12-09-2018 07:58 PM
50 12
tools
    The last update took away one of my fav features of Textra...custom icon notification colors. The Dev says it was mandated by Google or something. So after MANY years as a paid Textra user I had to delete it and go back to Handcent which still allows the custom feature. I'm shattered.
    11-19-2018 02:01 PM
    If Textra's explanation is correct, Handcent won't be long behind on the same change.
    11-19-2018 02:10 PM
    If Textra's explanation is correct, Handcent won't be long behind on the same change.
    It makes the AOD worthless if you can't distinguish who texted you among all white icons.
    11-19-2018 02:15 PM
    Yep, I see those Dev comments.

Glad I don't ever auto update anything... I'll never again take another Textra update I guess.

SOOOOOOOOO glad that I never paid for it, lol.
    11-19-2018 03:12 PM
    After switching to the Note 9, I realized that the Textra icon on the recents panel is white. I emailed the Dev, but he replied, "that's how it is and cannot be changed".
    The Textra notification icon, on the AOD and in the notification panel is still the blue that I selected.
    I am using a VZW Note 9 and Textra version 3.50
    11-19-2018 03:25 PM
    After switching to the Note 9, I realized that the Textra icon on the recents panel is white. I emailed the Dev, but he replied, "that's how it is and cannot be changed".
    The Textra notification icon, on the AOD and in the notification panel is still the blue that I selected.
    I am using a VZW Note 9 and Textra version 3.50
    Textra was updated to V. 4. It will be gone if you update the app.
    11-19-2018 03:38 PM
    Roger that! THANKS!
    I'll add it to the list of apps not to update.
    I've been skipping updates for Waze, since they turned it into a cartoon and removed functionality.

ETA, just downloaded versions 3.4, 3.46 and 3.5, from apkpure incase inadvertantly updated.
    11-19-2018 03:49 PM
    I'm using the Pro version and it's at version 3.5 and I still have the ability to assign custom colored icons.
    11-19-2018 08:42 PM
    I'm using the Pro version and it's at version 3.5 and I still have the ability to assign custom colored icons.
    Look under "What's New," and you'll see what's going on.

Those changes will occur with version 4.0... the next update.

Textra has eliminated colored icons-screenshot_20181119-211851_textra.jpg
    11-19-2018 09:20 PM
    The last update took away one of my fav features of Textra...custom icon notification colors. The Dev says it was mandated by Google or something. So after MANY years as a paid Textra user I had to delete it and go back to Handcent which still allows the custom feature. I'm shattered.
    I didn't know though could do that with Textra. I thought you could only change the main icon be and not each contact. Well shoot now I want to do it and I can't anymore.lol
    11-19-2018 11:02 PM
    Well, how's Handcent? Haven't used that in about 5 years.
    11-19-2018 11:40 PM
    Yep, I see those Dev comments.

Glad I don't ever auto update anything... I'll never again take another Textra update I guess.

SOOOOOOOOO glad that I never paid for it, lol.
    Yeah, with the money you saved now you can order fries with your cheesburger!
    pizza_pablo likes this.
    11-20-2018 09:37 AM
    Well that makes me sad. I'm using Textra on my S7 Edge which will be upgraded to a N9 this Friday. Having to download it new is going to remove the feature I like most.
    11-20-2018 09:38 AM
    Yeah, with the money you saved now you can order fries with your cheesburger!
    Depends on the size of the fries, type, and place.

Large bacon chili cheese fries cost more than Textra, lol.
    11-20-2018 09:51 AM
    Well, how's Handcent? Haven't used that in about 5 years.
    Assuming Textra isn't lying so people who are angered by this change are not angry at them, (and as if now I'll side with them being truthful), ALL apps, including Handcent, will be forced to comply with this change.
    almath and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    11-20-2018 09:53 AM
    Well that makes me sad. I'm using Textra on my S7 Edge which will be upgraded to a N9 this Friday. Having to download it new is going to remove the feature I like most.
    Can't you just use Samsung smart switch and it just moves all the files from one phone to the other, no need to redownload. Just make sure right afterwards you dont have auto update active
    desnabc44 likes this.
    11-20-2018 10:14 AM
    The last update took away one of my fav features of Textra...custom icon notification colors. .. .
    I haven't used Textra since they took away the option to have square contact pics (I loathe circles, lol, been pissed at AC too!), but never knew the option was there. Only knew the status bar icon color could be changed.

I've been using Yaata for a couple of years now. Their options have options for their options! So far this is still one of them. I guess I'll update until that changes, and keep the apk from this or later versions that still allow it.

(Why the hell is Google trying to be Apple???)
    11-20-2018 10:21 AM
    Ok I'm a pro user on 3.50...i have auto updates OFF in my playstore app. Is this all I need to do to keep this version????
    11-20-2018 01:01 PM
    Ok I'm a pro user on 3.50...i have auto updates OFF in my playstore app. Is this all I need to do to keep this version????
    I THINK so.

I can't see any way for the update to be applied to your phone if you don't allow it.
    OJsakila and jimd1050 like this.
    11-20-2018 01:20 PM
    Assuming Textra isn't lying so people who are angered by this change are not angry at them, (and as if now I'll side with them being truthful), ALL apps, including Handcent, will be forced to comply with this change.
    Checkout my post above and fix it with a side loaded older version and then don't allow it to update.
    11-20-2018 02:23 PM
    Yes. I recommend downloading the version you like, from an apk page and keep it on your SD card, in case it gets inadvertently updated.
    11-20-2018 02:26 PM
    Doesn't really matter if you upgrade or not, once the Android update goes out that pulls support the color notification icons probably won't work.
    11-20-2018 02:27 PM
    Doesn't really matter if you upgrade or not, once the Android update goes out that pulls support the color notification icons probably won't work.
    I was wondering about that.

If true, and I'm not saying that you're wrong because what you're saying makes sense, why would Textra, (and maybe others?), pull that feature from their app(s) ?

So, given that Google is telling apps to pull that type of feature... I'm hoping no Android update itself will pull it.
    11-20-2018 03:32 PM
    Checkout my post above and fix it with a side loaded older version and then don't allow it to update.
    I don't have the new version, and as I mentioned above, I don't ever auto update apps... and won't update Textra again.

Sound advice though for folks who might have updated already, and didn't know you could do that.
    11-20-2018 03:34 PM
    Reading the comments from Textra in the app section of the store, it states there were two options for them to consider.

"Google gave all app developers a choice that from 1 Nov 2018, either keep the notification icon colors and NEVER issue another app update to users via Google Play. OR remove the colored notification icons. We choose the second option. It's part of a greater Google initiative to ensure all apps are compiled against a later version of Android."

Glad to see they won't just abandon the app, I will just have to figure out how to deal with the change or keep the older version and miss out on fixes and new features.

You can still use the LED Blink Color. I think I will turn off the LED for all except the most important texters and ensure the color I choose is something other than the default blue. Will have to test that out as I don't pay much attention to the LED light.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    11-20-2018 04:15 PM
50 12