Saki doesn't see a big need to upgrade from the Note 8.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If you can afford to upgrade phones every year and a techy then sure why not.

What Saki and many people are saying... And often just giving their opinion more to general consumers... If you spent almost $1000 for your Note 8, is it really worth spending the money for the Note 9 or just enjoy what you have and you can hold off and ask that question when the S10 or Note 10 comes out.

The note 9 will be better than the note 8, not worse.
So why not change to it.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Because it's not much better.

That's pretty subjective. But, yes, we are in the era of very incremental increases anyway. Which suits the nominal 2 year upgrade cycle.

Seems first to market will probably sway me, with the note coming before the new pixel, Mate 20 Pro et al.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not really subjective.

The 7 doesn't count and the technology increase from the 5 is massive. Not that I would have bought a phone that did not have expandable storage.

Therefore the upgrade from 4 or 5 to 8 saw massive leaps in processor, memory, android version, materials technology, general design improvements.

The 9 has a marginally faster processor, a very marginally larger screen without increasing resolution, a slightly higher energy density on the battery and, the only tempting selling point, the dual aperture main camera.

Would you buy a new PC every time the vendor released a new version with an 8th gen over 7th gen core processor and a slightly faster memory bus speed?

Oh, and your point. 2 year upgrade cycle. The 8 will only be a year old when the 9 is released.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

The 7 doesn't count and the technology increase from the 5 is massive. Not that I would have bought a phone that did not have expandable storage.

Therefore the upgrade from 4 or 5 to 8 saw massive leaps in processor, memory, android version, materials technology, general design improvements.

The 9 has a marginally faster processor, a very marginally larger screen without increasing resolution, a slightly higher energy density on the battery and, the only tempting selling point, the dual aperture main camera.

Would you buy a new PC every time the vendor released a new version with an 8th gen over 7th gen core processor and a slightly faster memory bus speed?

True.
With just the note. But not with any device I could ( and usually do ) buy.
And in my pc gaming days ( c1995 to 2013 - no time now ) , I would have upgraded at pretty much every new CPU / GPU out.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Given that this thread is specifically about an online puindit's decision that there is not enough improvement on the 9 from 8 in the Note range then I have to agree with the pundit. That upgrade does not provide bang for the buck to upgrade from the 8 to the 9 at significant cost.

If it is about should you buy the 8 or 9 when upgrading from an older phone, 5 or below, I would tend to the 9 if I could wait for a couple of months for the price to drop by £100 on Amazon vendors. or just get the massively satisfactory and then much cheaper 8.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
In his latest video regarding the Note 8 vs Note 9 he doesn't see the need to upgrade to the Note 9 if you're happy with your Note 8.

He states the Note 10 will be the one with the big upgrades.

Me, I will still be getting Note 9!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrtlJv-R7TU

I'd take a note 8 w upgraded camera bugger battery and stereo speakers in a heartbeat. Bring on the note 9. They'd essentially be fixing everything I wasn't happy with on the note 8.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Oh, and your point. 2 year upgrade cycle. The 8 will only be a year old when the 9 is released.
It is definitely subjective based on the relative needs of each individual considering the risk vs reward.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely subjective based on the relative needs of each individual considering the risk vs reward.

Sorry. I was not including compulsive purchasing disorders or those with so much money that buying a new £1000 phone can be absorbed in a week's finances.

I was thinking that discussions on whether there is a need to upgrade is limited to those that actually have to consider the question sensibally based on the options upgraded and their worth. I was also limiting my discussions to the points made by the OP.

Objectively the Note 9 does not offer significant improvement to justify a full upgrade from the Note 8, after a year, for the vast majority of phone users.
There is nothing to justify a further £1000.

For those upgrading to the Note from elsewhere it might be worth paying the little extra for the additional features. This thread is purely about the need to go Note 8-9 though.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Sorry. I was not including compulsive purchasing disorders or those with so much money that buying a new £1000 phone can be absorbed in a week's finances.

I was thinking that discussions on whether there is a need to upgrade is limited to those that actually have to consider the question sensibally based on the options upgraded and their worth. I was also limiting my discussions to the points made by the OP.

Objectively the Note 9 does not offer significant improvement to justify a full upgrade from the Note 8, after a year, for the vast majority of phone users.

For those upgrading to the Note from elsewhere it might be worth paying the little extra for the additional features. This thread is purely about the need to go Note 8-9 though.
If we are talking another €1200 I agree. But with all the deals and trade in or resale, it's really 20% of that.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

You are ignoring the fact that the Note 8 still has value. It won't be 1000 to go from the Note 8 to the Note 9. With trade in and deals, I went from S7 Edge to Note 8 for about half that.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
S8 to S9 will definitely be worth it for those into the camera. Not only does it have the dual camera that the Note 8 does but the main camera is dual apperture.

The Note 9 does also have the dual apperture upgrade but it's still not enough oomph for me.
I am a moderate user and have tuned my phone to easily get a day's heavy usage by my standards and 2 on marginally lighter usage days.

The dual aperture thing is just marketing junk. :p.

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Ideally imo, the Note 8 is a bit too heavy and its length is too long but width is great.
I think the iPhoneX may have the optimal dimensions & weight.