Transferring Data From Note 5 to Note 8

abobbo

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Just got my phone today and trying to transfer some pictures and other information from N5 to N8. What is the best way to do this? Can I connect them via USB cable? Which adapters would I use as the ones included with N8 don't seem to be the proper ones? Thanks in advance for any help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Everything you need is in the box. Just follow the Smart Switch app instructions and you're done! Select the data that you want to transfer from the Note 5 to the 8 and that's it. It's probably the easiest way of doing it.

OTG microUSB should be in the box for the Note 5, that's pretty much all you need (that, and of course, the USB-C cable from your new Note)

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Just got my phone today and trying to transfer some pictures and other information from N5 to N8. What is the best way to do this? Can I connect them via USB cable? Which adapters would I use as the ones included with N8 don't seem to be the proper ones? Thanks in advance for any help.

Lol yea, make sure you look at exactly what you want to transfer. Apparently I had to leave the 93K+ texts off the list. 😅😅

Attachments

• 4824.jpg
    4824.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 15

abobbo

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Everything you need is in the box. Just follow the Smart Switch app instructions and you're done! Select the data that you want to transfer from the Note 5 to the 8 and that's it. It's probably the easiest way of doing it.

OTG microUSB should be in the box for the Note 5, that's pretty much all you need (that, and of course, the USB-C cable from your new Note)
Thanks, I'm having trouble connecting them via usb. I have usb c connected to Note 8 but the larger and of that cable does not fit into the micro usb adapter unless I'm missing something?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'm having trouble connecting them via usb. I have usb c connected to Note 8 but the larger and of that cable does not fit into the micro usb adapter unless I'm missing something?

I think it goes the other way around. Just follow the visual prompts from Smart Switch, it'll show you which adapter goes into which phone. IIRC the OTG adapter goes into your Note 8 since you're connecting the Note 5 as an external device.

abobbo

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
I think it goes the other way around. Just follow the visual prompts from Smart Switch, it'll show you which adapter goes into which phone. IIRC the OTG adapter goes into your Note 8 since you're connecting the Note 5 as an external device.

Ok so I think my issue is the usb connector that came with the note 8 does not fit into the note 8 port. Perhaps I'm wrong? The usb connector I'm trying to use is the larger square one that came with the phone. Is this the correct one?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the one you have is wrong (you shouldn't), but yeah, it should be the larger square one. One prong is USB-C (which fits into the Note 8), and the other side is a normal USB female input.

Here's a video of how it connects on the S8; it should be the same for the Note 8 since both share the USB-C input.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH8b0Fvmry4

And this one seems to confirm it (Note 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnIOsKirt90