Note Owners...What Do You Use Your Note For?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The unveiling of the new note 8 definitely has me thinking about getting a new phone. I currently have a galaxy s7. Before that, I had a note 3 for two years. I like the idea of all of the new productivity features of the note and the s-pen, and the infographs Samsung released regarding note owners has me thinking that I miss my note (https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-infographic-explains-why-Galaxy-Note-fans-like-the...-Galaxy-Note-series-so-much_id97344). However, I think back to when I had my note 3, and I barely even pulled out the s-pen. My question is, what do you note owners use your note for that makes it so irreplaceable? Was I missing out on something the whole time I had my note?

Last edited:

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I haven't been a Note owner since last Fall due to the ill-fated Note 7 explosions. However, I did own a Note 2, 3, 4, and 5 before that, so I think I'm qualified to speak here. :)

I used the S-Pen occasionally for grocery lists, writing memos to myself at work, and of course the AOD notes for the two months for which I owned the Note 7. But honestly, the thing I used my S-Pen for most frequently was for navigating my web browser and other apps. Basically, I used it as the phone version of a computer mouse. The S-Pen is a great way to keep skin oil off your phone's screen, to hover over icons to remind yourself what buttons execute what actions, to preview emails without opening them, to scroll up or down on a webpage, etc. Yeah, the S-Pen's pressure sensitivity feature and drawing capabilities are great (even though I'm no artist). But for me, it was its utility as a sort of "smart stylus" that sold me.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I in the minority for thinking that it was faster/easier to just type out things like lists with the on screen keyboard rather than pulling out the pen and writing? Maybe I just wasn't using it right, but I always had trouble writing out things with the pen. I would write one word and wait on it to recognize it so that I could begin writing the next word. The screen just felt too small to continue writing as you would on a sheet of paper. Writing one word seemed to take up 2/3 of the screen.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Same as my current phone-dont and personal stuff. Lots of email, photos, documents, music, messenger (my daughter and grand kids main contact method), banking, bills, and everything else you can think of lol.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Right here, maybe it depends on the type of writing you became used to before the Note series came along. I was a long time palm pilot user before getting a note; and using the stylus both for note taking and for general use is a lot easier paradigm for me than it might be for people who grew into smart phones from using the old number pad keyboards or the virtual keyboards that are available now.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I use S-Note and of course that is best used with the S-pen. On S-Note I make scrapbooks, do journal entries, make picture notebooks and all sort of other stuff. It also works well with photoshop touch.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I use my sPen all the time and have crazy good notes and reminders. I'm coming from the Note 3 to Note 4 and then to the 7 and back to the four. best phone I've ever owned and the Note 7 was crazy good. broke me up to give it back. I use my notes for everything. a lot of folks use the split screen apps too.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
My first Note was the 7. My second note was the 7! In the short time I used that s-pen on that big screen for everything from scrolling on screen to taking notes and finally to filling in a complex form using Adobe fill & sign, I thought wow. So I'm really hoping I can get my head around (or should it be finger lol) the fps on back or else the iris scan can negate that gripe, then I'll be back on board.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The main thing I used my S-pen for in the past was to crop and edit pictures and take screen shots. I also used it to write notes and I would do the odd doodle. On the note 3 I started making scrap books with cuttings I'd taken from different places.

There have been a lot of new s-pen features since I last had a note (4) such as animated gifs and off screen writing which I look forward to using.

I shall also be using that sparkly pen for live messages and doing colouring on pen up.