Tmobile Note 7 from Craigslist.. Am I stuck with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm sort of in the same boat and also called Samsung last week and gave them my information. I emailed the CPSC on Monday explaining my situation and here is the response I received:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. We are currently working with Samsung to formally announce a recall on these devices and we issued a statement on Friday, September 9, 2016 (link below). Once we announce the recall we will have information on the procedure to participate in the recall and the remedy being offered to consumers.

Press Statement from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Regarding the Samsung Galaxy Note7 | CPSC.gov

Best regards,
Jennifer

They still didn't answer your question. The recall site doesn't answer the question. I'm going to T-Mobile and expect them to give me a new one period.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There is a video on YouTube which shows a guy opening up a Note 7, removing the battery, and poking holes in it with a pair of tweezers in order to make it catch fire. If you can get your hands on a safe battery you can undoubtedly have it replaced at a repair facility (or, if you're really brave, swap it out yourself).

eaglehdz_21

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
you think samsung will at the very least exchange out the battery on those devices that were purchased through third party and have no proof of purchase? i know in the past ive been able to get devices repaired through there 1 year warranty that i purchased off swappa ebay craiglist, etc

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Same here. I just called CPSC and they are going to "investigate" a solution. I'll keep you informed as to what happens.

T-Mobile will not switch out the phone, period. They need a receipt. I've spent 2 hours on the phone today between Samsung and T-Mobile. Samsung took my information AGAIN and said to check back within 24 hours. It's absolutely ridiculous and the situation has me ready to go back to Apple and AT&T. Imagine if Toyota had a recall and required you to jump through hoops like this to get it done.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
First off, I didn't post to hear a lecture about buying on Craigslist, so save it!

I bought this brand new (trade + cash deal) and found out about the recall the next day. The seller won't help me.

I called tmobile and they won't swap since they have no record of my purchase.

I called Samsung and seriously, the most rude, smug b*tch who ever existed said they will only help if bought from Samsung direct.

So are my only choices:
-keep phone and risk it
-throw in trash (better than ending up like guy with torched Jeep)

????

And no, re-sellling on ebay or swappa.com is not an option cuz buyer will just file paypal claim.

And I refuse to resell in craigslist cuz I'm too honest to do someone bad like that ..

I would suggest not to buy from Craigslist. Only reputable dealers

Droidsonroids

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site

Don't listen to humanoids, full of hate and deceit. Recall is a recall and how about we take these guys here to court who suggests there is nothing you can do?

I have contacted samsung directly at 1800samsung and i told them that people online said there is nothing you can do because you bought it on craigslist and samsung laughed and said those people are not informed and do not listen to them. Simply take your phone to your carrier store on september 21 and if they refuse you, call 1800 samsung while you are in the store and they will take corrective measures to make sure you get your phone exchanged right away.

It is a win win my fri3nd because now you get a brand new note 7 with a corrected battery. Samsung is happy and customer is happy. Economy is happy. The rest have no relevance

mdanish4

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't listen to humanoids, full of hate and deceit. Recall is a recall and how about we take these guys here to court who suggests there is nothing you can do?

I have contacted samsung directly at 1800samsung and i told them that people online said there is nothing you can do because you bought it on craigslist and samsung laughed and said those people are not informed and do not listen to them. Simply take your phone to your carrier store on september 21 and if they refuse you, call 1800 samsung while you are in the store and they will take corrective measures to make sure you get your phone exchanged right away.

It is a win win my fri3nd because now you get a brand new note 7 with a corrected battery. Samsung is happy and customer is happy. Economy is happy. The rest have no relevance

I highly doubt that.. I just spoke to a friend who is a Manager in one of the tmobile stores.. he told me that there is no way a store can exchange a device without receipt, he even said that store can't even exchange if you bought note 7 from tmobiles customer service.. I don't know what to do.. I haven't contacted samsung yet..

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
If you have insurance can't you file a insurance claim. I know you will have to pay a deductible, but that's better then be out money and a phone.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Plug the IMEI of your phone in here : Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program

If the response you get is "Attention:Your Galaxy Note7 is an affected device and is subject to this recall. It is extremely important to stop using your device, power it down immediately and contact your carrier or retail outlet to exchange it." Then it is subject to the recall.

If T-Mobile does not have the mechanism in place to provide a replacement, Samsung will have to. TMob may be limited to try and only provide replacements to active customers (if the phone is already active with them, then they shouldn't care who purchased it, just who is using it) (Same as if it had been given as a gift instead). But Samsung is providing the carriers with replacement phones, and situations of third part purchases are not unusual for them to deal with.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has offered me a new device and I purchased it craigslist! Just hound Samsung on every level. Call the CPSC as well
or call 512-681-5896 its the Samsungs office in Texas

I've spent days on the phone with Samsung and T-Mobile. They all kept telling me I needed to be the original owner. T-Mobile even tried to tell me if have to pay because they would treat my exchange device as a trade in. I finally lost my sh*t with Samsung on the phone today. They are "supposedly" contacting my local T-Mobile store to initiate the exchange. Samsung said that T-Mobile has to accept the device back "no questions asked" or they are not in compliance with the recall. We shall see.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I've spent days on the phone with Samsung and T-Mobile. They all kept telling me I needed to be the original owner. T-Mobile even tried to tell me if have to pay because they would treat my exchange device as a trade in. I finally lost my sh*t with Samsung on the phone today. They are "supposedly" contacting my local T-Mobile store to initiate the exchange. Samsung said that T-Mobile has to accept the device back "no questions asked" or they are not in compliance with the recall. We shall see.

Agreed. They cannot deny you. Your mistake was ever mentioning CL. Don't give them a reason to dither.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I highly doubt that.. I just spoke to a friend who is a Manager in one of the tmobile stores.. he told me that there is no way a store can exchange a device without receipt, he even said that store can't even exchange if you bought note 7 from tmobiles customer service.. I don't know what to do.. I haven't contacted samsung yet..

Your friend is mistaken. Call the retention department immediately. They will make it happen for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.