08-18-2018 12:37 PM
44 12
tools
    Given that this thread is specifically about an online puindit's decision that there is not enough improvement on the 9 from 8 in the Note range then I have to agree with the pundit. That upgrade does not provide bang for the buck to upgrade from the 8 to the 9 at significant cost.

If it is about should you buy the 8 or 9 when upgrading from an older phone, 5 or below, I would tend to the 9 if I could wait for a couple of months for the price to drop by £100 on Amazon vendors. or just get the massively satisfactory and then much cheaper 8.
    mgbosshogg likes this.
    07-22-2018 04:43 PM
    In his latest video regarding the Note 8 vs Note 9 he doesn't see the need to upgrade to the Note 9 if you're happy with your Note 8.

He states the Note 10 will be the one with the big upgrades.

Me, I will still be getting Note 9!

I'd take a note 8 w upgraded camera bugger battery and stereo speakers in a heartbeat. Bring on the note 9. They'd essentially be fixing everything I wasn't happy with on the note 8.
    07-22-2018 05:07 PM
    It's not really subjective.

The 7 doesn't count and the technology increase from the 5 is massive. Not that I would have bought a phone that did not have expandable storage.

Therefore the upgrade from 4 or 5 to 8 saw massive leaps in processor, memory, android version, materials technology, general design improvements.

The 9 has a marginally faster processor, a very marginally larger screen without increasing resolution, a slightly higher energy density on the battery and, the only tempting selling point, the dual aperture main camera.

Would you buy a new PC every time the vendor released a new version with an 8th gen over 7th gen core processor and a slightly faster memory bus speed?

Oh, and your point. 2 year upgrade cycle. The 8 will only be a year old when the 9 is released.
    It is definitely subjective based on the relative needs of each individual considering the risk vs reward.
    mgbosshogg likes this.
    07-22-2018 05:13 PM
    It is definitely subjective based on the relative needs of each individual considering the risk vs reward.
    Sorry. I was not including compulsive purchasing disorders or those with so much money that buying a new £1000 phone can be absorbed in a week's finances.

I was thinking that discussions on whether there is a need to upgrade is limited to those that actually have to consider the question sensibally based on the options upgraded and their worth. I was also limiting my discussions to the points made by the OP.

Objectively the Note 9 does not offer significant improvement to justify a full upgrade from the Note 8, after a year, for the vast majority of phone users.
    There is nothing to justify a further £1000.

For those upgrading to the Note from elsewhere it might be worth paying the little extra for the additional features. This thread is purely about the need to go Note 8-9 though.
    07-24-2018 05:01 PM
    Sorry. I was not including compulsive purchasing disorders or those with so much money that buying a new £1000 phone can be absorbed in a week's finances.

I was thinking that discussions on whether there is a need to upgrade is limited to those that actually have to consider the question sensibally based on the options upgraded and their worth. I was also limiting my discussions to the points made by the OP.

Objectively the Note 9 does not offer significant improvement to justify a full upgrade from the Note 8, after a year, for the vast majority of phone users.

For those upgrading to the Note from elsewhere it might be worth paying the little extra for the additional features. This thread is purely about the need to go Note 8-9 though.
    If we are talking another €1200 I agree. But with all the deals and trade in or resale, it's really 20% of that.
    07-24-2018 05:03 PM

You are ignoring the fact that the Note 8 still has value. It won't be 1000 to go from the Note 8 to the Note 9. With trade in and deals, I went from S7 Edge to Note 8 for about half that.
    07-24-2018 05:28 PM
    S8 to S9 will definitely be worth it for those into the camera. Not only does it have the dual camera that the Note 8 does but the main camera is dual apperture.

The Note 9 does also have the dual apperture upgrade but it's still not enough oomph for me.
    I am a moderate user and have tuned my phone to easily get a day's heavy usage by my standards and 2 on marginally lighter usage days.
    The dual aperture thing is just marketing junk. :-p.
    07-24-2018 05:40 PM
    Well Clove have the Note 8 at £505 now so i'll be getting one of those.
    djrakowski likes this.
    07-27-2018 08:56 AM
    Anyone else concerned about the increase in weight...?
    07-31-2018 01:04 PM
    No
    07-31-2018 04:16 PM
    Nope, I'd be fine it was heavier and thicker, these phones are too dainty as it is, I hate the feel of them naked
    07-31-2018 04:45 PM
    Nope, I'd rather have the extra heft. I actually hope it's a tad thicker too. I don't use cases often and if I do it's a super thin case with a skin mainly to protect from scratches.
    08-01-2018 09:17 AM
    Ideally imo, the Note 8 is a bit too heavy and its length is too long but width is great.
    I think the iPhoneX may have the optimal dimensions & weight.
    08-01-2018 10:16 AM
    Ideally imo, the Note 8 is a bit too heavy and its length is too long but width is great.
    I think the iPhoneX may have the optimal dimensions & weight.
    As long as it has a notch, it never will IMO.
    08-02-2018 06:14 AM
    Bet he still gets one though.
    08-02-2018 07:12 AM
    Bet he still gets one though.
    ?
    08-02-2018 10:04 AM
    I typically upgrade on a 2 yr schedule. If the N7 hadn't pooped the bed, I would be getting the N9. But as it is, I am saving my pennies and waiting on the N10.
    I am going to purchase outright, since I got screwed over BIG time by ATT.
    08-12-2018 11:17 AM
    agreed. i usually skip every other model. and i expect note10 would be that much better and 5G enable.
    08-15-2018 11:53 AM
    6 months old CPU and GPU.
    small upgrade for a high price tag.
    Only 2 year's of Major update's,
    support Quick Charge 2.0 from 4 years ago.
    just wait for Note 10, it will be a major upgrade,
    08-18-2018 12:37 PM
44 12