U.S. carriers backing off Note 7

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Sad. I was hoping to jump back to a Note 7 if they had deals towards Christmas or start selling refurbs for cheap! I guess I'm stuck using the S7 Edge as that's the next closest thing to the Note.

I hope the V20 goes down in price in a couple months like many LG's do, but with the Note issue now they might not lower the price of the phone since less competition. Oh well will wait for the S8 Edge then. If the LG V20 was 700 or under I'd think about it but 800 something with no AMOLED screen is way too much IMO even though the rest of the phone is solid.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sad. I was hoping to jump back to a Note 7 if they had deals towards Christmas or start selling refurbs for cheap! I guess I'm stuck using the S7 Edge as that's the next closest thing to the Note.

I hope the V20 goes down in price in a couple months like many LG's do, but with the Note issue now they might not lower the price of the phone since less competition. Oh well will wait for the S8 Edge then. If the LG V20 was 700 or under I'd think about it but 800 something with no AMOLED screen is way too much IMO even though the rest of the phone is solid.

If there is another forced recall, I will probably go with the S7edge until the Note 8. I am hoping this is not the case.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
At this point it's the same amount of a safety issue as any phone. Lithium ion batteries can explode and pretty much every phone has issues with it because every phone uses them.

So why the first recall? There's a defect at play here well beyond "pretty much every phone has issues with it". When the manufacturer has announced that a defect in a device that's with you virtually 24/7 could result in death, it's a pretty serious defect. I'm flying Southwest this afternoon, and I worry that the airline will not accept that my new N7 is safe. And I can't blame the airline.

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Come on guys let's not rule the note 7 out yet let's get the confirmation from the investigation first.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So why the first recall? There's a defect at play here well beyond "pretty much every phone has issues with it". When the manufacturer has announced that a defect in a device that's with you virtually 24/7 could result in death, it's a pretty serious defect. I'm flying Southwest this afternoon, and I worry that the airline will not accept that my new N7 is safe. And I can't blame the airline.
That's my point. After the recall, there should be no more defects. So until there's proof that there is one, you saying there's a safety issue at play is just spouting nonsense. You can't just assume that there is one. The CPSC approved the new ones so presumably, it's just like any other phone right now.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Come on guys let's not rule the note 7 out yet let's get the confirmation from the investigation first.
9dc084f3caf9aed059b599524928c620.gif

Samsmome

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Any thoughts on AT&T accepting these phones back. Will they also take the 2 tablets and 2 Gear s2? If I don't have the Note 7, I won't be needing these either. Which was a promotion with purchasing a Galaxy device. If I am forced to trade it in I'm going with V20, unfortunately that doesn't come out until the 28th. So what to do in the meantime as we switched from Verizon to AT&T??? Don't have any other AT&T phones to use in the interim.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If there is another forced recall, I will probably go with the S7edge until the Note 8. I am hoping this is not the case.

You won't buy the S8 Edge? That is what I worry about lol. I spend way too much on phones and computers. I'll get the S8 Edge and then in Sept or so when the Note 8 is out I'll want that and end up spending more money again.

One thing for certain is I WON'T order anymore. I returned my Note 7 and purchased the Edge and I still have not got the refund yet and Tforce tells me up to 8 weeks from when the warehouse takes my phone, yet they refunded the tax a week ago, but can't refund the rest yet? Then the 611 tells me by Oct 11th I should get the rest. I basically own two phones right now even though I only have one. I'll drive 40 miles to buy in person if I have to or get an unlocked one when best buy starts selling it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You won't buy the S8 Edge? That is what I worry about lol. I spend way too much on phones and computers. I'll get the S8 Edge and then in Sept or so when the Note 8 is out I'll want that and end up spending more money again.

One thing for certain is I WON'T order anymore. I returned my Note 7 and purchased the Edge and I still have not got the refund yet and Tforce tells me up to 8 weeks from when the warehouse takes my phone, yet they refunded the tax a week ago, but can't refund the rest yet? Then the 611 tells me by Oct 11th I should get the rest. I basically own two phones right now even though I only have one. I'll drive 40 miles to buy in person if I have to or get an unlocked one when best buy starts selling it.

Since I would be waiting for the Note 8, I would go with the less expensive S7 than S8 since the S7 is still in the annual upgrade program.

Paravoz

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
What is strange is that I still the original note 7 and after the update I only get a warning when I plug in to charge it but there is no limit and it charges to 100%

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth - I went to a corporate store today to return my two Note 7's....the store manage had no clue about the refund/return "policy" Verizon started yesterday. He said he checked the "system" and found nothing. I called CS while in the store and the lady said a refund/return was in fact doable. In addition, she said all Note 7's are on "hold" and none are to be sold.

You know what that means.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Authorized At&t rep just advised me that they are authorized to accept Note 7 returns even outside of the 14 day buyer's remorse period.

A store rep from an authorized dealer advised me they are allowing people outside of BRE to return/exchange Note 7s, even if they are one of the replacements.

Last edited:

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Authorized At&t rep just advised me that they are authorized to accept Note 7 returns even outside of the 14 day buyer's remorse period.

What options did you choose when you called in? I think I'm done and just want to return mine. Two stores I stopped at yesterday had no idea about this new exchange policy.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes it's sad, but not so unexpected. Someone posted that it ain't over till the fat lady sings... well she's singing loud and clear in the tune of all carriers dropping the phone!

You never know, Samsung may decide to disable the phone completely via update... just like they disabled fully charging the orig N7... and airlines may ban it totally from flying. As much as you love the phone, you might consider dropping back down to your Note 4 and recouping your money while you can. Resale on the N7 will become zilch in a short time, not to mention... will you ever trust it not to catch fire?

Have you ever heard the legend about not renaming your boat? I wonder if it applies to flag"ships"! :cool:

Whooooa....Samsung can disable MY PHONE completely even though I choose to keep it??

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
What options did you choose when you called in? I think I'm done and just want to return mine. Two stores I stopped at yesterday had no idea about this new exchange policy.

I know I'm not AT&T, but Verizon wise, they started throwing every phone in the store at me. It was like Android dodgeball. It was either return it or exchange it, and as I need a phone for work and my side gig I walked out with one. Resting "you know what" face comes in handy, and so does the phrase "Southwest Airlines" and proffering your phone with said news article.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Whooooa....Samsung can disable MY PHONE completely even though I choose to keep it??
I'm just guessing they can if they really wanted to stop people from using the phone. I'm sure if they plan to do it, they'll announce it just like they did for the battery charge limit update.

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the Rep I talked to in the store yesterday kind of rolled her eyes and said "did you hear about this on some blog?". I said just about every major tech site was reporting it but had no effect.