Why not make the next Note with removeable battery, IP 67?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This is what I don't understand. I know some are saying it can't be water resistant with removable battery, BUT the S5 was given an IP67 rating and that had water resistance. Yea I know a few issues reported with that, but there has been issues with the S7 series as well not being that water resistant also.

So why not bring the removeable battery back and avoid a disaster like this again? Besides it's supposed to be for power users, so a removable battery is appealing to many.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Because Samsung has proven they can make decent non removable batteries.

Everyone's acting as if the s6 and s7 lines didn't exist.

Even if these batteries were removable, the Note 7 would still have it's bad reputation, recall or not.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: Don't own a Note7 - Neither I will, but the removable
batteries-Return is in demand. It seems the Phone

brands sealed the battery in latest models to make
them water resistant. But the fact that No air

circulate on battery compartment..could
be an exploding factor..Yes/No-Androids.?

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
This is what I don't understand. I know some are saying it can't be water resistant with removable battery, BUT the S5 was given an IP67 rating and that had water resistance. Yea I know a few issues reported with that, but there has been issues with the S7 series as well not being that water resistant also.

So why not bring the removeable battery back and avoid a disaster like this again? Besides it's supposed to be for power users, so a removable battery is appealing to many.
Because to really be at the top, a premium design and appearance is equally as important. That's simply hard to achieve with a removable battery design.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Are phone's splinting up their batteries into multiple batteries like computers are? On the Mac Retina this them package more into into a smaller space.

allen476

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Other industries use removable batteries with a water resistant design. The problem is that removable batteries add thickness. They also negate some of the time that Samsung figures for planned obsolescence.

Samsung could easily engineer it to be removable and still be a premium device. It might be .1 to .125 inch thicker and still meet IP67 rating.

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't think samung will go back to removeable batteries. that in itself could cause issues when folks opt to put in sketchy 3rd party/unknown cheap batteries. Samsung and others prefer the "disposable device" era where everyone just upgrades devices 1-2years so battery longevity is no longer a factor. plus everyone was complaining about the "cheap plastic backs" since forever. so they in turn went "premium", and glass/sealed battery is the result. I was happy with my plastic note3 and note edge since I put a case on them anyway. but I'm back to the note 5 after returning two note7s. would be awesome if Samsung went back to removable batts again.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Because to really be at the top, a premium design and appearance is equally as important. That's simply hard to achieve with a removable battery design.

I like most slap a case on our phones. I don't care for a glass back because a case is covering it up anyways. I'd rather the back be like the Note 4 where I can remove it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. IP67 is an advertising gimmick. I've used my Note 3 in a rain so heavy I thought I was being waterboarded - but the phone (in a non-waterproof case) didn't flinch. An IP67-rated phone can be in water, but putting it in water can increase the pressure enough for it to leak. (And despite the 5 foot column videos when it first came out, it's not rated to 5 feet of any water - or salt water.)

2. The Note 3 is pretty watertight - in a proper case (I use an Otterbox) - and the battery is removable, so they can make a phone like that - they can even make one with a removable battery that's completely waterproof (the military does). But it's going to cost. (I really don't see $1,000 for a non-waterproof phone - they could make as much profit for a waterproof phone if they shortened the supply chain.)

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

This is the reason.

Samsung has removable batteries on the other phones not Galaxy/Note series. They've made the decision for the aesthetics and they are not going to go backwards for their flagships. They already had success with the batteries with the Note 5 and GS6/e/7/e so it's not like they are incapable.

People want that premium feel. Sucks for those who don't care, but it is what it is. At least we got the microSD slot back.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

And yet the LG V20 is what a Lot of people are flipping out about and wanting to get as it is being labeled as a Flagship device.

Note4Ever

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
LOL next year you'll be asking for the headphone jack back too I bet !

Samsung didn't get to where they are today by not exactly copying everything that apple does .

Don't you know all users who don't want an iPhone want a phone that's exactly like an iPhone ?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh please. If Samsung goes back to removable batteries, it will give them an excuse to make the battery smaller. 2800 MAH on my S8? No thanks.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they'll go back to one.

A surprise if true, but I don't think it's a must-have feature in the minds of most regular consumers.

At least before this debacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38