all about SwiftKey keyboard

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I just switched from the originally stock samsung keyboard to SwiftKey, since folks talked highly of the predictive algorithm.
1. Does the free version without setting up an account provide the great predictive algorithm Or does one have to set up an account and/or allow it access to other accounts like facebook, gmail etc and/or have to pay money ??
2. It would be nice to customized the secondary keyboard (key on lowest left) to have my favorite symbols like semicolon and carrot; is there anyway to do that without paying money ?? ((i know you can access those and other symbols on the primary keyboard with a long hold down, but nice to have secondary way))
The samsung stock keyboard was fine including good prediction, but I thought I would experiment with this one. Predictions are not great with Swift so far but it has only been a couple days so too early to compare.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Swiftkey is entirely free now. You only pay for the themes. Prediction still works even without having an account. The only problem with that is your dictionary doesn't sync. It's able to transfer phones through the account.
The access to the other accounts just allows it to check your mail and posts on your most used words.

Prediction on Swiftkey is a learning code on your own personal typing style. Meaning it gets more accurate FOR YOU the longer you use it.

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
It would be nice to customized the secondary keyboard (key on lowest left) to have my favorite symbols like semicolon and carrot; is there anyway to do that without paying money ??
((i know you can access those and other symbols on the primary keyboard with a long hold down, but nice to have secondary way))

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It would be nice to customized the secondary keyboard (key on lowest left) to have my favorite symbols like semicolon and carrot; is there anyway to do that without paying money ??
((i know you can access those and other symbols on the primary keyboard with a long hold down, but nice to have secondary way))

Even if you pay money, you can't do that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Larger keys, nicer themes. I don't know if the prediction is any better, since I haven't used anything but Swiftkey in years, but it's pretty good.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Compare pro/cons of SwiftKey versus Gboard?
Honestly, you should just try them both and see what works best for you. I think the predictive text is slightly better on Swiftkey, but the access to Google from within the keyboard with Gboard is something I really miss with Swiftkey. I can customize each keyboard to look and feel the way I like it so that's a draw for me.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I would have to argue the predictive text. For me it's hit or miss.

It sometimes takes two or three minutes to type a simple message because it puts in words that are not even close to what I was typing.

The upshot is that it forces me to proofread anything I type.

z0ove

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
I would have to argue the predictive text. For me it's hit or miss.

It sometimes takes two or three minutes to type a simple message because it puts in words that are not even close to what I was typing.

The upshot is that it forces me to proofread anything I type.
Try tunring off auto-complete option

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I use Microsoft Launcher and SwiftKey seems to integrate better with it. My only issue was the auto - correct. Samsung and GBoard have punctuation marks on the main keyboard. Providing punctuation keys on the main keyboard would be nice. Not every sentence ends on a period.

The part that I don't understand is that Microsoft had an excellent keyboard on its Windows Phones. It was called Word Flow and was really good...better than SwiftKey or Swype. The world texting record was set using it.

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Samsung and GBoard have punctuation marks on the main keyboard. Providing punctuation keys on the main keyboard would be nice. Not every sentence ends on a period.

you can get punctuation on primary keyboard with a long hold on the keys, using Swiftkey, though it seems this method is a little annoying with just having a designated key for a comma, etc

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Samsung and GBoard have punctuation marks on the main keyboard. Providing punctuation keys on the main keyboard would be nice. Not every sentence ends on a period.

Swiftkey has more punctuations on the main keyboard than the Samsung default one. Just long press on any key. Some themes however does not have an indicator which keys have which punctuations, but they're there.