Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

iOS ???

2b917f92b45e99287e37f785ec9c8994.gif

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I came from iOS since 3GS long ago. That was a really good phone at that time. But i jumped to Android after that as I wanted a larger screen, and iPhone 4 and 4s could not provide that. Like Android for its customization (never root before) , went through a few phones though i never felt Android is really better than iPhone. Both have their pros and cons.

Was envious of iPhone 6 when it came out, having the screen size and design that I really like. Luckily i stayed on and Note 7 came out, which i find is truly the almost perfect Android phone i finally got.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
The performance is horrible! Apps reload, the phone feels laggy and battery life is bad for a phone with such a large capacity. I actually regret purchasing it because the galaxy S7 edge had a smooth UI and fast performance from what I have seen. Very disappointed in the note 7 so far. Sure, the design is great and I like the blue color a lot, but the software needs to be further optimized.
I had the same experience. Writing this on my edge. Returned the note 7 in the recall

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

The pixel is coming soon.
Im expecting the pixel to be just another rendition of a stock Android experience and nothing special hardware wise......I really don't get what people are expecting from the phone....It's not like Google is making hardware now and trying to be like Apple, HTC is making the device.....To me it's all marketing hype ...

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The performance is horrible! Apps reload, the phone feels laggy and battery life is bad for a phone with such a large capacity. I actually regret purchasing it because the galaxy S7 edge had a smooth UI and fast performance from what I have seen. Very disappointed in the note 7 so far. Sure, the design is great and I like the blue color a lot, but the software needs to be further optimized.

I really wonder, is your Note 7 unit laggy, or different people have different definitions of lag?

One side we have people saying their Note 7 has no lag at all, smooth like butter. On the other side people are saying it lags badly. Are we all using the same phone? :p

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I really wonder, is your Note 7 unit laggy, or different people have different definitions of lag?

One side we have people saying their Note 7 has no lag at all, smooth like butter. On the other side people are saying it lags badly. Are we all using the same phone? :p
I've wondered the same thing myself. The lag that is talked about makes me laugh. Is there lag? If there is its very slight and I'm on my second phone.

I also came over from iPhone 6s+ and this phone blows that away minus battery life. iPhone gave me consistent 12 hours of heavy use on single charge.

Like my Note 5 before the iPhone this one gives me 8-10 hours on one charge.

But. But. But. Fast charge changes everything. A quick 10-15 min charge and you're up 15-20% again and added another 90-120 min of battery life.

On my iPhone a 10-15 charge would increase it 5-8%.

people psyche themselves out with battery. Obsession with it is amazing. I was the same way. Not any longer.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

A fast charge doesn't help if you are nowhere near a charger. There are days I'm in the middle of nowhere and the combo of bad cell reception and short battery life can be....frustrating. These phones do a lot of stuff in the background. Restrict background data and see how much longer your battery lasts.

emilysmom2003

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I have no desire to go back. I was an iPhone user for several years, switched when the Note 7 came out and can't believe what I've missed being stuck in the iOS ecosystem for so long. The customization alone is worth sticking with the Note 7. I won't bash Apple because they make an amazing product, but I believe this is the best smartphone on the market right now.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

A fast charge doesn't help if you are nowhere near a charger. There are days I'm in the middle of nowhere and the combo of bad cell reception and short battery life can be....frustrating. These phones do a lot of stuff in the background. Restrict background data and see how much longer your battery lasts.
So you're often in an area with either

1. No wall outlets
2. No car charger

Is that what you're saying? Maybe that's the case but these days that is rare.

I also bought a charging brick just in case. Ive used it twice. And after a 20 min charge I was 30-40% more.

chin chen

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site

Im expecting the pixel to be just another rendition of a stock Android experience and nothing special hardware wise......I really don't get what people are expecting from the phone....It's not like Google is making hardware now and trying to be like Apple, HTC is making the device.....To me it's all marketing hype ...

Whats the difference? Foxconn makes the iphone, so i dont see the difference if it is Htc, Foxonn or whoever

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

So you're often in an area with either

1. No wall outlets
2. No car charger

Is that what you're saying? Maybe that's the case but these days that is rare.

I also bought a charging brick just in case. Ive used it twice. And after a 20 min charge I was 30-40% more.

