Reliability of Fingerprint Sensor on recent Samsung phones

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Note 9. I am coming from a Pixel 2 XL, which has a pretty great FPS, at least IMO.

Since I haven't used a Samsung phone in a few years, I have 2 questions:

- How reliable is the FPS? Does it seem to work every time, or most times in your experience? I guess I am asking more specifically about the phones with similar FPS placement as the Note 9 (under the camera).

- I use the FPS to unlock many of my applications - instead of having to login via user name / passcode. Particularly for credit card apps / banking, but also things like Last Pass and Authy. Can you use the FPS unlock for most all applications that include the feature? I have used the Pixel XL and Pixel 2 XL for 2 years so I am not aware if lots of apps have restrictions based on hardware, etc. I guess I am just asking if there are any apps that offer FPS unlock that you have found won't work or aren't offered on a Note 8, S9, S9 plus.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I am really looking forward to the Note 9.

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I've never had an issue with the Note 8's FPS. It's worked with everything I tried it on. I'm sure the 9 will be fine in that respect.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Can you use the FPS unlock for most all applications that include the feature?

Yes, Samsung has their own manager, Samsung Pass, which allows you to tie the biometric info (FPS, Iris, Face recognition, et al) to log in info for various apps and sites. I use it mostly with the True Key password manager, but it works with most apps I have tried.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the reliability of the fingerprint sensor: it works the first time, every time on my wife's GS9+. I've only had problems when my fingers are wet - in that case, it's a bit less reliable than Touch ID on the iPhone 8 Plus.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Can you use the FPS unlock for most all applications that include the feature?

Yes, Samsung has their own manager, Samsung Pass, which allows you to tie the biometric info (FPS, Iris, Face recognition, et al) to log in info for various apps and sites. I use it mostly with the True Key password manager, but it works with most apps I have tried.

Hmm. So you need another app? None of the sites I am referencing require anything other than the FPS itself to login. This is not the case with Samsung phones? They require a 3rd party app to authenticate?

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
No you are misunderstanding. The FPS is part of the built in Samsung pass (which is for FPS, Iris, and face recognition) its basically just the name of the program that operates those things

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No you are misunderstanding. The FPS is part of the built in Samsung pass (which is for FPS, Iris, and face recognition) its basically just the name of the program that operates those things

Ok thanks. So normal fingerprint authentication then for apps. Ok thanks.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Fps works flawlessly for the majority of the time. However it doesn't work well after washing your hands and for me I'm a mechanic so my fingerprints get damaged frequently and I have to occasionally redo them. I use fingerprints for most of my apps that require passwords.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez