Textra has eliminated colored icons

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The last update took away one of my fav features of Textra...custom icon notification colors. The Dev says it was mandated by Google or something. So after MANY years as a paid Textra user I had to delete it and go back to Handcent which still allows the custom feature. I'm shattered.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I see those Dev comments.

Glad I don't ever auto update anything... I'll never again take another Textra update I guess.

SOOOOOOOOO glad that I never paid for it, lol.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
After switching to the Note 9, I realized that the Textra icon on the recents panel is white. I emailed the Dev, but he replied, "that's how it is and cannot be changed".
The Textra notification icon, on the AOD and in the notification panel is still the blue that I selected.
I am using a VZW Note 9 and Textra version 3.50

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
After switching to the Note 9, I realized that the Textra icon on the recents panel is white. I emailed the Dev, but he replied, "that's how it is and cannot be changed".
The Textra notification icon, on the AOD and in the notification panel is still the blue that I selected.
I am using a VZW Note 9 and Textra version 3.50

Textra was updated to V. 4. It will be gone if you update the app.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Roger that! THANKS!
I'll add it to the list of apps not to update.
I've been skipping updates for Waze, since they turned it into a cartoon and removed functionality.

ETA, just downloaded versions 3.4, 3.46 and 3.5, from apkpure incase inadvertantly updated.

Last edited:

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The last update took away one of my fav features of Textra...custom icon notification colors. The Dev says it was mandated by Google or something. So after MANY years as a paid Textra user I had to delete it and go back to Handcent which still allows the custom feature. I'm shattered.
I didn't know though could do that with Textra. I thought you could only change the main icon be and not each contact. Well shoot now I want to do it and I can't anymore.lol

desnabc44

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Well that makes me sad. I'm using Textra on my S7 Edge which will be upgraded to a N9 this Friday. Having to download it new is going to remove the feature I like most.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, how's Handcent? Haven't used that in about 5 years.

Assuming Textra isn't lying so people who are angered by this change are not angry at them, (and as if now I'll side with them being truthful), ALL apps, including Handcent, will be forced to comply with this change.

Richard Stewart79

Sep 3, 2018
Visit site
Well that makes me sad. I'm using Textra on my S7 Edge which will be upgraded to a N9 this Friday. Having to download it new is going to remove the feature I like most.

Can't you just use Samsung smart switch and it just moves all the files from one phone to the other, no need to redownload. Just make sure right afterwards you dont have auto update active

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The last update took away one of my fav features of Textra...custom icon notification colors. .. .

I haven't used Textra since they took away the option to have square contact pics (I loathe circles, lol, been pissed at AC too!), but never knew the option was there. Only knew the status bar icon color could be changed.

I've been using Yaata for a couple of years now. Their options have options for their options! So far this is still one of them. I guess I'll update until that changes, and keep the apk from this or later versions that still allow it.

(Why the hell is Google trying to be Apple???)

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm a pro user on 3.50...i have auto updates OFF in my playstore app. Is this all I need to do to keep this version????

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Assuming Textra isn't lying so people who are angered by this change are not angry at them, (and as if now I'll side with them being truthful), ALL apps, including Handcent, will be forced to comply with this change.

Checkout my post above and fix it with a side loaded older version and then don't allow it to update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2