note 8 screen burn in

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
You will get burn in if you keep your screen on for long periods at a time with a static image. My friends S8 has serious burn in cuz he had his screen set to turn off after 10 min of inactivity so when he sets it down on his desk is just stays on and his home screen is burned into the screen. So if he checks his phone once in awhile when it's on his desk it can potentially stay on for a long time. This is what people need to keep in mind with these amoled or oled displays. It's not a defective screen but user error.

Not according to Samsung.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
OLED can burn in. Simple as that. Take precautions if you care about that.
If you don’t like the physics and nature of OLED, then don’t buy a phone with a OLED screen.
Precautions for OLEDs are well known and the nature of OLED is well known. No surprises or secrets about it.

Thank you for your input Fred98TJ, but I'll buy whatever I want and what makes me happy. I have 8 different Samsung products here at home, 4 of them are phone's, simply because I think they are they best. IMO

Like I told the Manager of the Technical department.
Why make Oled screens if I can't use them the way I want too?
A LONG pause....,
"We're sorry for any inconveniences, and you have our assurance that this situation with be rectified with the utmost of urgency.

I'm 55 years of age and my brightness is on high and set at fhd, just because of the astigmatism that I have.
I HAVE NO BURN-IN.
But even if that wasn't an issue, I'll set these settings on whatever I want.

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
These phone's just came out and that's what they wanna do, repair the screen?
You tell them to repair the screen, but I demand a new phone. Not Refurbished, not rebuilt, not repaired, I want a new one.
Unacceptable for this to happen this early.
Samsung support first told me and I quote "Screen
(burn in) isn't uncommon with the screen over a period of time, you may even get it after a few months of use. Reduce your brightness down 25% and run it in fhd". Tha Fu???
And I unquote.
I told him to get his manager or supervisor on the phone or I will pack all 3 of these phone's up and drive to Maywood, NJ and leave them there.
The phone is 7 weeks old
"We can repair"
I JUST HUNG UP.
Drove to my carrier and showed the technician and he couldn't believe it.
(Burn in) this early not good
regardless of settings,
(burn in) shouldn't occur in a phone 7 freaking weeks born.
Cut to the chase.
New phone sent courtesy of Samsung no charges. Got also a free Gear 360 camera, I guess as an apology of some sort.
I'm pissed now because my daughter took the camera.
Get a new phone bro.
Best wishes bro

Thanks a lot for outlining your campaign. Im pretty much trying to emulate what you did at the moment. Like you mentioned they're trying to get away with a quick repair which i refused. They say they're escalating it to higher authorities at the moment but im sure as hell not settling. Hope you've got your replacements.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot for outlining your campaign. Im pretty much trying to emulate what you did at the moment. Like you mentioned they're trying to get away with a quick repair which i refused. They say they're escalating it to higher authorities at the moment but im sure as hell not settling. Hope you've got your replacements.

Yes I did get my New Replacement. They wanted to repair, unacceptable, tried to pass off a refurbished one, unacceptable. Got a hold of the right person and a New phone was sent along with a Gear 360 camera. I wasn't looking for anything free, just which was entitled to me. And thank you Samsung, for showing concern and consideration for one of your loyal customers.
Already looking forward to the S9 note.
Good luck and stay on them.

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
There are people who spend a considerable period of their lives outdoors.
If you were to set your phone to auto brightness and you are outside in broad day light you don't even have to do anything. The phone turns the brightness way high in the 80-100 percent zone.
Given this situation would you blame the user or call the phone screen masochistic then?
No insult intended to those saying that its stupid to turn up the brightness. If that is the case then why isn't there a warning like the one you get when you turn up the volume?
And we do get that its a limitation of AMOLED or OLED technology but its no excuse for the issue to present itself in two months of use in my case.

ocramida

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Do the phones have a manufacture date?

Sorry if this was already mentioned (skimmed 80+ posts and didn't see it mentioned).

I got one of the first.

Thanks

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I also have pretty bad burn in. Mine is from the Waze Navigation App. I can clearly see the speed limit sign, report an incident icon, and the entire bottom navigation bar. I have auto brightness enable so the brightness varies...

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
There are people who spend a considerable period of their lives outdoors.
If you were to set your phone to auto brightness and you are outside in broad day light you don't even have to do anything. The phone turns the brightness way high in the 80-100 percent zone.
Given this situation would you blame the user or call the phone screen masochistic then?
No insult intended to those saying that its stupid to turn up the brightness. If that is the case then why isn't there a warning like the one you get when you turn up the volume?
And we do get that its a limitation of AMOLED or OLED technology but its no excuse for the issue to present itself in two months of use in my case.

There is a warning about eye strain! When you turn it all the way up it warms you.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Respectfully, I will turn my phone up as high as I want to accomplish different things that I personally want to do.
I have written Samsung regarding this matter, and I will get a new one Everytime.
Now, does my phone need to be set on brightness all the time, absolutely not. But again, I paid for it, and I'll use it any way I want to.
As for throwing a phone, you know yourself that's irresponsible and asinine.
Technical Management and Warranty department, has assured me that I under no circumstances, should have (Oled Display Screen Burn-in) this early regardless of any settings that I choose to use on my phone.
Suggestions were made, but again I am free to use the settings as I please. And I have received assurances that as of no cost to myself, a new phone will be replaced if this occurs in the near future. Not a refurbished phone, but a new phone. Again, no phone should have
(oled display burn-in), this early.
Case is closed.

Also, no one is dumb. They may be miss informed and or uninformed, but name calling, just simply shows the maturity in an individual.
This site is to help and I appreciate everyone's input.
You can set your settings on 50%, and that works for you.
Static issues, I'm supposed to be converted to now hold my new 900.00 phone a certain way to avoid these issues.
I'll tell you gentlemen and ladies like I've told Samsung.
This is clearly unacceptable, and they agree.
Coming from the S6 edge plus, (Screen burn in) didn't start to appear until a year and a half later. That can be expected on a phone with that much mileage on it.

My new phone is excellent, thank you Samsung.
That is great to hear that Samsung handled this situation so well. I read so many awful stories about Samsung customer service. I've had nothing but positive experiences and I'm glad you did as well. Enjoy your new phone!

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I also have pretty bad burn in. Mine is from the Waze Navigation App. I can clearly see the speed limit sign, report an incident icon, and the entire bottom navigation bar. I have auto brightness enable so the brightness varies...

That Waze app is pretty awesome though.
Salute!

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
That is great to hear that Samsung handled this situation so well. I read so many awful stories about Samsung customer service. I've had nothing but positive experiences and I'm glad you did as well. Enjoy your new phone!

Every company has their issues with customer service at one point or another. Just stay on them until you get the satisfied answers that you need.
Samsung really imo experience, have been a stand up company.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Every company has their issues with customer service at one point or another. Just stay on them until you get the satisfied answers that you need.
Samsung really imo experience, have been a stand up company.

That's ironic because they are still raping me of $275 and robbing me of my perfectly functioning LG G4. Been 3 weeks since they charged me and a phone rep confirmed it was because of "water damage" when there is no water damage and a support rep on live chat already said I'm fine. I hope to hell these guys get sued.

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Well you're fortunate to have a thing called consumer rights.

What we have here is plain consumer exploitation. The resolution on part of Sammy has been we only repair. Replacement warranty lasts 14 days believe it or not.

The guys had the audacity to ask me to visit customer care following which i was told they need to replace the battery along with the screen. Its mandatory since the battery poses a risk after the heating process to take the phone apart. And of-course they didn't have inventory.

I have been an advocate of Samsung and specially the note for a long time but for once i consider biting the Apple.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine how anyone can use this phone on full brightness it's way too bright and hurts my eyes when it's too bright. I know about burn in and I know it can happen so just because my phone can go full brightness does not mean that I should put it on full brightness, I just think that's careless in my opinion. It only goes on full brightness when I'm outside in the bright sun because I have my phone set on auto brightness. Other than that my phone stays on the first 1/3 of brightness

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Question, I've read a few of your post and appreciate your input. Do you think that's acceptable on a 900.00 phone to have to minimize the brightness to avoid burn in? I'm 55 and my eyes aren't what they use to be, with that being said, should it make a difference?
I heard 2 techs from Sammy say it should not happen especially within 7 weeks of ownership.
Then my carrier said no way you should have burn in regardless of your settings this early.
Then a support tech contacted me an told me that it Burn in is quite possible after about 6 months of use.
I'm paying the money, I should set the settings on whatever I need to to use the phone..
Why not set the limit on brightness at 50% and calling that Samsungs Full brightness setting.
I'll answer.
Because the phones wouldn't sell.
Respectfully what's your input as regards to the settings. Should a 900.00 phone have a restriction on the settings for brightness?

