Systematically Turning off Service (Verizon)

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon rep I spoke to also stated that she had already received calls from people whose service was shut off and I don't see any reason why she would lie to me like that.

I guess only time will tell for now. I'm enjoying the cancelled monthly plan until I decide on a new phone. I read some other thread where some guy got a new Note 5 for complaining. Time to start calling Verizon...
My question is if they are shutting off service, why are they doing it systematically instead of just completely shutting off all note users? I'm just not understanding the logic.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
My question is if they are shutting off service, why are they doing it systematically instead of just completely shutting off all note users? I'm just not understanding the logic.

Because they are not systematically shutting them off. The Verizon reps are misinformed all the time (remember all of the wrong answers we all received during the first re-call). Phones fail and shutoff all the time, folks accounts get screwed up, bills do not get paid for various reasons and now all of that gets blamed on the recalled phone.

When / if they do shut the phone off (by imei or whatever) will be announced and then will roll out all at once.

Still using my Note 7 on verizon with zero issues.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To date I've still heard zero official anything about anyone disconnecting service on Verizon for Note 7 owners.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The message I get from Verizon says it is a voluntary recall. I haven't seen anything saying it is mandatory.

That's correct. From the consumer side is is voluntary, as in you have no legal obligation to turn it in, so long as you have paid it in full or continue to honor the payment agreement. From the carrier and manufacturer side, it is mandatory, in that they are obligated to accept the return and give you back 100% of your money paid towards the device in return. Now, there is a little bit of nuance, because Samsung and your carrier are both licensing the use of their software and network, respectively, and can cancel access to any or all of it at any time within the terms of your service agreement. It's well within their rights to say that no Note 7 can access any of Samsung's software services and/or no Note 7 may access any connectivity services of Verizon Wireless other than 911/other emergency contact tools... but as of today, there's no hint that either company is plotting either thing.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I will gladly give them their money for the device. I see no reason to not as long as they continue to leave it on PHE as they have done on mine. You are absolutely correct on services being cut if you have not paid for it. They can, but at the same time I doubt Verizon will cut service. They really don't want to loose customers. More than likely they will prove smart and add an access fee if you are using an N7 that you were refunded for.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I will gladly give them their money for the device. I see no reason to not as long as they continue to leave it on PHE as they have done on mine. You are absolutely correct on services being cut if you have not paid for it. They can, but at the same time I doubt Verizon will cut service. They really don't want to loose customers. More than likely they will prove smart and add an access fee if you are using an N7 that you were refunded for.
I'm pretty sure I'm still paying for mine... I've had so many adjustments on my bill lately it's actually a little bit hard to tell. But the phone number and the fee on the device show up so far. Which is fine like you said. I don't think anybody's refusing to pay for anything. Bill me as per our agreement and I will continue to pay as per our agreement. Where it gets a little bit gray to me is when they start disabling my phone and still want me to pay full price. But package disabler has prevented that problem for me personally. So bill on, Verizon! I will continue to pay.