I now believe GN7 can catch on fire!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry that happened to you, OP! That restart-and-overheating thing at the movie theatre sounded scary! Hopefully you get your replacement soon and everything works out for you! Keep us posted!

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I thought I'd finally get to hear someone (other than media) give me reason to believe this was actually happening. I guess not. Opinion still stands. Note 7 should not have been recalled.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd finally get to hear someone (other than media) give me reason to believe this was actually happening. I guess not. Opinion still stands. Note 7 should not have been recalled.
In defense of the OP... I'm going to split the difference here and say that I believe the first batch should have been recalled. I had two of them out of the first batch because I returned one due to a screen defect.

I am on my 3rd Note 7. I'm keeping it till they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

< insert all comments about my stupidity here...>

before the first recall, I was doing an Android update. With 165 apps, it chugs on the processor pretty hard for quite some time. In addition, I had it on a wireless charger during all of this.

I happened to reach down and touch it, it was in a clear Speck case, and it was extremely hot. Being the day before the first recall, I just did what I thought was the logical thing to do...

I peeled off the case, and put it in the refrigerator until it was done with what it was doing.

I will say that it burned my fingers enough that I ran them under cold water for a while. Not enough until they blistered or anything , but they were definitely red and it hurt.

The phone should not get that hot.

The next day, the first recall happened. Shortly thereafter I replaced that one with my 3rd...

And it doesn't even get warm... I did the same Android updates, wireless charging at the same time because I was trying to replicate the problem... And everything was fine, is fine, and continues to be fine.

I'm afraid that some of the first batch got back out into the hands of the public, and I believe some people either faked it or used cheap Chargers and cables and perhaps contributed to the problem. Frankly I also suspect some corporate espionage...

But I have never had a phone burn my fingertips... And one of the phones out of that first batch did.

Just the opinion of a die-hard note 7 fan.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
In defense of the OP... I'm going to split the difference here and say that I believe the first batch should have been recalled. I had two of them out of the first batch because I returned one due to a screen defect.

I am on my 3rd Note 7. I'm keeping it till they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

before the first recall, I was doing an Android update. With 165 apps, it chugs on the processor pretty hard for quite some time. In addition, I had it on a wireless charger during all of this.

I happened to reach down and touch it, it was in a clear Speck case, and it was extremely hot. Being the day before the first recall, I just did what I thought was the logical thing to do...

I peeled off the case, and put it in the refrigerator until it was done with what it was doing.

I will say that it burned my fingers enough that I ran them under cold water for a while. Not enough until they blistered or anything , but they were definitely red and it hurt.

The next day, the first recall happened. Shortly thereafter I replaced that one with my 3rd...

And it doesn't even get warm... I did the same Android updates, wireless charging at the same time because I was trying to replicate the problem... And everything was fine, is fine, and continues to be fine.

I'm afraid that some of the first batch got back out into the hands of the public, and I believe some people either faked it or used cheap Chargers and cables and perhaps contributed to the problem. Frankly I also suspect some corporate espionage...

But I have never had a phone burn my fingertips... And one of the phones out of that first batch did.

You just said it though. What people don't realize is that when a phone gets hot, it's not the battery. It's the processor that's getting hot. That's why powerful laptops and computers have fans. Anytime I've really taxed a phone, it has gotten very hot. When I first set up my Note7 it got really hot from all the information transferring from my Note 4. This has always happened. It's just now this stupid media blitz and recall fiasco has people over analyzing something that's always been there.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
B4 the night when my GN7 got very HOT it never got even slightly warm. So, I disbelieved that it would ever get hot enough to catch on fire. If I did not have a case it would have been too hot to hold & perhaps burned my hand.
It should be obvious that there is a correlation with a phone getting very hot & catching fire. It seems probable. I still have it powered off 99% of the time as I continue to wait for the exchange. Since BBY refuses to credit me the $864 bc I am on prepaid, I finally got Samsung to agree to do it directly though their "Stericycle" rep. It is taking way to long. I expect to wait even longer to get my check for the difference in cost + the $100 promised to me by Samsung (not as a bill credit from Verizon).

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
B4 the night when my GN7 got very HOT it never got even slightly warm. So, I disbelieved that it would ever get hot enough to catch on fire. If I did not have a case it would have been too hot to hold & perhaps burned my hand.
It should be obvious that there is a correlation with a phone getting very hot & catching fire. It seems probable. I still have it powered off 99% of the time as I continue to wait for the exchange. Since BBY refuses to credit me the $864 bc I am on prepaid, I finally got Samsung to agree to do it directly though their "Stericycle" rep. It is taking way to long. I expect to wait even longer to get my check for the difference in cost + the $100 promised to me by Samsung (not as a bill credit from Verizon).
My Note 5 got so hot 2 updates ago. So hot that I had to drop it. The metal bezel got heated very nice. A good hand warmer lol

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You just said it though. What people don't realize is that when a phone gets hot, it's not the battery. It's the processor that's getting hot. That's why powerful laptops and computers have fans. Anytime I've really taxed a phone, it has gotten very hot. When I first set up my Note7 it got really hot from all the information transferring from my Note 4. This has always happened. It's just now this stupid media blitz and recall fiasco has people over analyzing something that's always been there.

Yes, but there was something different between the first and the second batch. And there was a software update between the first and the second batch, too. And I set them up, all 3, the same way - as new devices, had to do the android updates, etc. The difference is that somehow, the combination of the new battery and the new software did not get the phone hot enough to burn my fingers. I agree that the batteries failing and the phone getting ridiculously hot are 2 separate issues - but issues that probably work together to cause the failure...

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea people are to focused on heat being associated with it failing. It is true it is going to get hot when it melts down. But allot of other things can cause a phone e to run really hot. I ran the setiathome app on my note3 one point. Had it set to run 4 threads while charging. The damn thing got so hot you couldn't hold it. The battery had nothing going to do with it.

The real problem is folks thinking they are safe as long as the phone doesn't get warm. People need to understand that by the time the battery is in thermal run away and you feel it there is nothing you can do but put the phone down and get ready to put out the fire.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Batteries do get hot, so do processors

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Right there with you Julie - I hated turning in my "Replacement" Note 7 - that thing was THE BEST phone I have ever owned. The original got a bit warm on me a few times, not like your did but the replacement unit came through fantastic. I really think Samsung fixed the problem and like you, believe that the problems that were happening were caused by cheap cables, chargers or... "iAholes (corporate espionage as you put it)"... nah, they wouldn't do that, would they? Now I'm quietly droning along with a Galaxy S7 Active waiting to see what's coming next (couldn't stand the battery life of my Note 5 after having the Note 7s)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Right there with you Julie - I hated turning in my "Replacement" Note 7 - that thing was THE BEST phone I have ever owned. The original got a bit warm on me a few times, not like your did but the replacement unit came through fantastic. I really think Samsung fixed the problem and like you, believe that the problems that were happening were caused by cheap cables, chargers or... "iAholes (corporate espionage as you put it)"... nah, they wouldn't do that, would they? Now I'm quietly droning along with a Galaxy S7 Active waiting to see what's coming next (couldn't stand the battery life of my Note 5 after having the Note 7s)

...still ridin' mine to the bitter end... tryin' to hold out at least until I can get my hands on an S8...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've read a couple of stories but still haven't seen anything about an S-Pen yet ??? I can't believe they'd just drop that on us!

No... I just figure that they'll figure out a way to kill my Note 7 before the Note 8's come out... So, if I'm going to have to pay that kind of money, I'll do it on a new phone, not an 8 or 9 month-old one, hence the S8. Then, when the Note 8's come out, I'll sell the S8, or give to hubby and sell the Note 5. So yes, I truly believe there will be something with the S-pen, just don't know what they'll call it, and don't know when...

RAS2002

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Well got a notice saying they are going to bill me for the full retail. For a phone that cannot go on a plane or train that's too much. Was hoping to ride it out to a S8 but no such luck Guess i will miss the next refresh. Not happy about the way this was handled.
They should have found the problem and fixed it!
Going to Moto Z Force for now i guess. :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well got a notice saying they are going to bill me for the full retail. For a phone that cannot go on a plane or train that's too much. Was hoping to ride it out to a S8 but no such luck Guess i will miss the next refresh. Not happy about the way this was handled.
They should have found the problem and fixed it!
Going to Moto Z Force for now i guess. :(

The problem was a hardware issue -- They couldn't just fix it easily. Your carrier should have given you plenty of time to return so it shouldn't be that bad.

RAS2002

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
How would you know? They just gave up fixing it for us. Will be interesting to see what they say it was.
I wanted to stay a 'Note' owner and would have bought whatever was next. But a mere month or so before they come out (S8 with pen?) they come up with this to force return. They shouldn't charge me unless they are going to fix it. But after all the notices it probably isn't going to work out well.
So i guess my Note phones for now will come to an end. Like the external storage or i would do the Pixel for the camera.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How would you know? They just gave up fixing it for us. Will be interesting to see what they say it was.
I wanted to stay a 'Note' owner and would have bought whatever was next. But a mere month or so before they come out (S8 with pen?) they come up with this to force return. They shouldn't charge me unless they are going to fix it. But after all the notices it probably isn't going to work out well.
So i guess my Note phones for now will come to an end. Like the external storage or i would do the Pixel for the camera.
I would know since Samsung admitted the problem... It was a hardware issue. If it was a software issue you think they'd issue a massive recall instead of issuing a patch?..

They are charging you since you aren't returning the phone. A recall doesn't mean you get free stuff.. it means you get your money back if you return it and they'll honor the "no questions asked" and accept it. You chose to keep it so.. they charged you. That's completely normal.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would know since Samsung admitted the problem... It was a hardware issue. If it was a software issue you think they'd issue a massive recall instead of issuing a patch?..

They are charging you since you aren't returning the phone. A recall doesn't mean you get free stuff.. it means you get your money back if you return it and they'll honor the "no questions asked" and accept it. You chose to keep it so.. they charged you. That's completely normal.

Stop being logical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87