Goodbye AOD

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a trusted place. I shouldnt have to use an unlock method. my phone is on my desk 2 feet away. I should be able to double tap the message icon and see the message. This is splitting hairs but it's counter-intuitive. Longpress the home button/icon and it opens right up to the home screen, but not for notifications. maybe its a feature so that your not opening apps in your pocket if you have Keep unlocked on your body activated.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If you use the phone in your typical way without it on, let us know the% difference by bed time.
Today I may have had slightly less usage than normal. But, I am guessing that I would have had 5-8% less battery with AOD on all day. This was with only 2 hours screen on time. Most days I think is around 3 or so at this time.
7911556e770f57165a9861c1d6e4c266.jpg

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure people already know this but I will throw it out there anyway for anyone that doesn't.
There are conditions where the AOD screen is off. When it's in my belt holster it's off, I believe there is a setting where it's off when in a pocket or similar space. You can also customize (to an extent) what's displayed. I do wish they would bring back the setting where you could set it to switch to edge clock at night. (I remember that from the S7 Edge, I think the Note 7 had it as well)

Cheers,
BR

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I liked AOD all day, then having it swap to edge clock at night.
Is this a setting? That would be nice.

I wad using AOD but I turned it off today. It seemed to help my battery slightly. By slightly I mean probably not enough to notice.

I wish there was a way to dim AOD. I know it works with auto brightness but it could be a lot dimmer for me.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually enjoying it myself so far. I haven't not used it since day one (two weeks now) so I can't speak for how much extra battery it uses but on a busy day when I don't use my phone much, it doesn't seem to drain it much at all. The fact that you have to double tap or get to the main lock screen to see what the notification itself is isn't a big deal to me.

Bottom line- diggin it

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Is this a setting? That would be nice.

I wad using AOD but I turned it off today. It seemed to help my battery slightly. By slightly I mean probably not enough to notice.

I wish there was a way to dim AOD. I know it works with auto brightness but it could be a lot dimmer for me.
Have you tried changing the color? I have one of the dim dark green stock backgrounds and green clock numbers. It's much dimmer than the white.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
AOD winds up saving battery in the long run. I used to have to turn the screen on constantly to either see the time or notifications and that uses battery far more than AOD running

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been using AOD since it was first on the S7E and it does not affect my battery life at all - in fact, like the above poster said, it winds up saving a lot of battery for me because I don't have to constantly turn the screen on every time I want to know the time (and that's quite a lot while I'm at work, so it really does make a difference).

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
AOD also turns off when you put the phone in your bag or pocket. Not sure if it is the proximity sensor or just title darkness or a combo that turns it off but it definitely does turn off when I put it in my pocket. Turns back on when I take it out.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried changing the color? I have one of the dim dark green stock backgrounds and green clock numbers. It's much dimmer than the white.
Tried it. Still the same. I don't need it to be bright even if the room is bright I want it to save even more battery. I guess I'll just keep it on and flip the phone over. I don't really care what time it is or who messages me. If it's that important then you should call, lol.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
I won't use AOD as it take up too much battery. I check my Gear S3 Frontier watch for the time which saves 100% of my note8's battery. ;)

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It's just an extra step to get into my phone I don't need.

Power button.
Swipe.

Easy.

Unless I'm doing it wrong all I need is an LED to tell me I have messages.
IDK if you know this and I just found it out. Go to setting and display then navigation bar and turn on Unlock with home button. This takes you directly into the phone from AOD. I still wish I could come AOD. It's brighter then my actual auto brightness...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana