is fast charging not good for battery performance, or not ?

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Is fast-type charging not generally good for battery performance, including heating up battery too much and other, Or not?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
My note 5 gets a little warm at times if my phone is bout dead when I put it on my wireless charger. But that's rare. Most of the time it's all good.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
These batteries can handle higher charge rates than any phone will allow, so I wouldn't worry.

Sorry but all the replies so far are wrong. Fast charging and wireless charging are both detrimental to battery longevity. All articles on lithium ion batteries state this. If you plan to keep a phone for more than 2 years avoid fast and wireless charging. Also avoid charging to full and avoid letting the battery go to a low state. Ideally, charge between 40 and 80/90%.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Fast charging and wireless charging are both detrimental to battery longevity.

I can't speak to wireless charging, as I haven't done any research on it or used it myself. I have looked into wired charging through various sources (namely Battery University) and fast charging on phones is not too fast for standard Lipo batteries. If you're familiar with C ratings on batteries, Lipos can handle a 1C charge without issue. Most phones don't cross that, even with fast/quick charging (there may be one or two outliers, but I'm speaking in general). I do commonly see 2- 5C charging in some hobby Lipos, and those batteries are designed for it.

Now if you are using the phone, that can possibly add to the heat that can damage a battery, but that's why phones throttle their charge rates when this happens. It's to protect them. If your phone is getting that hot, then it's not the charging rate killing it. Heck, in some cases it could not be charging at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty