Samsung-unlocked on T-mobile

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
how "compatible" is an unlocked model on the T-mobile network? Aside from wifi calling, what else would be missing? all my prior Notes were Tmobile branded but I am wondering if I should try the unlocked version since they're already available. Does Samsung push out security updates for unlocked models faster? - my s8+ is still on the July update. I do use the tmoble account app but I assume that can be downloaded. is there anything else I should consider before ordering the unlocked vs tmo branded note?

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I ordered unlocked in T-Mobile. With the launch of unlocked along with carrier versions for the first time, am expecting change in the way updates are handled. Just my thoughts though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you going to use the fact that it's unlocked to go to a different carrier, or to get a local SIM in Europe? If not, get the TMobile-branded one and after it's been on TMobile for at least 40 days, and it's fully paid for, they'll send you the unlock code (T-Mobile SIM Unlocking). But it might be missing some of the 4G bands needed for AT&T or some European carriers. (So which one would be better for you depends on how you plan to use it.)

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tips/insights! I don't plan to use the "sim unlocked" feature. I usually purchase the device upfront so I usually unlock it via the app after about a month or so. the main reason I'm considering the unlocked version is because of it's availability right now. this is the 1st time I didn't pre order, and now tmobile website only says unavailable under shipping date. Amazon has them available (and not thru a 3rd party seller). I'm hoping Samsung will be updating faster than Tmobile does, but I've always assumed unlocked versions were slow to be updated. however since it's available at launch perhaps Samsung will bypass carrier updates. before dropping $1k I just wanted to see what the differences were. thanks again your tips!

brancross

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
but how to unlock if I pay full price from Samsung web? I do not see they have unlock option to unlock TMobile or att phones.

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
but how to unlock if I pay full price from Samsung web? I do not see they have unlock option to unlock TMobile or att phones.

i'm not sure but I would assume if you buy a carrier branded device from Samsung direct, you'd have to call Samsung to unlock it. I've only had devices thru tmobile and after about a month or so, it can be unlocked using the installed tmo "device unlock" app. I wonder if the Samsung-purchased carrier phones are the same process?

brancross

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
i'm not sure but I would assume if you buy a carrier branded device from Samsung direct, you'd have to call Samsung to unlock it. I've only had devices thru tmobile and after about a month or so, it can be unlocked using the installed tmo "device unlock" app. I wonder if the Samsung-purchased carrier phones are the same process?

thanks for the info. I haven't purchased a carrier phone from Samsung, will try that.

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I've never purchased from Samsung before but my first purchase may be the unlocked variant. i'm still deciding. ive always bought from the carrier since unlocked ones were never available at launch.