Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So this story from Gizmodo covers the topic and they claim to have received an actual response from the FAA stating it is being considered:
The FAA Is Considering a Ban on Samsung's Exploding Smartphones

Apparently a ban would have been a much more likely outcome if Samsung had done an official recall through the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, but because Samsung didn't do that it is a murkier issue.

I already submitted my response to Tmo via the email I received that I want to exchange my Note 7, but I gotta say I am now strongly considering going to the Tmo store and just getting a refund. I also have a Samsung wireless charging pad that I got for my b-day in August that I hope I can return to Tmo (even though I didn't buy it from them?) for a refund.

This sucks the big one and is an absolute deal killer. I've got to be able to fly...do it several times a year for work and family stuff. I'll give it until early next week and if there is no clarity by then on the FAA issue then I'm going to return my Note 7 and use my 6p and wait to see what the next Nexus phone bring. :'(

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'd be surprised if the airport security agents had enough time or the knowledge to inspect every smartphone that is brought onto a plane. Also, not every phone is the same color, has a logo showing, or hasn't been customized in some unrecognizable way.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It would be difficult enough for airport screeners to distinguish Note 7s from other phones. But how would they ever distinguish the pre-recall Note 7s from the post-recall Note 7s? Or would all Note 7s be banned forever?

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
It would be difficult enough for airport screeners to distinguish Note 7s from other phones. But how would they ever distinguish the pre-recall Note 7s from the post-recall Note 7s? Or would all Note 7s be banned forever?

Exactly, they won't be able to tell the difference

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I also have a Samsung wireless charging pad that I got for my b-day in August that I hope I can return to Tmo (even though I didn't buy it from them?) for a refund.

I highly doubt they refund something they didn't sell you (Like going to Target to get a refund on something purchased at Wal-Mart).

From my understanding, since it's a voluntary recall (which means not everyone will replace theirs), there'd be no way for them to know which one is safe, leaving the "unreplaced ones" a safety issue so they'll ban them all (and most probably forever).

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, since it's a voluntary recall (which means not everyone will replace theirs), there'd be no way for them to know which one is safe, leaving the "unreplaced ones" a safety issue so they'll ban them all (and most probably forever).
Even if the recall were mandatory, there'd still be thousands of users who keep their original phones.

A total and permanent Note 7 ban on planes would make the phone useless for most people. Which means it's not going to happen.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
A total and permanent Note 7 ban on planes would make the phone useless for most people. Which means it's not going to happen.

This is the FAA we are talking about, who could give a flying crap about making some single-digit % of the US mad because they banned their phones. If they determine that this is a significant enough hazard to the general flying public, they will ban them. And yes, since it will be impossible to tell a pre- from post-ban Note 7, they will all get banned.

Yes, 8 out of 10 times when I have flown the TSA agents don't catch (or nail me anyway) for my excessive amount of toothpaste, or whatever. But the 9th time they do see it in the xray and make me leave it. And the 10th time I get selected for a random toss of my entire carry-on contents. No way in hell I am taking that chance.

I swear, if I end up returning this phone by next Monday because no clear decision has been made on this issue, I will swear off Samsung for life. I am so p***ed off about this.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
If the issue is occurs while charging phones this would be a good time to think about banning CHARGING any phone on airplanes. This would cover off the Note 7 risk and any other risk.

Also wth are you guys (Gizmodo) asking specific questions like that??? Geez. Just leave it alone. Samsung is looking after it!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

In other words, Blue Coral owners are screwed? :)

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
i never even thought of this complication. Thanks a lot Gizmodo (proving their Apple bona fides). Even the S7 Edge looks so much like the GN7 makes it a tough carry if this happens. I really don't want to return and quit on this bad boy, but this would be a nail in the coffin.

And yes, I do have the blue coral model...

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
No airport agent is going to start looking at every single cell phone and try to determine what is what. Smh.

What if I just got my new replacement? How are they going to know? Lol.

Gizmodo doesn't know an apple from an orange. BGR either. They should just stick to their global warming doom and gloom talk vs tech blogging.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This is the FAA we are talking about, who could give a flying crap about making some single-digit % of the US mad because they banned their phones. If they determine that this is a significant enough hazard to the general flying public, they will ban them. And yes, since it will be impossible to tell a pre- from post-ban Note 7, they will all get banned.
The FAA is not oblivious to economic consequences that total billions of dollars. And if they banned Note 7 carry-ons, passengers would put them in checked luggage instead, where they'd be undetectable and even more dangerous. A Note 7 exploding in someone's hand or pocket would at most injure the person sitting next to them (same as on a bus or subway car). A Note 7 exploding in the baggage compartment could start a fire that spreads significantly before being detected.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No, they probably won't be able to tell the difference... heck when I best buy looking at Note 7s, I had to keep looking at tags to see if I was looking at the N7 or a N5 or a 7E lol.

What they'll do is see the Samsung logo on the phone or look for the telltale camera in the center and ask you to get out of line and into another to do a close look... while the iphone owner behind you gets to pass through the check-in faster :confused:

I can see the safety issue... if you're not concerned about US N7s think about people in airports from abroad and that their N7 were from abroad! :confused: Then he/she sits next to you and decides to plug in their N7 in the USB port under the headrest TV in front of you!! Nooooo!! :eek:

No airport agent is going to start looking at every single cell phone and try to determine what is what. Smh.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Out of curiosity do all notes sat Note 7 on the back? I know on some carriers it does. Just not sure about everyone.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd be surprised if the airport security agents had enough time or the knowledge to inspect every smartphone that is brought onto a plane. Also, not every phone is the same color, has a logo showing, or hasn't been customized in some unrecognizable way.

Oh they have nothing but time in airport security lol

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The FAA is not oblivious to economic consequences that total billions of dollars. And if they banned Note 7 carry-ons, passengers would put them in checked luggage instead, where they'd be undetectable and even more dangerous.

You are using logic my friend, which is a big mistake in dealing with the Feds. We have to deal with the Federal government (including the FAA on a current project, believe it or not) where I work on a daily basis, and you would not believe the stupid crap we have to deal with because of their rules and regulations. These rules stack up over the years and accumulate as more people try to game the system with the feds, so another rule has to be put in place. Eventually they get compiled into "guidance documents" and "notices" and "circulars" (great name) which can easily run into the hundreds of pages.

I guarantee you they will give not one whit about your or mine $900 phone and us having to leave it behind. I also guarantee you they won't care about the likelihood of people stowing their phones in checked luggage. They will be able to say they banned the phone, so if someone smuggles one in checked luggage and it explodes, their butts are covered. Even if stowing your phones in checked luggage is an option, I take business flights that are short in duration and often just have a carry-on. So I guess I'm supposed to start checking my carry-on if the phones get banned?? B-S. It appears they are only being scanned for explosives, but again, I won't take the chance even if it is teeny: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d168c6-69da-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but this is possibly the silliest thread I've ever read on this website. Talk about taking a situation and absolutely running with it. This is like Usain Bolt running. They are not going to ban an entire line of devices. They just aren't going to do it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So why not make people power the device down then and put them in carry on? If caught using on a flight then they can be fined. How are they going to go boom if they're not on? If that's the case then when they ship a bundle of 1000 of these on a plan to Lexington, KY what about the risk there then? A lot higher.