Video Chat

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Get tour your iPhone friends to get google... done! I vid chat with my parents all the time... I'm vzw droid, and they are att iphoners...

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Another one is facebook messenger is another good one.. I don't video chat a lot but the times I've used it the quality has been really good.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts is probably the easiest since I think it's still pre-installed on Android devices.

Duo seems really nice, but is not yet pre-installed so there is that barrier.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts and FB Messenger are the best...

They both have good reception (at least when I use them) and they both allow you to use them on multiple devices (phone, computer, tablet) plus most android phones will already have both and most people in general will already have fb messenger especially young people

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts and FB Messenger are the best...

They both have good reception (at least when I use them) and they both allow you to use them on multiple devices (phone, computer, tablet) plus most android phones will already have both and most people in general will already have fb messenger especially young people

Dumb question but how can Hangouts and Facebook Messenger have good reception?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Google Duo is simple and works great. He only issue would be making sure that the folks you are chatting with also have the app installed.

I just downloaded the app. Thanks for the tip. I use Verizon HD calling when I can, but it does not work with iPhones, as we all know, and I have nieces and nephews that use old devices without phone numbers, so this is perfect for them. Oh wait ... I think this app does need a phone number? Well, there goes that theory.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question but how can Hangouts and Facebook Messenger have good reception?

lol...I was gonna reword it but I was hoping ppl either got it or looked over that statement... basically what I was saying is from my experience with all of them duo tends to say weak connection and lose video more than the other 2 options

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded the app. Thanks for the tip. I use Verizon HD calling when I can, but it does not work with iPhones, as we all know, and I have nieces and nephews that use old devices without phone numbers, so this is perfect for them. Oh wait ... I think this app does need a phone number? Well, there goes that theory.

If you can't use a phone #, then Skype or Hangouts is your best best I think ...

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

BBM uses either/or, phone number or email. it does text, voice and video, over cellular network and wifi. I am not sure of what older devices can support it though.

Omlu Omlu

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm converting from iPhone to Samsung Note 7 once the recall is lifted. One thing I will miss is FaceTime, how do you all video chat on Android? OooVooo, Skype, Tango or Google Hangouts?

Google Duo will hands down be the quickest and easiest video chatting app you can get that's closest to FaceTime. It's optimized better and runs much faster than Hangouts and Skype. I'm never going back to Skype or Hangouts again.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Google Duo will hands down be the quickest and easiest video chatting app you can get that's closest to FaceTime. It's optimized better and runs much faster than Hangouts and Skype. I'm never going back to Skype or Hangouts again.

Does the duo connect to iphone users through there facetime?
So reread all posts on this subject, I'm guessing iphones have to install duo?
Most of my family are iphone users. They don't know what there missing out on. 😉

Last edited:

suitebliss

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Most of my family are iphone users. They don't know what there missing out on.

Oh Boy, that's what I've been telling other iPhone users. Apple is that deal with the exception of the mobile area, they just don't get it!

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'm the only one in my family with an android now. I had my mom download duo and it's very easy for her to use. And the quality has been good so far. I also like the preview option before you answer the call.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for Duo. I'd previously used the video calling or google hangouts video calling and both were ok, but the pic was so-so. Duo is far superior with picture quality, lag and ease of use.

Omlu Omlu

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
So reread all posts on this subject, I'm guessing iphones have to install duo?
Most of my family are iphone users. They don't know what there missing out on. 😉

Yes, you'll have to download Google Duo on the iPhone. It won't work with facetime ;)