Yes. My job often finds me in the great outdoors. Another rare example but pertinent to my situation-I periodically run 100 mile ultras. Every time I've run one with my iPhone on board, it's made it to the finish line the next morning with a charge. The only one I ran with a Samsung, my S4 Active, it was dead by midnight. And I'm not even a Note user now, I've got a Galaxy S7 Active, with an even bigger battery. Look, I love everything else about the Samsung phones vs. the iPhone. I won't go back if I can help it. I only had an iPhone 6 Plus because my wife got it and decided it was too big for her to use. I'm willing to accept a little bit less battery life because of some features I didn't have on the iPhone. But it's just disappointing that you have to go in a tinker with settings and disable advertised features on a Samsung phone to get the same battery life you get from an iPhone (with a smaller battery) practically out of the box.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes. My job often finds me in the great outdoors. Another rare example but pertinent to my situation-I periodically run 100 mile ultras. Every time I've run one with my iPhone on board, it's made it to the finish line the next morning with a charge. The only one I ran with a Samsung, my S4 Active, it was dead by midnight. And I'm not even a Note user now, I've got a Galaxy S7 Active, with an even bigger battery. Look, I love everything else about the Samsung phones vs. the iPhone. I won't go back if I can help it. I only had an iPhone 6 Plus because my wife got it and decided it was too big for her to use. I'm willing to accept a little bit less battery life because of some features I didn't have on the iPhone. But it's just disappointing that you have to go in a tinker with settings and disable advertised features on a Samsung phone to get the same battery life you get from an iPhone (with a smaller battery) practically out of the box.
Sorry. I don't have to tinker or disable much of all. The only thing I do is stuff that shouldn't be on the phone to start with.

When I got my iphone I changed a LOT of stuff centered around location and advertising. You can't customize a lot but I did with those.

I did get 12-14 hours on the Plus. I get 10-12 on this but with fast charge it averages to 14-16 easily.

And in a pinch I can use Power Saving mode and customize it. I don't even go crazy with that. I just move it to the display setting that the iPhone is at currently, HD, and I get another hour.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, to give a relevant update on my experience... After getting a notification from AT&T Protec support about battery life yesterday, I gave them a call. They had me clear my cache, which did nothing. Told me to disable fast charging, which did nothing. But restricting background data seems to have really stretched the battery out. Much more so than putting it in power saving mode.

I dunno. Maybe I did tinker more than I realized w/ my iPhone. I turned off all the location based stuff, too. But I know plenty of days where I didn't use my iPhone much and it retained most of it's charge through the day while my Galaxy doesn't seem to care as much that I'm not using it, lol. I DO leave Google or Google Now (whatever you call it) running on my Galaxy because that's a neat thing to have and pretty handy. But otherwise, I'm just texting or reading FB with maybe an hour of streaming video while I run on the treadmill on days I'm in my office for lunch. In this restricted data mode I'm currently in, which doesn't seem too restricted, my usage meter is predicting I'll get a total of 16 hrs out of my phone. That's up from eleven hours yesterday.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just left after having many iphones. I even had the 7 plus and sent it back because of all the noise issues it had. The new Note 7 I now own is awesome except for battery life My s7 edge blows it away in this area so far. I'm not sure what is eating it up, but already had to charge it back up once today. But since I charged it back up, it has stayed at 95% for the last hour and hasn't dropped. So not sure what is going on.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

In my experience it's not just tech savvy people that use Hangouts necessarily. But it's mostly all-in Googlers that use it. None of my iPhone only friends use it. They just don't see the point. And I kinda agree with them. I have Hangouts, but I've only used it twice. Once because a buyer of my Moto 360 preferred it, and because a product manager at Nextbit wanted to use it for a video chat.

I find Hangouts to have to many options available which makes it hard to move around in. I pretty much feel that same way about any messaging app other than SMS because everybody has to have the same app or its no good. At least with imessage if a none iphone user wanted to contact you it could seemlessly. No extra hoops it just went right through via the carrier. This day and time most if not all plans include unlimted messaging so the 3rd party apps don't have the allure they used to

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

I tried What's App, but nobody I message regularly uses it so I deleted it. I just can't get my iOS friends to try anything other than iMessage. I get why. All the people we chat with on a daily basis use iOS. There's just no real reason for them. Personally I like to try new things and experiment, but they've found a solution that works for them so they stick with it.

What is it about imessage. as far regular normal sms (text) most plans these days include unlimted texting. I'm sure a large percentage of traffic on iMessage is normal text messaging. Another thing people may not think about is if your out and about away from wifi iMessage uses data because it does not go across your carrier network but travels instead via data through apples servers. Just Saying you know...

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

WhatsApp is very popular with the international crowd -- due to roaming and higher Android use I think. Folks I message with are on iOS, Android and Windows, so for group texting, it had to be WhatsApp. We have a lot of ex-US friends and family in the group, so everybody used it. I, like you, had deleted it long ago due to no usage, but came back in the last year or so.

iMessage lock-in reminds me of BBM. That kept me on Black Berry for a generation or two longer than I should have stayed.

I still use SMS and Hangouts for certain friends. A unified messaging service would be awesome.

That what iMessage is. If your text cannot go via iMessage due to a person on a non apple device then it will travel via carrier network. As far as a text message what difference does it make if it goes through apple servers or via carrier network. Actually via apple servers uses data if your away from wifi and carrier network does not and since most plans these days have unlimited texting right not let the carrier route be the default route and save the data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That what iMessage is. If your text cannot go via iMessage due to a person on a non apple device then it will travel via carrier network. As far as a text message what difference does it make if it goes through apple servers or via carrier network. Actually via apple servers uses data if your away from wifi and carrier network does not and since most plans these days have unlimited texting right not let the carrier route be the default route and save the data.
Depends. If sending a video or something it is a drastic difference if going through carrier or apple servers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress