issuers. Only my bank supports Samsung Pay. None of my credit cards. Apple Pay does loyalty and gift cards as well. I do like that Samsung Pay theoretically works anywhere that accepts credit/debit, but my experience is that it doesn't always work. Could be user error on my part. Still getting used to it honestly.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Just 3 day in and I am super impressed with the note 7. The size alone blows me away compared to the 6s plus it great to hold in your hand even with a case on it. Samsung did a great job with the S7 devices this is probably why they are outselling apple again.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if you know this but samsung pay will store gift cards (certain ones) and memberships. I read that Samsung uses the technology form Mobeam, which let's the Note 7 send back a pulse of light to the bar code scanner Vs. Trying to get a reflection of the code form the glass of the screen itself. I tried at two places yesterday and it work wonderfully!

With Wallet it's more than that. It's movie tickets, concert tickets, airline tickets, all in one convenient spot.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

My only thing with Samsung Pay is support from banks/card issuers. Only my bank supports Samsung Pay. None of my credit cards. Apple Pay does loyalty and gift cards as well. I do like that Samsung Pay theoretically works anywhere that accepts credit/debit, but my experience is that it doesn't always work. Could be user error on my part. Still getting used to it honestly.

They're adding hundreds a week, so hopefully that will change. All of mine are now supported. For me, once I got used to the angle I have to hold the phone at to user MST, I've found it works literally everywhere except gas stations.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Severed is a game I had and loved on iOS that's not available on Android. My favorite news feed HeartFeed is also not on Android. IMDB is gimped on Android compared to iOS. I don't really use Google services or apps very often. YouTube I use a decent amount on my off days, but that's the only thing I use a lot. I don't use gmail (other than to sign in to Android), I don't use Google Photos, Drive, and in my area Apple Maps is actually better than Google Maps. I'm assuming it's because I don't use many Google services, but I find Siri better than Google Now.

Again. I'm not saying iOS is better for everybody, or even me for that matter. When I had my 6s Plus I spent about equal time with it and my Robin. And I like my Note a lot! I'm just giving examples of why some can prefer iOS to Android, and you asked for specifics on apps that were better/unavailable.

Android and the Note 7 has many advantages over iOS. It's just a matter of weighing options.

Thanks. I appreciate the examples.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

They're adding hundreds a week, so hopefully that will change. All of mine are now supported. For me, once I got used to the angle I have to hold the phone at to user MST, I've found it works literally everywhere except gas stations.

I'm not giving up on it. Just need to give it a few tries. Just happens so far when I've tried to use it the stores have been busy with a line. I try once and give up because I don't wanna hold up the line. It worked flawlessly at 2 places. The others not so much.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Fitbit, my fitness pal, fidelity. Scrabble doesn't have a pay version so you deal with ads...some of the others are just different so it takes some getting used to, but those are ones I use a lot that are better on iOS.

In fairness I think audible is better on Android as you can shop within it, so that's a win on this side.

Thanks. Appreciate the examples.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm not giving up on it. Just need to give it a few tries. Just happens so far when I've tried to use it the stores have been busy with a line. I try once and give up because I don't wanna hold up the line. It worked flawlessly at 2 places. The others not so much.

Yeah, it's a but finicky, and I hear you on not wanting to hold up a line :). Once I got it working well, I am at a point where on summer weekends I leave home with just my phone and my driver's license. Hopefully others can get there too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez