Is it worth changing from, Google pay to Samsung pay ?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Visa Checkout now works with Samsung Pay so as Samsung Pay gets more integrated into online payments, I would say there is less and less reason for me to use Google Pay. Google doesn't seem to be interested in pushing Google Pay to be better while Samsung seems to be really pushing features and incentives like there's no tomorrow - and it's working.

Also back when people said MST was not a big deal because magnetic stripe was dying - here it is like 2 years later and I still use MST a lot on magnetic strip readers. It'll be a while before that is phased out and Samsung Pay has all your bases covered.

bbennett40

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've a few issues with Samsung pay and none really pertain to the service. ;) First is just usability. I'm a recent Windows Phone convert and enjoy the Microsoft Launcher. Between the launcher's app drawer, the navigation bar, and the Samsung Pay drawer, I'm in drawer hell at the bottom of the screen. Next, I trust Google just a tad more than I do Samsung with my stuff. Lastly, I just loath the cluttered screen that is the Samsung Pay app itself. Android Pay fits more easily into how I use my phone and works at all the places I used my previous phone. But, if I could alieve issue 1, I would consider Samsung for the rewards.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've a few issues with Samsung pay and none really pertain to the service. ;) First is just usability. I'm a recent Windows Phone convert and enjoy the Microsoft Launcher. Between the launcher's app drawer, the navigation bar, and the Samsung Pay drawer, I'm in drawer hell at the bottom of the screen. Next, I trust Google just a tad more than I do Samsung with my stuff. Lastly, I just loath the cluttered screen that is the Samsung Pay app itself. Android Pay fits more easily into how I use my phone and works at all the places I used my previous phone. But, if I could alieve issue 1, I would consider Samsung for the rewards.

I'm a WP convert too, and was using MS Launcher as well, so I understand the app drawer problem. Solution: There is no need to unlock your phone. With the screen off (the clock screen), just swipe up from the bottom of the screen. That will keep you away from the app drawer. Option 2. Buy a Gear S3 and use the watch for Samsung Pay.

Trusting Google over Samsung? That's up to you, but I'd trust Samsung before I trusted Google. But either one is going to have good security.

Cluttered SP app. Ummmm...everything is laid out nice neat, left to right, top to bottom. Does it matter where the different options are displayed in the columns?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Visa Checkout now works with Samsung Pay so as Samsung Pay gets more integrated into online payments, I would say there is less and less reason for me to use Google Pay. Google doesn't seem to be interested in pushing Google Pay to be better while Samsung seems to be really pushing features and incentives like there's no tomorrow - and it's working.

Also back when people said MST was not a big deal because magnetic stripe was dying - here it is like 2 years later and I still use MST a lot on magnetic strip readers. It'll be a while before that is phased out and Samsung Pay has all your bases covered.

Question: Why use Visa Check out if you already have Samsung Pay set up with a Visa card? Any benefits?

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Overall, the biggest advantage of Samsung Pay over Android Pay and iPay is the MST technology. You can use it to tap, just like Android Pay and iPay, but where taps are not accepted, it can simulate a swipe. In fact, I find that the MST (magnetic secure transmission) works better than the tap technology. The big trick is to get the cashier to get the machine ready for a swipe, when you aren't handing them a card. I used Android Pay for a while, but IMHO Samsung Pay far surpasses Android Pay and iPay.

BigRedGonzo
My Problem. Is the Walmart and 7 11 machines... Never takes it

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Question: Why use Visa Check out if you already have Samsung Pay set up with a Visa card? Any benefits?

The Visa Checkout would be for online payments for those stores and apps that support it. You could not use really Samsung Pay for online payments previously.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I’m confused. What does being a US resident have to do with Samsung Pay working on the Pixel 2? Am I missing something?

Obviously. One person said it works, another says it doesnt. It might have been a possibility that the one who said it didn't work lived outside the US.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Obviously. One person said it works, another says it doesnt. It might have been a possibility that the one who said it didn't work lived outside the US.

Samsung Pay is currently not available on phones that are not made by Samsung. Actually it's only available on the Samsung models that you posted above, so it is moot where someone is living if it doesn't work on Pixel 2.

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Bring up a card you've registered on Samsung pay by sliding up from the bottom of the phone screen, authenticate with irises or fingerprint, and hold the phone near the slider as it pulses. Use it all the time and it works well.

See, and that's the reason why I kinda don't like it.

With Android Pay, just unlock your phone and tap. Samsung's process has more swipes/taps to use it.

Lazy excuse? Sure.

What I DO like about Samsung Pay, however, is that I can have membership cards (library, YMCA, etc).

I dunno. Both have their pros and cons. It's hard to say one is ultimately better than the other.

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
I'd love to use Samsung pay especially with my Gear S3....but I have no choice because my bank Lloyds is not supported. Have to stick with android pay atm

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Pay is currently not available on phones that are not made by Samsung. Actually it's only available on the Samsung models that you posted above, so it is moot where someone is living if it doesn't work on Pixel 2.

Then explain why DrJay1 claims it works on his Pixel 2XL? As far as the phones I listed off the Samsung website, I have no idea if that page has been updated to include any other model phones than Samsung.

Maybe he's trolling; maybe he's stating fact. I don't work for Samsung, so I can't say with 100% certainty that there aren't some non-Samsung phones that can use Samsung Pay.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
See, and that's the reason why I kinda don't like it.

With Android Pay, just unlock your phone and tap. Samsung's process has more swipes/taps to use it.

Lazy excuse? Sure.

What I DO like about Samsung Pay, however, is that I can have membership cards (library, YMCA, etc).

I dunno. Both have their pros and cons. It's hard to say one is ultimately better than the other.

You dont have to unlock your phone with Samsung Pay. Just swipe up from the bottom, authenticate with your fingerprint and boom, you're done.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
In the words of Stone Cold, Gimme me a HELL YEAH!! Samsung Pay is better than Android Pay in just about every way.