Finally updated to Pie last night and now Messages app not working properly

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I finally updated to Pie last night having had the software update downloaded for a few days.
But now the Samsung Messages App is not working.
If I try to send a text, it sits there with a rolling circle trying to send and then a few minutes later it comes back saying it has failed to send. However I know it has sent and instantly, as I am sending messages to myself to test this.
I also had a full text conversation with my son where it looks like all the messages failed to send, but he replied to every single on of them.
I have tried to do the normal things like restart my phone, clear the cache, clear the data, force stop.
Interestingly I downloaded the Google messages app, and it was doing exactly the same thing - so I don't think it is something wrong with either app itself.
The message centre number looks correct (having googled it from Virgin).
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.
I really don't want to do a full factory reset, I've had the phone for close to 2 years, and there are a huge amount of things on it that I would lose if I did that.
Anything else I should be trying, or anyone else had the same issue and managed to fix it?
TIA

Helen White1

Apr 21, 2019
Visit site
Sorry, realised I probably hadn't given enough information.
It is a Galaxy Note 8 with a Virgin sim card.
Please just ask if there is anything else you need to know.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't help you with the problem - it could be something Samsung did with the update, it could be something Virgin is handling wrong and it could be Sprint (Virgin is your Mobile Virtual Network Operator, Sprint is your carrier - you're on Sprint towers). You could try calling Virgin tech support - some MVNOs have very good tech support, others have people who know nothing about phones working in a department called Tech Support (and I've never had to deal with Virgin, so I don't know where they fall on that spectrum). Sprint? They fall on the "we sell phones and connections, we don't handle problems" end.

But I'll move this to the Note 8 forum for you, so more people with Note 8s will see it.