AOD Burn In Concern

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I know the AOD makes it convenient to see the time and date as well as what kind of notifications we received. My concern is since it's constantly on in the same spot, will it cause burn in. Do we have the option so it shifts around periodically to avoid burn in? I have a Gear S3 so I don't really need to look at my phone to find out the current date, time and notifications. Just wondering about burn in.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I believe it shifts around imperceptibly by default. I don't have a Samsung with AOD, but if I did, I would turn the AOD off for burn-in concerns and because I read somewhere in a Note 8 review that the AOD does use up some battery.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere about months ago its less than 1% per hour and will not cause burn in, especially on the this screen since there's so much room for it to move around.

brandon_powell

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You can turn it off in the settings but it does move around to prevent burn in. The virtual home button is a whole different matter. You can also turn it off on the lock screen. (It may actually be turned of by default now. It wasn’t when the S8s first came out)

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You can turn it off in the settings but it does move around to prevent burn in. The virtual home button is a whole different matter. You can also turn it off on the lock screen. (It may actually be turned of by default now. It wasn’t when the S8s first came out)

The virtual home button also moves to prevent burn in. If people are worried about it then simply turn AOD off but I've had around 13 or 14 phones with Always On Display now and not one of them have suffered burn in or significant battery drain from using it 24/7. For me it's way too valuable and useful to turn off

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I know the AOD makes it convenient to see the time and date as well as what kind of notifications we received. My concern is since it's constantly on in the same spot, will it cause burn in. Do we have the option so it shifts around periodically to avoid burn in? I have a Gear S3 so I don't really need to look at my phone to find out the current date, time and notifications. Just wondering about burn in.

this questions has been coming up since the note 7, it is not an issue. it moves around the screen.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The virtual home button also moves to prevent burn in. If people are worried about it then simply turn AOD off but I've had around 13 or 14 phones with Always On Display now and not one of them have suffered burn in or significant battery drain from using it 24/7. For me it's way too valuable and useful to turn off
Were all those 13 phones Samsung? Because AOD on Samsung first came out with the S7. On Samsung phones with AOD type screens have no need to worry about burn ins because they're LCDs. Only OLED type screens have burn in issues, and Samsung and the v30 so far are the only OLED type phones AFAIK.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Were all those 13 phones Samsung? Because AOD on Samsung first came out with the S7. On Samsung phones with AOD type screens have no need to worry about burn ins because they're LCDs. Only OLED type screens have burn in issues, and Samsung and the v30 so far are the only OLED type phones AFAIK.

Only thing I've ever seen burn in on(other than the old arcade games) is my MOTO 360, and it has an LCD screen. Can only see against the grey of the settings screen.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ever since Samsung added AOD there's always this question for every one of their phones. And the answer is the same: whatever is on the AOD moves ever so slightly to prevent burn in.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It moves around and it's usually kind of dim, plus it deactivates in a pocket.

Might be a concern over a few years, but not likely to cause a problem.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes the home button specifically moves around to prevent burn in and you don't really notice it moved.

Been using AOD since they've introduced it and no burn in issues.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've always had it on with my s7 edge and after over a year still no burn in. I also don't keep the brightness up

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

4 of them were. S7, s7edge, s8 and s8 Plus. Never had a single hint of burn in on any if those

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You probably didn't own and use any of them long enough to cause a burn in.
My S7E has no burn in. Got it April last year. My old Note 2 never had a burn in after more than 3yrs of use. My mom still uses my brother's old S3. No burn in. To be honest I've only seen burn in once in my life, and that's 8 years ago on a friend's Galaxy S. My own Galaxy S never had a burn in though.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I worked Verizon for 4 years, saw a few phones with burn in that were owned by customers. Our store displays would develope it anywhere from a few months to a year, almost every display. Thing is, the displays were at max brightness and powered on 24/7 connected to chargers/security alarms. Batteries ballooned up and split some of the phones open before a year old. It's why I won't charge my phones over night.