Yes I think it is. Because 75% brightness on that 900USD phone is more than 100% on other phones. 75% isn't the same for all devices. That's why some review sites also post brightness levels measured. Also the system already has a warning when you reach like 80% brightness. There's the red zone when increasing brightness. It's there because some instances may require it, but if you keep the phone on auto brightness it won't matter because it will decrease the brightness soon. Another thing to watch out for is the length of time before the screen sleeps.

Further, AMOLED screen standard testing is at 50% brightness. Time to burn in decreases exponentially as it goes higher. Also static images vary in intensity. It's not possible for them to know all your usage patterns for you to be adviced specifically so they gave you generic advice that should cover everything.

For your eyes, have you tried Accessibility Settings>Vision? There are options there for high contrast fonts, magnification gestures, etc to aid vision but keep brightness lower than otherwise would be used.

Personally I keep brightness on my phones on auto and sometimes use apps to adjust them even lower than standard autobrightness.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes I think it is. Because 75% brightness on that 900USD phone is more than 100% on other phones. 75% isn't the same for all devices. That's why some review sites also post brightness levels measured. Also the system already has a warning when you reach like 80% brightness. There's the red zone when increasing brightness. It's there because some instances may require it, but if you keep the phone on auto brightness it won't matter because it will decrease the brightness soon. Another thing to watch out for is the length of time before the screen sleeps.

Further, AMOLED screen standard testing is at 50% brightness. Time to burn in decreases exponentially as it goes higher. Also static images vary in intensity. It's not possible for them to know all your usage patterns for you to be adviced specifically so they gave you generic advice that should cover everything.

For your eyes, have you tried Accessibility Settings>Vision? There are options there for high contrast fonts, magnification gestures, etc to aid vision but keep brightness lower than otherwise would be used.

Personally I keep brightness on my phones on auto and sometimes use apps to adjust them even lower than standard autobrightness.

Appreciate the input.
Yes, I have to use a light source to view the television, phone and for reading.
I never should get this burn in this early, was all that I was saying, and Samsung agreed.
However, the phone in question was my daughter's phone, I was just merely stating my right as a consumer of Samsung Products.
I have brightness up high since day one. My daughter, uses her phone as she pleases, and as she should.
With that being said, if issues arise in the next couple of months, I'll be notifying Samsung again.
No pattern with the way I use my phones will change.
And after talking with Samsung I am assured customer satisfaction.
I'll leave it there, no need to rehash my issue. And that warning you see when you move the brightness all the way up, that's about battery consumption and eye strain.

Put it like this, I'll always have a Samsung phone.
Customer appreciation is everything, customer satisfaction is even more.
Thanks

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Should a 900.00 phone have a restriction on the settings for brightness?

Yes.. the restriction is the far right end of that brightness setting that the manufacturer (Samsung) limited the brightness to.

Samsung set the low end and the high end... you should be able to use it however you want. They also set the high end when set to Auto Brightness to over 1000nits so you’d think they know what they are doing right? And I say this respectfully.

It’s not unusual for people For many people to get any phone and set the screen to max... I use to do it all the time with phones So Samsungs aware of what type of owners they’ll have and when endurance testing their phones... more for warranty support than anything else probably, they test things like battery and display maxed out to make sure they are within levels to last the one year warranty that they are responsible for them lol.

The warning near max bright levels are not to say you’ll wear the screen... the warning is to warn about your eyes. No where in manual does it say do not keep at max brightness for too long in fear of screen degradation.

That being said, people are aware OLEDS can ghost and/or burn in images. So it’s us that warn not to max it out. I do it just to be safe because I do fear burn in and have seen it on many Samsung Demos at stores. But anyone that feels like they want to max out should be without people saying they shouldn’t or their fault.

My wife got her iPhone X and with it being Apples first OLED and she’s a heavy WeChat user almost always seeing the app up more than her home screenI told her you might wanna lower your brightness or change screens now and then cause OLEDS are notorious...

She said, “No matter. If it happens, It’s under warranty.” She’s right.

Enjoy your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670