Samsung you're in serious trouble if you think people will pay $1000 for a phone

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it means that. Now if they lowered like the way LG does then I can see. LGs seem to drop like a rock.

With the S8 they ran some good deals not too long after release. Both Samsung.com and Best Buy.

Their executives totally FUBARed the Note 7 recall. That should have been fixed properly and never recalled again. They should have properly fixed the battery issue instead of just basically throwing a new, same battery in it with the same issues. Hopefully they lost some big bonus money in that.

When are people going to get over it and move on from the note7 mess. My god it's been a year. If it still bothers y'all then don't get the note 8 or any Samsung phone. Samsung ain't going to cry over y'all like y'all cry over them. Of course they lost money. Duh. It's 2017, not 2016 so move on to better things people.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Should have bought it through Best Buy. I Pre-ordered mine as well, but they gave me a hundred off both mine and my wife's S8 pluses. There's deals to be had, even at launch if you don't go through your carrier.

I have tmobile which you can't get at Best Buy. If the unlocked one was coming out at the exact same time I Would have bought it at Best Buy if they had a better deal on it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I am looking at VZW website and Samsung S8+ is still at $840.
Who says prices drop?
In fact even the old S7 is near $600.

Carriers don't drop their prices as much and generally don't run as many deals. I'm mainly talking about Best Buy, Samsung.com. They seem to run sales on a more regular basis.

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
When are people going to get over it and move on from the note7 mess. My god it's been a year. If it still bothers y'all then don't get the note 8 or any Samsung phone. Samsung ain't going to cry over y'all like y'all cry over them. Of course they lost money. Duh. It's 2017, not 2016 so move on to better things people.

I personally agree, it's water under the bridge. I'm just ready to move on.

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have been keeping my Note 4 while waiting to upgrade to a new Note and none of those that came out after suit. The 5 had no swappable battery and no SD expansion...so it was a no go. The 7 came out and i didn't like it so i skipped even though i needed a waterproof device; the choice was right considering what happened after. Now this comes out with that screen ratio that, having tested on S8+, makes it really hard to read books and do other things for which a wider than taller screen is required. I kept an S8+ for a few days (courtesy of a friend who was enthusiast about it) and then returned it to him without regrets, much happier with the Note 4 except for the lack of waterproof properties. They already sent me an invitation to go see it (I am in Taiwan...they show them quick and start selling them even faster...and with my contract having expired last year i could get it for half the price)...i will go on the 24th...but if the display really looks like the renders, with that taller than wider format i'll move onto something else. I have tested using a Sony Xperia XZ Premium side by side with an S8+ and the Sony was much better for reading and most of what i need to do, because you don't use the curved part of the screen nor you use the taller section at all. A waste of space.

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I didn't realize this was rumored to be $1000 phone. Might be sitting this one out and just get the S8+. It's a bit steep, especially after the Note 7 being a huge failure.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
a) Yes, they will sell a ton of these. Well, sorta.
b) Samsung ALWAYS has great promotions, buy one get one, steep discounts, etc. No one should EVER pay full price for a Samsung because the sales are always there.
c) Those who do pay full price, are still usually getting $100-250 in free gifts, which should be subtracted from the price.
d) People have already been paying over $1000 for phones. Pixel XL 128 GB was over $1000 including tax (if you paid full price), the iPhone 7+ was over $1000 including tax for both 128 GB and 256 GB options. If they drop the Note 8 at $950, its no different.
e) f g, h i j k l m n o p
q) many people buy phones on payment plans. The difference between $850 and $950 is $100, which is $4.17 per month. No one cares about $4.17 per month. At least no one I've ever heard about.
r) s, t u v
w) low sales of the Note 8 will not and cannot bankrupt Samsung Mobile, let alone Samsung overal
x) if you don't like the phone or don't like the price, don't buy it
y) are you so mad?
z) Samsung can price phones however they want and the market can respond however they want.

There. 26ish reasons for this not to be a big deal. At all.

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It is supposed to be around $940 for the 64GB model it looks like.

The price might hurt sales a little, BUT I think it's the S8 Plus that will hurt sales more compared to the Note 7 because some people bought the S8 Plus and now have a big screen or simply will buy an S8 Plus for cheaper.

That is for people who buy the Note for the big screen, not the spen. Last year you didn't have a big screen model for the S7 so you had to buy the Note 7 to get the big screen.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I didn't realize this was rumored to be $1000 phone. Might be sitting this one out and just get the S8+. It's a bit steep, especially after the Note 7 being a huge failure.

It is supposed to be $900-940 range from what I'm hearing. Still very steep when factoring in taxes and buying cases for it, it is still over 1k.

Now the Emperor edition and 128 gb edition will be over $1000 though but with the micro SD card slot there really isn't a reason to buy the more expensive one.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Reading what is being said out there and its known that many will not pay over $1k for a phone period. When a phone becomes more expensive than laptops or desktops, there is a problem.

I won't pay $1k either and I always buy top of the line phones.

Phones have been $700 plus for over 5 years now, you can buy 2 laptops for that. Phones are still selling just fine.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This is probably the year of the $1000 phone. Note 8, iPhone 8 and even the Mate 10 are all being reported to be around or over $1000. Once one breaks that barrier, others are sure to follow

LGman072

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Sure they will. If people will spend thousands on expensive cars they can't afford (plus interest) they certainly will on a phone with interest free payments. If not, Samsung will make a market based correction. They already have one planned anyways. All flagship phones do drop in price at some point. Only question is when.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Sure they will. If people will spend thousands on expensive cars they can't afford (plus interest) they certainly will on a phone with interest free payments. If not, Samsung will make a market based correction. They already have one planned anyways. All flagship phones do drop in price at some point. Only question is when.

Except they can't repo phones like they can with cars when people don't pay lol.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
b) Samsung ALWAYS has great promotions, buy one get one, steep discounts, etc. No one should EVER pay full price for a Samsung because the sales are always there.
c) Those who do pay full price, are still usually getting $100-250 in free gifts, which should be subtracted from the price.
d) People have already been paying over $1000 for phones. Pixel XL 128 GB was over $1000 including tax (if you paid full price), the iPhone 7+ was over $1000 including tax for both 128 GB and 256 GB options. If they drop the Note 8 at $950, its no different.
q) many people buy phones on payment plans. The difference between $850 and $950 is $100, which is $4.17 per month. No one cares about $4.17 per month. At least no one I've ever heard about.
r) s, t u v
w) low sales of the Note 8 will not and cannot bankrupt Samsung Mobile, let alone Samsung overal
y) are you so mad?
z) Samsung can price phones however they want and the market can respond however they want.

Yes!

YYCmanders

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
I'll be on the pre-order for the Note 8. With the freebies being offered at launch and just being able to add it onto my bill, it makes it easily affordable for myself and many others doing it this way. Paying outright is where more people are going to have a tough time in my opinion.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
r) s, t u v
y) are you so mad?

Lmao