Samsung Galaxy s8 Normal, Edge, and Active

PhoneDude8

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
So who is ready for the s8? I am! I am planning on getting a s8 Edge or a s8 Active (if they will be available with Verizon, that would be my dream!). Anyone have any rumours about these devices?

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So who is ready for the s8? I am! I am planning on getting a s8 Edge or a s8 Active (if they will be available with Verizon, that would be my dream!). Anyone have any rumours about these devices?

Active is an Att exclusive, won't ever be on verizon. And not yet, it is still early.

PhoneDude8

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Active is an Att exclusive, won't ever be on verizon. And not yet, it is still early.

Actually, it is possible. Samsung currently has a contract with AT&T that says they get the Active phones, BUT when this contract expires, the Active is free to whoever Samsung wants it to be.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it is possible. Samsung currently has a contract with AT&T that says they get the Active phones, BUT when this contract expires, the Active is free to whoever Samsung wants it to be.

Yes "when" it expires, which could be any length of time. Don't expect it on verizon ever.

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd be surprised if they did normal, edge, and note next year.

I'm totally ready for a note 8 with 4k screen and both daydream and gear VR ready. I'll bet they leave the iris scanner as a note exclusive.

Posted via the Android Central App

Blu3V3nom07

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll be very interested to see how the S8 Edge turns out. Also, it'd be nice if they started doing tablets with edge screens, just to experiment and see what they can do with it.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I would always go for the Active Version. I love the bigger battery and the ruggedness of the phone. :)

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Really wish the S8 Edge would drop back to same screen size as the "Normal", but I'm sure that ship has set sail given the larger screen on the S7 Edge. Love my S6 Edge, but its about as big of a phone as I'm interested in carrying.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how reputable her sources were but I had a conversation with a Samsung rep about the s8 and she said that samsung is going more towards a foldable screen so the s8 will turn into a tablet and have an edge on the right side while in phone mode.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how reputable her sources were but I had a conversation with a Samsung rep about the s8 and she said that samsung is going more towards a foldable screen so the s8 will turn into a tablet and have an edge on the right side while in phone mode.

That would be pretty darn amazing if they could pull it off and keep it in the same price range. However, I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic change on a flagship device before Samsung was convinced the masses would buy it.

Here's what I expect from the 8 line (processor/ram/battery/camera upgrades apply to all)

S8 - 5.1 inch, 64 GB on-board, SD slot, metallic or plastic textured back, shatter-resistant glass
S8 Edge - 5.5 inch, 64 GB on-board, SD slot, metallic or plastic textured back, some type of strengthened or flexible display
S8 Active - 5.5 inch, 64 GB on-board, SD slot, sealed design, some type of strengthened or flexible display
Note 8 - 5.7 inch, 128 GB on-board, SD slot, metallic or plastic textured back, a flat screen design with shatter resistant glass or flexible curved display.

32 GB variants are the norm now, but why stop there? In a few years, 64GB will be the norm and then 128. Is it really that much more expensive to just throw the storage capacity in?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you think Samsung will go all out on the S8?

Do you think Samsung will up the ante on the upcoming S8 so as to compensate for the Note 7 debacle? Is it logistically possible for Samsung to give extra features and specs on the S8 at this stage of development?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you think Samsung will go all out on the S8?

Too early for speculation isn't it? The Note 7 debacle is such a mess it ain't even funny (anymore!).

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site

:cool: I second the "Nahoku" statement is too early to ask Androiders
to comment on this. To apply some logic on this Note7 recall
issue. The massive negative campaing overseas
already damage the Note7-Market

On top of that its competitor iPhone7 will start to be delivered. Some
samSung users-will purchase iPhone instead of risky Note7's
or Start think better-Wait for Note8: Stay Tuned!

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Gee guys, I was just asking your thoughts on the matter. It's not like I was asking you to wager your homes on it.

I personally think this Note 7 fiasco will actually do good for future Galaxy and Note models. I'm sure Samsung will go back to the drawing board regarding manufacturing, design and quality control. And I personally think that Samsung will try to up the ante on S8 to make up for this.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Gee guys, I was just asking your thoughts on the matter.
Well, that's all I gave you.

All previous Samsung phones had no problem with anything close to what's happening with the Note 7. The problem facing the Note 7 happened by chance and no one knew, or even suspected, it might happen or they wouldn't have released the phone. Samsung didn't deviate from what they've been doing all along. The fact that the battery turned out to be a problem doesn't reflect on anything else they did, as nothing was done differently from any other phone they ever made. Given that, there's really no reason to change anything on the upcoming phones... except for better testing (hopefully!), now that they know better. Anyways, making the next phone better than the Note 7 won't do anything to help the current situation. It also wouldn't make up anything for current Note 7 owners... unless they gave each current owner a free Note 8!

JMO

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Well, that's all I gave you.

All previous Samsung phones had no problem with anything close to what's happening with the Note 7. The problem facing the Note 7 happened by chance and no one knew, or even suspected, it might happen or they wouldn't have released the phone. Samsung didn't deviate from what they've been doing all along. The fact that the battery turned out to be a problem doesn't reflect on anything else they did, as nothing was done differently from any other phone they ever made. Given that, there's really no reason to change anything on the upcoming phones... except for better testing (hopefully!), now that they know better. Anyways, making the next phone better than the Note 7 won't do anything to help the current situation. It also wouldn't make up anything for current Note 7 owners... unless they gave each current owner a free Note 8!

JMO

You say Samsung hasn't done anything different. It seems to be the common consensus of industry analysts that Samsung rushed the Note 7 into production to give it an early release before iPhone 7.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Do you think Samsung will up the ante on the upcoming S8 so as to compensate for the Note 7 debacle? Is it logistically possible for Samsung to give extra features and specs on the S8 at this stage of development?

I don't think they'll up the ante. We'll continue to see VR/micro SD card/Gear Fit bonuses however.

I strongly believe that tech and features are purposely held back a number of years and doled out with each years version.
For example:

Flexible/self healing displays have been talked about for a couple of years at least
Battery tech is probably more advanced than we think it is
Consumers are charged a premium for storage options
Gorilla Glass 6 will be slightly better than 5, but not as good as it could be, because 7 needs to be better
Screen protectors and cases are still required to prevent damage from even the smallest of drops

Who knows if they'll do the curved edges on all variants. I for one am not quite ready for it yet, so I'll be looking somewhere else if they do. The S8 will offer just enough to make people want to upgrade from their s6 or s7, but don't expect anything that completely destroys the competition.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I think Samsung is really trying to make good on their customer service game here to make up for things - and they're doing a really good job of it. Maybe they'll also translate that good will into other areas like the S8 - only time will tell.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

The Note 7 fiasco has happened. Latest reports suggest Samsung may push forward the launching of the S8. This IMO is foolishness and pressing the panic button. If they are seen by the public as hurrying the S8 out and any other significant problems are found with it droves of loyal customers who stayed through the Note 7 uproar will leave(including me). Samsung should take their time with the S8(I.e dot their "T"s , cross their "I"s and triple check their trousers(and skirts) are zipped up properly). I'm still going to get the Note 7.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

You say Samsung hasn't done anything different. It seems to be the common consensus of industry analysts that Samsung rushed the Note 7 into production to give it an early release before iPhone 7.
The Note 7 was released Aug 2016... one year after the Note 5 which was released Aug 2015. I'm not sure where these analysts got their info. If anything was rushed to release, it wasn't the Note 7, but rather the Note 5 which was released less than a year after the Note 4. The "analyst" said the same thing about the Note 5 release... being done to get it out before the iPhone 6.

All these analysts are bozo's if they think a phone manufacture can design, procure parts, manufacture, test, and release a phone in just one year. Not going to happen. If anything, the consensus of these analysts is to find some far out reason to pin the battery problem on. Yup, if they can somehow convince people that Samsung rushed the phone, then they can pin that on why the battery wasn't tested more fully.

I can see only 2 reasons why the battery failed... 1) Samsung wanted cheaper battery costs... 2) The battery vendor complied. However, I cannot for any reason believe that Samsung ever suspected the new battery might fail.

The reason I say "Samsung hasn't done anything different" is because I firmly believe the Note 8 team has been working on it for at least a year, and there's already a team working on the Note 9. 30 years of electronic engineering experience tells me so.