Saki doesn't see a big need to upgrade from the Note 8.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, what else is new? I mean, it's the same as S8 vs S9, we really weren't expecting anything new and exciting from the new Note, not even the in-display FPS. At best the new feature would be the BT-enabled S-Pen, and even that sounds 'meh' to most. But like a friend said: Incremental improvements on a best-in-class phone aren't a bad thing.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
He didn't really big up the 4000 MA battery that much which I think for some users will be a big deal, from 3300 to 4000 is a good leap in my view.
I'm still on the fence on this one, I like my Note 8 but I did purchase through the Samsung upgrade program so I will have the option, but sadly have to return the Note 8 if I went ahead.

Reasons for me to upgrade so far would be ....
Better battery
Better camera (albeit not a great deal)
Faster chip
Dual speakers
Latest flagship.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Agree that this isn't new news. Just one more opinion. I think most people feel this way. Pricing will play a huge role in upgrading to the Note9. This is by no means a must have if you already own a Note8 or S9+.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
He didn't really big up the 4000 MA battery that much which I think for some users will be a big deal, from 3300 to 4000 is a good leap in my view.
I'm still on the fence on this one, I like my Note 8 but I did purchase through the Samsung upgrade program so I will have the option, but sadly have to return the Note 8 if I went ahead.

Better battery
Faster chip
Dual speakers
Latest flagship.

Regarding the 4000mah battery, if the spen has its own battery then that will eat up some of that 4000mah in order to charge up that battery while it's in the phone. It won't be like you had a 4000mah in an s9 plus without that spen.

I see the upgrade from the s8 plus to the s9 plus or Note 8 a big upgrade due to the dual camera and most important the 6gb ram.

You also get stereo speakers with Note 9. Now if the Note 9 didn't have stereo speakers then I'd be saying upgrading might be a waste of money then simply for a blue tooth spen and slightly newer processor.

The BT spen sounds like a big gimmick to me.

I thought the Tab s4 has the finger print built into the screen? Odd they put it on there but note the s9 plus or the Note 9 coming out at the same time.

I have a hunch that maybe they're not 100 percent sure how well it will really work so they figure to put it on the tab s4. That way if it has issues at least it doesn't mess up the Note 9, one of their flagships which would be a big mess.

You might recall the Note 4 and S5 how it was the first samsung's to have the finger print sensor and that thing was a big pain to use. I ended up just using pin code to log in. I know if the first year of under the screen sensor was a pain and the arse to use I'd be really mad after spending nearly a grand on the Note 9 and not being able to use finger print to unlock.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Better battery
Faster chip
Dual speakers
Latest flagship.
That's plenty worth it!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the 4000mah battery, if the spen has its own battery then that will eat up some of that 4000mah in order to charge up that battery while it's in the phone. It won't be like you had a 4000mah in an s9 plus without that spen.

I see the upgrade from the s8 plus to the s9 plus or Note 8 a big upgrade due to the dual camera and most important the 6gb ram.

You also get stereo speakers with Note 9. Now if the Note 9 didn't have stereo speakers then I'd be saying upgrading might be a waste of money then simply for a blue tooth spen and slightly newer processor.

The BT spen sounds like a big gimmick to me.

I thought the Tab s4 has the finger print built into the screen? Odd they put it on there but note the s9 plus or the Note 9 coming out at the same time.

I have a hunch that maybe they're not 100 percent sure how well it will really work so they figure to put it on the tab s4. That way if it has issues at least it doesn't mess up the Note 9, one of their flagships which would be a big mess.

You might recall the Note 4 and S5 how it was the first samsung's to have the finger print sensor and that thing was a big pain to use. I ended up just using pin code to log in. I know if the first year of under the screen sensor was a pain and the arse to use I'd be really mad after spending nearly a grand on the Note 9 and not being able to use finger print to unlock.
I am betting the s pen charging will use very little of the battery charges from the phone. Not even a percent. It charges in 45 seconds I read. It's a very minimal battery.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I am betting the s pen charging will use very little of the battery charges from the phone. Not even a percent. It charges in 45 seconds I read. It's a very minimal battery.

Either way I'm not totally concerned about battery life. I charge overnight when I sleep and even 3300mah gets me thru the day easily. Even if we have a power outage because of a hurricane I got plenty of power banks and other stuff to charge up with for at least a week. Now if a device has crappy battery life like the S6 did then I'd have an issue lol.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
S8 to S9 will definitely be worth it for those into the camera. Not only does it have the dual camera that the Note 8 does but the main camera is dual apperture.

The Note 9 does also have the dual apperture upgrade but it's still not enough oomph for me.
I am a moderate user and have tuned my phone to easily get a day's heavy usage by my standards and 2 on marginally lighter usage days.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No, he's saying IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A NOTE 8 that he feels the Note 9 updates will not be that great to warrant an upgrade. That first part makes a big difference and IMO it's not a bad argument.

Guy who doesn't have a Note 9 but will be getting a Note 9 says that people who don't have a Note 9 shouldn't get one. Ok.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Good for Saki. He won't be updating [of course he will - he needs the content:confused:].
[why would anyone care of Saki upgrades or not?]

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Good for Saki. He won't be updating [of course he will - he needs the content:confused:].
[why would anyone care of Saki upgrades or not?]

I never heard of the guy before this, and after like 15 seconds of the video I have to admit I don't want to know (or care) about his opinion on anything at all, ever. Hehe. But then again, same thing happened to me when I watched a MKBHD video and he seems to be respected elsewhere (just not in my book, can't stand the guy).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't watch the video. But, isn't here there guy who drives around in his car with gloves on and makes videos? I agree that he is probably very polarizing. I think he likes to have a strong opinion about things to get discussions going.
I have watched some videos of him comparing smartphone cameras. Those aren't bad. Of course, you have to look at his face a lot in those.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So, what else is new? I mean, it's the same as S8 vs S9, we really weren't expecting anything new and exciting from the new Note, not even the in-display FPS. At best the new feature would be the BT-enabled S-Pen, and even that sounds 'meh' to most. But like a friend said: Incremental improvements on a best-in-class phone aren't a bad thing.

I couldn't agree with you more. And that's a pretty good quote!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a Saki fan either, his videos are usually dragged out a bit and more opinion than news plus he is kinda hard listening to, usually what's in his videos most people would have read on the web 2-3 days beforehand

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a Saki fan either, his videos are usually dragged out a bit and more opinion than news plus he is kinda hard listening to, usually what's in his videos most people would have read on the web 2-3 days beforehand
I think most YouTube blogs are like this. Some are later than others to regurgitate the daily news. It's basically someone else reading the news you already know, with a little opinion mixed in. It's very seldom you watch something and go "Wow. I didn't know that." it comes down to their personality, basically, on whether it's enjoyable to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87