Oculus warns note 7 users against gear use

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That could be bad. Watching a movie and the thing starts on fire your like this is realistic.

But on serious note good advice. I remember using mine with the note 5 and the phone got pretty hot

rajeeee

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Well I couldn't resist the temptation to play. There are lenses between the Note 7 and my eyes; that should serve as protection if it explodes. Besides I am feeling my Note 7 every few minutes to monitor the temperature, so should be fine.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I couldn't resist the temptation to play. There are lenses between the Note 7 and my eyes; that should serve as protection if it explodes. Besides I am feeling my Note 7 every few minutes to monitor the temperature, so should be fine.

Right, it's only your vision.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up!

Pun intended? LOL!

I don't have a Gear VR, but I have noticed my N7 runs a little warm when rendering graphics (e.g. a YouTube video). But I'm not clear on how this could cause the battery to catch fire. I thought that could only happen while the phone was charging?

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Pun intended? LOL!

I don't have a Gear VR, but I have noticed my N7 runs a little warm when rendering graphics (e.g. a YouTube video). But I'm not clear on how this could cause the battery to catch fire. I thought that could only happen while the phone was charging?

Some people have said the phone can kaboom while not charging. I wouldn't risk your eyesight. I returned mine since the risk of a fire was worrying. I'll likely get a new one once this is sorted.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used the device on the new gear VR but going by experience with the S7, the device got very warm while using. Since it's so intensive on the device it also drained battery fast and even after a certain amount of time the VR wouldn't let you watch anything because it wants you to let your device cool down. So I can imagine if that was the norm, it's real important to stay away from it until you get a replacement.