Are the carrier sold Note8 devices carrier locked?

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone to Note8. With the iPhones, the last several generations were not carrier locked, even if they had the carrier identifier on the box. I just bought an AT&T Note8 from the AT&T store. Is this carrier locked? If so, how would I get it unlocked? I'm not planning to leave AT&T any time soon, but just being safe.

Thanks,

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
There is not a yes/no to that as some are, some aren't, some just branded but not locked and some could be both

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The att note 8 is carrier locked though you can flash the unlocked software or software for another carrier on it. In the usa, the only carrier variant that is factory sim unlocked is Verizon.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile version. They have a device unlock app included which when the phone is eligible, will unlock the phone within a few seconds of running. The app keeps telling me that my device is ineligible even though I bought it outright on launch day. I called T-Mobile and they tell me the phone has to be in use for 45 days before they will unlock it.

I had also bought a S7 Edge back in February when T-Mobile had them for $360. I was making payments on it and the device unlock app kept telling me it was ineligible to be unlocked also after the fifth months payment. I went online and paid it off. Two minutes after paying the phone off, I ran the unlock app again and it unlocked the phone. There are times when T-Mobiles 45 day rule doesn't count and that's obviously when you are making payments on a phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone to Note8. With the iPhones, the last several generations were not carrier locked, even if they had the carrier identifier on the box. I just bought an AT&T Note8 from the AT&T store. Is this carrier locked? If so, how would I get it unlocked? I'm not planning to leave AT&T any time soon, but just being safe.

Thanks,

iPhones have never been carrier unlocked, save for the Verizon LTE models.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also the tmobile and att iPhone 7 don't have cdma radios, not to mention that they are inferior to the cdma versions...

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Also the tmobile and att iPhone 7 don't have cdma radios, not to mention that they are inferior to the cdma versions...

Yes, Apple used two kinds of radios in them and one was capable of faster LTE speeds then the other so Apple purposefully slowed down the faster one so that it would be more in line with the slower one.

I remember reading about this when the 7 was first released. Turned me off on ever wanting one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Apple used two kinds of radios in them and one was capable of faster LTE speeds then the other so Apple purposefully slowed down the faster one so that it would be more in line with the slower one.

I remember reading about this when the 7 was first released. Turned me off on ever wanting one.
More in line... But the qualcomm one was still faster. Not by a huge amount though.

uploadfromtaptalk1507098947173.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty