Only 18% are going back to the Note7

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Heck Samsung has lost so much money on this phone they had to sell 4 companies to stop the bleeding. I'm sure they'll be looking to move on asap.

This. Come on everyone, there needs to be a reality check here. Samsung has sold shares in 4 non core companies to help cover the cost of the recall. That truly says it all. There is no getting back from the Note 7. It will be an enormous financial loss and short term tarnish of reputation. You are just kidding yourself if you think this will blow over.

Samsung will get over this and move on to I'm sure great success with the S8 and Note 8. But the Note 7 is dead in the water.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
This. Come on everyone, there needs to be a reality check here. Samsung has sold shares in 4 non core companies to help cover the cost of the recall. That truly says it all. There is no getting back from the Note 7. It will be an enormous financial loss and short term tarnish of reputation. You are just kidding yourself if you think this will blow over.

Samsung will get over this and move on to I'm sure great success with the S8 and Note 8. But the Note 7 is dead in the water.

Take the amount of people who are on these forums. These people are in the know. Now take in consideration that even carrier employees don't even know what's going on. So how is the rest of the world. Also sprint is already selling new units. 1 guy said 2 people purchased the note 7 while he was waiting in line for his replacement. That's just 1 store. A lot of people don't watch the news or read new articles unless they are on FB, then with America's short term memory loss, by next week they will have forgot which phone was recalled since it didn't directly affect them.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Read what I wrote. I said it was not valid due to how they sampled, the sample size was fine if it was random. You and others attacked it for sample size, which would be fine if the sample hadn't been a self selected online survey.

I am glad we agree the the survey is invalid :)

And you said the reason was "it wasn't random", not that they never actually verified that anyone who answered had the phone to begin with :)

Honestly, I think a lot of people will leave. I just don't think this survey does anyone any help ..

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I am glad we agree the the survey is invalid :)

And you said the reason was "it wasn't random", not that they never actually verified that anyone who answered had the phone to begin with :)

Honestly, I think a lot of people will leave. I just don't think this survey does anyone any help ..

This doesn't need to become a discussion on statistical methods, just when I see people attacking a sample because it 'only' has 500 people, it irritates me because that is a valid sample, it they sampled right.

Attack it for what it isn't, a valid sampling of all note 7 users.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't need to become a discussion on statistical methods, just when I see people attacking a sample because it 'only' has 500 people, it irritates me because that is a valid sample, it they sampled right.

Attack it for what it isn't, a valid sampling of all note 7 users.

Amen.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the survey should have been which carrier is making the recall the biggest pain in the ***, and we all know Verizon will gladly accept that trophy again.

Agreed. I learned a lot from reading how the various carriers have treated their customers during this recall, and VZW is in first place on the PITA list.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Take the amount of people who are on these forums. These people are in the know. Now take in consideration that even carrier employees don't even know what's going on. So how is the rest of the world. Also sprint is already selling new units. 1 guy said 2 people purchased the note 7 while he was waiting in line for his replacement. That's just 1 store. A lot of people don't watch the news or read new articles unless they are on FB, then with America's short term memory loss, by next week they will have forgot which phone was recalled since it didn't directly affect them.

Let's say for a moment you are right and that the Note 7 fiasco is soon forgotten and it sells well. No matter how well it sells and no matter how soon this fiasco is forgotten, Samsung cannot financially recover the billion dollars plus of the recall.

Hence the Note 7 will always be a huge liability.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems low and almost anyone going to an iPhone probably had an iPhone before the Note 7.

If it were so high, why are most Note 7's still apparently being used? Data traffic analysis showed minimal change from before and after the recall. This survey seems to have autotune level credibility.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
And to all you reviewers out there...stop with the premium feel garbage, please and thank you. Plastic and metal are wonderful materials to use for phones. They can still do curved front glass using plas...I'm sorry polycarbonate. :)

My opinion is the Note 7 most definitely has a premium feel; the best I have ever owned.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
USAToday poll?
Please...

That aside, I have considered flipping the N7 when the time comes for another phone. Here's my assessment:

- Pixel/Pixel XL: I am a big fan of Nexus phones - I've owned them, and love them. But, the reports of the new Pixels really fall short of the N7 on so many fronts. Will they get updates faster? Sure. But, for me, the Pixel feature set is lacking, as is the overall design.

- LG V20: awesome phone. For me, additional size without offering additional (functional) display space doesn't work. Love the replaceable battery and the 4 DACS, but the N7 audio is already off-the-hook, not sure what the multi-DAC approach is actually going to provide. IPS display pales next to the N7's OLED, IMO.

- iPhone: I can't live within the Apple ecosystem. It's a personal choice I made decades ago after being one of most bigoted Apple fanboys on the planet. I recovered. So this choice a non-starter. On the hardware side, the iPhone7 is an incremental improvement over the 6, and for me, Apple is just behind the curve. Again, that's for me, certainly may not apply to anyone else.

I know, lot's of "for me's" in there, but I can only speak for myself and I fully respect those that love these other phones.

As of today, I just don't see a phone that's on the market, or soon to be, that actually comes close to meeting my needs as well as the N7. I also feel confident that the new N7's will be perfectly safe.

So, I guess I'll be in USAToday's survey minority group when I exchange my N7 for another - happy to be in that group. It's a great phone.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So of those that said they were getting an iPhone, other phone or cash were doing so until the replacement was available.
Some have stated that they were getting replacements till the new version came out.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Let's say for a moment you are right and that the Note 7 fiasco is soon forgotten and it sells well. No matter how well it sells and no matter how soon this fiasco is forgotten, Samsung cannot financially recover the billion dollars plus of the recall.

True but it's not like they can just take it back. But believe. Companies recover from hits like this. And samsung can afford to trust me. We aren't talking about a start up company missing on its first product. These guys sell literally everything on the market electronic wise.

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I didn't move to an iPhone because I already have one through work (6S+). I work with all technologies in my daily job and personally, so staying in the Note/Android world was important to me. Just not happy at all with the Note7, so I purchased a new Note4 until I see what happens with the future of the Note line. Hoping the next Note will not be so rushed to the marketplace, and I would love to see one without the damned edges and a removable battery (maybe that's a pipe dream at this point).

Very pleased with the Note4 so far outside of the typical battery life issues. One thing to say about the iPhones is the battery life is superior, but I do love the flexibility and customization of Android. Had a Note3 years ago and missed using the SPen.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

It won't 'always' be a huge liability. It will be a liability for Q3 on the balance sheet and that's it, assuming they decide to write it down for Q3. Some of the costs will probably spread into Q4 as well.

Samsung had a $6 billion profit in Q2. Will a billion hurt? Sure. But it's far from crippling.

If Target can write off a $5 billion loss for closing Canada operations on top of Canada operations losing $2 billion over 2 years, then Samsung can easily move on from this $1 billion write down.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And to top it all off the media hysteria driven same recycled fires are apparently being discredited. Apple says, Thank You media for pushing Samsung over the edge! Took a legit problem and amped' it to "11".

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I posted a topic suggesting that samsung offer a 50 discount (to be used in their name only when buying a new note 8 or 9 valid for 2 or three years) to anyone that pre-ordered the phone and took delivery. Sure I know they wouldnt make money short term but better than loosing all their hard core fans. Maybe a million of them for good.
I pre-ordered in Thailand mid August and Samsung still cannot give a date depends who you speak to some say next month others say November or December. Who is going to wait till December Samsung has done a terrible job in Asia that represent about 50 percent of there sales.

I'm not sure if Samsung's hardcore fans would need a 50% discount off a future phone to remain loyal. It would be totally nice, but not necessary.
To be fair, I am *not* a hardcore Samsung fan.. what I am is a huge fan of the Note series/sPen functionality. It might sound awful to say, but were there any other manufacturers that made phones similar to the Note 7 in terms of functionality/features, I'd be looking into them in a mere heartbeat.

More on point - the consumers that have stuck around for the last three weeks are Note users like myself or those that acknowledge the Note 7 (may be) is still the best phone out there currently. Realistically, for me, there simply isn't another phone like the Note available presently, and so I've found myself dutifully waiting for the Note 7s to be available again.
If I had any sense, I'd just continue to use my Note5 for another year as it's a perfectly legit phone. Actually, if I had any sense, I'd force myself to quit the Note series altogether and look for a mid-range cost phone. Alas..my good sense seems to have fallen by the wayside awhile ago now =)

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Ouch.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users opt for iPhones, cash: survey

Take that poll with a grain of salt. I would take it with a case of Morton's Salt to be honest.

The media have had their jollies posting false articles of kids getting blown up by this device. The media have long given up any semblance of journalism, fear, death & destruction is their game.

The carriers know the numbers. Samsung will know the numbers. If one of the carriers or Samsung release info on how many have walked away from the Note 7 instead of doing the replacement, then we will have hard data.

And if the number of 18% is even close to real. Then,,,,,,,,

We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers, for he today that holds the Note 7 up, shall be my brother.

I'm sticking with the Note 7, what others decide to do.....so be it.

Skybrok

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
That's what I did. Moved on to iPhone, I just hang around here to keep up with whats going on.
SS should just kill the N7 or I guess at this point they've already lost a ton of money so they might as well get what they can out of it.

One thing is for sure the next note should be rock solid although scaled back spec wise. I do hope they go with a non glass back.
And to all you reviewers out there...stop with the premium feel garbage, please and thank you. Plastic and metal are wonderful materials to use for phones. They can still do curved front glass using plas...I'm sorry polycarbonate. :)

I agree with getting rid of the glass on back-what a needless worry. Much rather have a lighter good quality plastic on there. I would never worry if I dropped it-wouldn't think twice about.

edhawk

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Uh.. this is a USA today survey monkey poll...no way to validate of the shipping 507 users that took it (which by the way...is a sample so tiny NO one would claim and kind of statistical viability), were even Note 7 owners....

507 is plenty big enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I highly disagree with that poll. Media loves to takes sides and they do with apple. IPhone 7 plus is terrible in mt opinion, all new phones must have faster speed better camera and so on so that's nothing extraordinary they did. The design is still the same boring, the ios is boring nothing much new there, lack of customization and above all the home button is not a button it's a tap screen type thing. So uncomfortable. If survey was right I doubt only 100k would return the note 7 out of a million...
Samsung has the money to deal with the hit.. as is the iPhone 7 plus that ppl may want are backordered till Nov so not sure where the sales data came from.
Not for nothing, the iPhone 7 makes a hissing sound when being used a lot...there is no fan in there so go figure. I don't see media jumping on it. Again these are own thoughts lol.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87