Textra has eliminated colored icons

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm a pro user on 3.50...i have auto updates OFF in my playstore app. Is this all I need to do to keep this version????

Yes. I recommend downloading the version you like, from an apk page and keep it on your SD card, in case it gets inadvertently updated.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't really matter if you upgrade or not, once the Android update goes out that pulls support the color notification icons probably won't work.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't really matter if you upgrade or not, once the Android update goes out that pulls support the color notification icons probably won't work.

I was wondering about that.

If true, and I'm not saying that you're wrong because what you're saying makes sense, why would Textra, (and maybe others?), pull that feature from their app(s) ?

So, given that Google is telling apps to pull that type of feature... I'm hoping no Android update itself will pull it.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Checkout my post above and fix it with a side loaded older version and then don't allow it to update.

I don't have the new version, and as I mentioned above, I don't ever auto update apps... and won't update Textra again.

Sound advice though for folks who might have updated already, and didn't know you could do that.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Assuming Textra isn't lying so people who are angered by this change are not angry at them, (and as if now I'll side with them being truthful), ALL apps, including Handcent, will be forced to comply with this change.

Reading the comments from Textra in the app section of the store, it states there were two options for them to consider.

"Google gave all app developers a choice that from 1 Nov 2018, either keep the notification icon colors and NEVER issue another app update to users via Google Play. OR remove the colored notification icons. We choose the second option. It's part of a greater Google initiative to ensure all apps are compiled against a later version of Android."

Glad to see they won't just abandon the app, I will just have to figure out how to deal with the change or keep the older version and miss out on fixes and new features.

You can still use the LED Blink Color. I think I will turn off the LED for all except the most important texters and ensure the color I choose is something other than the default blue. Will have to test that out as I don't pay much attention to the LED light.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
If true, and I'm not saying that you're wrong because what you're saying makes sense, why would Textra, (and maybe others?), pull that feature from their app(s) ?

When Android removes the code for that, any app calling that API will have an error. Either a soft (recoverable) error or a fatal error. Good developers work to ensure that they don't purposefully generate errors.

So, given that Google is telling apps to pull that type of feature... I'm hoping no Android update itself will pull it.

Since Android went out of their way to say it will not be supported in the future, you can almost guarantee that they will remove it in a future release.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
this is utterly stupid. why have an AOD if you can't distinguish among various SMS contacts? for example of my kids or GF text me I want to wake up my phone. if it's another contact maybe I don't. the whole point of Android is customization and choice.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
this is utterly stupid. why have an AOD if you can't distinguish among various SMS contacts? for example of my kids or GF text me I want to wake up my phone. if it's another contact maybe I don't. the whole point of Android is customization and choice.

Well you should still be able to customize all of that. For example, I only have it waking up the device/screen on if it's my wife or kids. All others just give me a notification ring. Another group chat with my siblings, which sometimes will go on and on....and on.... I have that specific thread set to not ring, not vibrate, just an icon appear (no LED light either). That way I can see if whenever I look at my phone, but I'm not interrupted by constant alerts/vibrations.

However, I agree with the choice - Google appears to be locking down too many things and giving us less options for customization. Reminds me of another company.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well you should still be able to customize all of that. For example, I only have it waking up the device/screen on if it's my wife or kids. All others just give me a notification ring. Another group chat with my siblings, which sometimes will go on and on....and on.... I have that specific thread set to not ring, not vibrate, just an icon appear (no LED light either). That way I can see if whenever I look at my phone, but I'm not interrupted by constant alerts/vibrations.

However, I agree with the choice - Google appears to be locking down too many things and giving us less options for customization. Reminds me of another company.
Wonder what fruitful company you're thinking of

desnabc44

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't changed phones in a loooong time and hadn't thought about Smart Switch. Thanks for the heads-up. Got my phone today and going to rock with 3.46 for as long as I can.

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site