Note 8 on Verizon, callers voice cuts out

Boooya

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Maybe in the past month I have been having problems with call quality. During a call the person on the other end cuts out and then back in.
Wondering if it started happening after an update. Mostly I notice this when using bluetooth headset, but today it appeared to happen without headset.
Anyone else having an issue. Not sure if it is a Note 8 issue, Bluetooth issue or Verizon issue.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
re:

Go into settings and turn Advanced Calling OFF. I had the same problem both with my N8 and my wife's LG G6 on Verizon, until I turned off Advanced calling. I actually got this suggestion from a service representative at Verizon. It seems to be a problem only with some localities.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
re:

Go into settings and turn Advanced Calling OFF. I had the same problem both with my N8 and my wife's LG G6 on Verizon, until I turned off Advanced calling. I actually got this suggestion from a service representative at Verizon. It seems to be a problem only with some localities.

Thanks for the tip. I just turned it off. I'll see how it works.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

It seems to be a problem in certain markets. We're not experiencing that problem where I'm at (Oahu).

Boooya

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
re:

The problem is when I turn off HD calling I no longer can utilize my GPS data or any internet features when I'm on a phone call. Do you experience the same?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

The problem is when I turn off HD calling I no longer can utilize my GPS data or any internet features when I'm on a phone call. Do you experience the same?
No I don't experience that problem. That is odd. Are you in an area that doesn't have good coverage?

The GPS is completely separate from the LTE radios, so I don't know how HD calling can affect it.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

Oddly enough my Note 8 started doing it about 2 months ago. Just as the cold weather started. I figured out it was the space heater that I keep on during the day. If I get up and walk in the other room, no problem. It's that good old electro magnetic energy.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

Oddly enough my Note 8 started doing it about 2 months ago. Just as the cold weather started. I figured out it was the space heater that I keep on during the day. If I get up and walk in the other room, no problem. It's that good old electro magnetic energy.
That's odd that a space heater would cause that. It's just an electrical current heating a coil. There shouldn't be that much of an electromagnetic field. Microwave ovens generate more electromagnetic interference than a space heater.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

That's odd that a space heater would cause that. It's just an electrical current heating a coil. There shouldn't be that much of an electromagnetic field. Microwave ovens generate more electromagnetic interference than a space heater.
It happens around the microwave too. My husband didn't believe me until he saw it for himself. Nothing else could be causing it, nothing else has changed. It even causes crackling on the PS4 controller speaker when I'm gaming. Doesn't when it's (heater) off, does it when it's on. Couldn't be anything else. My father was an electrician so I'm not totally naive about electro magnetic energy.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

It happens around the microwave too. My husband didn't believe me until he saw it for himself. Nothing else could be causing it, nothing else has changed. It even causes crackling on the PS4 controller speaker when I'm gaming. Doesn't when it's (heater) off, does it when it's on. Couldn't be anything else. My father was an electrician so I'm not totally naive about electro magnetic energy.
Sounds like there is a shielding problem with your microwave. The heater interfering is new to me. This is the first time I've heard of that happening. I never would have thought an electrical space heater would generate that much interference, if at all. I'm no novice either.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

Sounds like there is a shielding problem with your microwave. The heater interfering is new to me. This is the first time I've heard of that happening. I never would have thought an electrical space heater would generate that much interference, if at all. I'm no novice either.
I have 2 microwaves, they both do it. Different models. It breaks up my Bluetooth earbuds too. And the heater is brand new.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

I have 2 microwaves, they both do it. Different models. It breaks up my Bluetooth earbuds too.
Honestly, I've never used my phone near my microwave while it's running, so I wouldn't know if it was interfering. As for other BT devices, it's around 20ft from the closest BT device.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

No I don't experience that problem. That is odd. Are you in an area that doesn't have good coverage?

The GPS is completely separate from the LTE radios, so I don't know how HD calling can affect it.
GPS should work but maps and such usually uses data to load stuff up. If you have maps offline then you're okay but if he doesn't then his maps from say Google Maps won't work.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

GPS should work but maps and such usually uses data to load stuff up. If you have maps offline then you're okay but if he doesn't then his maps from say Google Maps won't work.

Yes. But disabling HD calling should not affect data either. HD calling USES LTE or WiFi data. He's either got a problem with the LTE radios or he's in an area with poor LTE coverage. If it's the latter, then HD calling will be spotty, and if it's reverting to 3G, Verizon's 3G CDMA network cannot do both voice and data simultaneously.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Yes. But disabling HD calling should not affect data either. HD calling USES LTE or WiFi data. He's either got a problem with the LTE radios or he's in an area with poor LTE coverage. If it's the latter, then HD calling will be spotty, and if it's reverting to 3G, Verizon's 3G CDMA network cannot do both voice and data simultaneously.

With Verizon if you turn off HD Voice (a.k.a "Advanced Calling") that is HD voice + VoLTE. It isn't one or the other.. So if he is disabling that like he said then he won't be able to use data+voice. It will revert to the CDMA network when a call is made and therefore have the restriction you talked about.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re:

With Verizon if you turn off HD Voice (a.k.a "Advanced Calling") that is HD voice + VoLTE. It isn't one or the other.. So if he is disabling that like he said then he won't be able to use data+voice. It will revert to the CDMA network when a call is made and therefore have the restriction you talked about.

That's not true. I'm on Verizon and as long as you have LTE, you can do voice+data without HD Calling enabled. I know this because, I've had phones that were not HD Voice capable (i.e. Note II and the Lumia 928) that used CDMA for voice and LTE for data. HD calling uses LTE via VoLTE (which is a form of VoIP), but disabling it does NOT disable the voice+data capability. Disabling HD calling allows you to use the Verizon's 3G CDMA for voice while simultaneously using LTE.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

That's not true. I'm on Verizon and as long as you have LTE, you can do voice+data without HD Calling enabled. I know this because, I've had phones that were not HD Voice capable (i.e. Note II and the Lumia 928) that used CDMA for voice and LTE for data. HD calling uses LTE via VoLTE (which is a form of VoIP), but disabling it does NOT disable the voice+data capability. Disabling HD calling allows you to use the Verizon's 3G CDMA for voice while simultaneously using LTE.
On older phones they had dual radios for cdma which allowed voice and data.

With newer phones you have to use VoLTE in order to get voice and data on Verizon. If you don't it'll use cdma which only has one radio.

So I'm curious.. how does one disable just HD calling without disabling VoLTE since Verizon packages it as advanced calling? On a newer phone.. not a Note 2 since that isn't really relevant nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress