Fingerprint for apps but not lock screen

nancygail

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to quickly access several of my apps via fingerprint but I do not want my lock screen using fingerprints. They seem to be connected. Is there a way to turn off the lock screen fingerprint access but keep it on some of my apps?

Note 9
( there was a choice for every phone but my note 9. So I chose Note 10 category)

Thanks!
Nancy

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe this is possible as the apps challenge the fingerprint they receive against the one set in the system's security settings. I then do not believe it is possible to set-up or save fingerprints without having them actually set as a security lock.

From what I could find through Google, everyone wants to tell you how to set-up fingerprints, for apps and the device, but none seem to mention app only fingerprints.

Here is an older thread another user created asking the same question... https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...creen-but-keep-fingerprint-function-apps.html

Otherwise I'm not finding much.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to quickly access several of my apps via fingerprint but I do not want my lock screen using fingerprints. They seem to be connected. Is there a way to turn off the lock screen fingerprint access but keep it on some of my apps?

Note 9
( there was a choice for every phone but my note 9. So I chose Note 10 category)

Thanks!
Nancy

I'm not 100% sure if I'm answering your question, but I was using fingerprints to unlock my Note 10+ and I went in to Settings >> Lock Screen and disabled Fingerprints (without deleting the fingerprints). Then I was still able to go into WhatsApp, which has native support for fingerprint authentication, and enable it. I even tested unlocking my phone and opening WhatsApp with these settings and everything worked as hoped.

Hope this helps.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Also, I forgot to mention, I also use an app called AppLock (by DoMobile) to lock selected apps with fingerprints and that also continued to work with the above changes to lock screen security settings.

Now, I'm going to go back and re-enable the FPS Lock screen authentication :)

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I use a pattern for my lock screen and fingerprints for apps like Bank of America. I've been doing this on all the recent Notes including the 10+.