Love Bixby!

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Didn't downgrade.
Got rid of Bixby, got rid of Samsung Pay.
And apps I couldn't delete.
Bixby popping up seems to make a phone bounce off the wall.
I hate Bixby.
Use o.k. Google and Google assistant.
Tried many times to talk to Samsung about getting rid of Bixby button.
They think it's the best thing going for them.
Told Samsung I was not buying a new phone just because of Bixby.

Answer me this, who owns the phone when you buy it. Samsung, carrier, or you.
If you own it,why can't you delete apps.
Why can't you get rid of Bixby.

I have more freedom with the pixel 3 XL.
Yea you downgraded

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it but I'm considering the note 9. However I rarely use Google assistant now. The only time I'm really in a place where I can yell at my phone to do stuff is in the car. There's generally to much noise and chaos going on at home and it would be way to disruptive at work with our stupid open office and I'm not going to be that guy when I can just pick my phone up.

I can see maybe if I was on the road in a car a lot or had my own office where I could keep the door mostly shut I might use it more but at this time in my life I have very little use for virtual assistants and I'm hesitant to invest money into a device that in a way forces me to have to get it out of my way. If nothing else at least with Google Assistant you can turn it off.

All that said it's all about choice and options. If you love it and it works for you that's great. For some of us, myself included I don't have a lot of need or use for it.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Google Assistant can do what you mentioned above, or even better, for example:

When I ask Google Assistant to call my girlfriend, it will ask who is my girlfriend and it will remember the response and save the info at my girlfriend contact on my phone. So next time when i say call my grilfriend, Google Assistant will call the contact number directly.

I can ask Google Assistant to play a specific playlist in my Spotify.

I can ask Google Assistant what is the song I am listening to.

I can ask Google Assistant to send whatsapp message to any whatsapp contacts.

Can Bixby do any of the above? I give up on Bixby and never bother to try it further.
Actually yes, bixby can do those things.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
LOL, one thing that kills me. I will say "What time is sunset today" And it will answer it needs the airline carrier and flight number, but if I say "What time does the sun set today" it gets it right....wierd. No way to correct.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Actually yes, bixby can do those things.
Actually bixby doesn't remember who contacts are. If I say call my son bixby will tell me there is no contact by that name. I say hey Google call my son, it dials my son with out question.

I even have my son's contact set up in my Samsung account as my son under relationship. Yet bixby can't accomplished this very simple task Google can.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used it but I'm considering the note 9. However I rarely use Google assistant now. The only time I'm really in a place where I can yell at my phone to do stuff is in the car. There's generally to much noise and chaos going on at home and it would be way to disruptive at work with our stupid open office and I'm not going to be that guy when I can just pick my phone up.

I can see maybe if I was on the road in a car a lot or had my own office where I could keep the door mostly shut I might use it more but at this time in my life I have very little use for virtual assistants and I'm hesitant to invest money into a device that in a way forces me to have to get it out of my way. If nothing else at least with Google Assistant you can turn it off.

All that said it's all about choice and options. If you love it and it works for you that's great. For some of us, myself included I don't have a lot of need or use for it.

Just had to say you are not alone in your feelings about an open office. I'm not sure if Bixby supports "type to" like you can with Google Assistant. That I think would be useful in the open environments.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just had to say you are not alone in your feelings about an open office. I'm not sure if Bixby supports "type to" like you can with Google Assistant. That I think would be useful in the open environments.
Yeah that would be helpful.

Whoever thought open offices were a good idea should be forced to sit in the middle of one and try to be productive for a year.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes Bixby has "type to". Hit the keyboard icon at the bottom left in Bixby Voice.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Attached below is where you can find the type option. Very handy. Screenshot_20181026-121249_Bixby%20Voice.jpeg

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Left Samsung because of Bixby.

Heard on note 9 you can program the Bixby button so you have to press it twice.

same here, I despise that stupid thing and the fact that you can't remap the button to another app unless you use 3rd party apps which often stop working after a few updates to either the OS or Bixby.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Had mine set up to push button twice, and with a nice wallet case its now difficult to access it especially by accident. I sure some day we will be able to remap without third party app. If not the buttons do pop off. NO more bixby!

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Had mine set up to push button twice, and with a nice wallet case its now difficult to access it especially by accident. I sure some day we will be able to remap without third party app. If not the buttons do pop off. NO more bixby!
Lol, if I end up going with a Note 9 that had occurred to me that I could just pop the button out or glue it.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

The button on the inside of your phone case.
Cut it off so when you hit the button on your case
Nothing happens.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Ya its easy to pop off with a knife and easily pops back on and hitting it twice with the leather case on has not yet happened to me. Just the thought of it being there irks me and now I never see it. Less OCD and less stress!

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
The Bixby button, if you don't want Bixby, is great. Bxactions App, 3rd party or not, gives a tactile physical button to do with most any shortcut or macro you want. If you don't even want the extra physical button to trigger anything, turn off Bixby. Pinch the screen and toggle it off. Much ado about nothing.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The Bixby button, if you don't want Bixby, is great. Bxactions App, 3rd party or not, gives a tactile physical button to do with most any shortcut or macro you want. If you don't even want the extra physical button to trigger anything, turn off Bixby. Pinch the screen and toggle it off. Much ado about nothing.

How about I don't want to turn Bixby off.
I don't want Bixby or the Bixby button on the phone.
Samsung should sell 2 phones. One without the Bixby Button and one with.
Charge more for the version with Bixby .

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
How about I don't want to turn Bixby off.
I don't want Bixby or the Bixby button on the phone.
Samsung should sell 2 phones. One without the Bixby Button and one with.
Charge more for the version with Bixby .
How about not buying the phone at all Seriously. The Bixby button and Bixby software subject is so overblown. It's only a button that looks like the other 3 buttons on the phone. Use it or don't use it. Accidentally touching the Bixby button is not Samsung's fault. I'm one who's not afraid to say I use Bixby everyday. I took the time to learn how it works and it's use. The first thing I learned is that it's not designed to replace GA. It's not that type of assistant. However, it can do what GA and Siri does. I learned that by going into the tutorial section. But use it or not it's your choice. Samsung doesn't have to allow us to remap the button. We can't remap the volumn or power buttons. On my suv I can't move or remap my headlight, cruise control, heater etc buttons. The maker put the buttons on it where they wanted to. It was up to me to buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez