Screen flickering & power problems like the Tab 12.2?

caseous

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, there. I'm a 12.2 Tab owner that has struggled with a tablet that has flickered like crazy, powered down and reset after 40% discharge, and overheated and shut down way too frequently. Samsung has tried to fix it but it always comes back doing the same thing. Reading through these forums, it became clear that this is an issue around an easily cracked batter connector. It seems to happen to a lot of Tabs. They are now offering to exchange it for a 12.2 Note but I'm wondering if this model suffers from the same issue. Have you seen this in the Note 12.2?

Thanks,
Caseous

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy Note Pro and Tab Pro are indentical tablets except Note Pro has S Pen function embbed in the LCD.
They have the same issues of flickering, quick discharge, auto shutdown, auto restart....etc...all come from cracked battery connector. If they exchange for the Note Pro, be prepared how to fix this issue in the future as sooner or later, the battery connector will crack .

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Does this happen after the tablet warms up or is used for a few hours? I have plenty of battery life but after a few hours it just constantly reboots itself and don't stop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Depending how bad the cracked battery connector. I have one starts flickering at below 30% battery, that means at least 4 to 5 hours of use. Another starts at 80%.
When it reboots or in a boot loop, press directly on the battery connector, best if the back cover removed, your tablet should stop the boot loop and start normally.
I have fixed many of them, a re solder work will do the magic of stopping flickering, reboot, frozen, quick discharge, auto shutdown etc...

Piperofrose

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Beut,

Question. Is this the connector on the battery or the connector on the tablet? In other words can a simple battery replacement solve the issue?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Read this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...screen-flickering-problems-4.html#post4549435

Majority problem is from the black battery connector on main board. This one needs to re solder.
Minority is from white battery connector which has battery wires loosely contact with pins of black battery connector, pushing the clips of battery wires closer will fix the problem ( read the above link to see why I do this ), no need to replace new battery. I had one flickered at 70% battery, even after re solder. After a quick fix, it works fine, no flickering even at 20% battery.

Ajustment.jpg

Samsung repair center do the same thing, but they cut the plastic cover and solder the wires and pins together. Later, users will have the problem of replacing the battery as they solder two connectors directly.

IMG_1716.jpg

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Beut,

Question. Is this the connector on the battery or the connector on the tablet? In other words can a simple battery replacement solve the issue?

If the battery connector on main board is cracked, you will see the same problem with new battery.
Permanent fix, Samsung repair centers do the same thing to fix flickering screen:
1- Re solder the black battery connector on main board.
2- Adjust the white battery connector to prevent loose contact as I mention above, no need to solder two connectors as Samsung repairs centers do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU0OoZSbma8&feature=youtu.be
This is the original with minimum solders and had hair line cracks, I could move it easily by lift or push.
Be aware that the connector may look fine from the top but there are tiny cracks under it. I always test by slightly push the connector as some may look normal, even under 10x magnification like this one.

Cracked Battery Connector.jpg

This is a re soldered battery connector with a lot more solders added to prevent cracks or loose connections.

JNTC.jpg

Last edited:

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, there. I'm a 12.2 Tab owner that has struggled with a tablet that has flickered like crazy, powered down and reset after 40% discharge, and overheated and shut down way too frequently. Samsung has tried to fix it but it always comes back doing the same thing. Reading through these forums, it became clear that this is an issue around an easily cracked batter connector. It seems to happen to a lot of Tabs. They are now offering to exchange it for a 12.2 Note but I'm wondering if this model suffers from the same issue. Have you seen this in the Note 12.2?

Thanks,
Caseous

Yes the Note Pro often flickers; battery connection or screen connector; even the brand new ones. I'm thinking of sending mine in and telling then to resolder the battery (with lots of solder) and add a stiffner under the screen cable. These are things I can no longer do myself. No new larger android tablets coming out (except the 18" beast from Samsung) so my Pro is going to have to last at least another year. I don't think 3 years is too much to ask of a tablet.

ossqss

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I had an issue with screen flickering. I replaced the battery ($20) and it completely went away. It was easy to do. Good luck.

Abby Normal

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyone send their tab pro 12.2 back to samsung for a fix on the flickering ??

IF so what was the turn around time and cost ????

I have this issue now and an wondering whether to send it back or find someone locally to do this ... looking to get my 12.2 back as soon as possible.......

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have this issue now and an wondering whether to send it back or find someone locally to do this ... looking to get my 12.2 back as soon as possible.......

Send back to Samsung is not cheap if you're out of warranty. Expect to pay more than $150 depending on location, you should get the estimated cost when they receive and diagnose the problem. It's better to go local shops who can do the rework of soldering the battery connector, which takes no more than 10 minutes.This is a simple fix for who knows how to solder. This tablet I bought from someone who gave up and sold it for parts.
Be aware that they will solder directly the battery cable to battery connector, you'll have problem of disconnect the battery in case it's dead. This is what I see they did for a tablet returned for repair. An average user has no way to remove the battery as it's soldered directly to the battery connector.

Solder Battery connector.jpg

The guy at repair center did just haft of the fix: soldered battery cables directly to the connector but did not re solder the battery connector, the tablet will flicker when battery is low. I know this is a work from Samsung repair center because an average user has no knowledge which cables should be soldered to the connector.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Send back to Samsung is not cheap if you're out of warranty. Expect to pay more than $150 depending on location, you should get the estimated cost when they receive and diagnose the problem. It's better to go local shops who can do the rework of soldering the battery connector, which takes no more than 10 minutes.This is a simple fix for who knows how to solder. This tablet I bought from someone who gave up and sold it for parts.
Be aware that they will solder directly the battery cable to battery connector, you'll have problem of disconnect the battery in case it's dead. This is what I see they did for a tablet returned for repair. An average user has no way to remove the battery as it's soldered directly to the battery connector.

View attachment 230771

The guy at repair center did just haft of the fix: soldered battery cables directly to the connector but did not re solder the battery connector, the tablet will flicker when battery is low. I know this is a work from Samsung repair center because an average user has no knowledge which cables should be soldered to the connector.

OK. thanks,, I guess I need to find someone locally who can do this work ..... I will quote your instructions under the last pic....

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
OK. thanks,, I guess I need to find someone locally who can do this work ..... I will quote your instructions under the last pic....

You only need someone to re solder the black male battery connector to mainboard.
The white female connector also need to be fixed, look for previous post how I adjust the tip of battery cables,
no need to solder the way Samsung repair centers do as you have no way to replace a dead battery unless sending back to them for repair.
Without knowing that two connectors are soldered together, an average user will damage the battery connector as well as the mainboard when trying to remove the battery

Recently I see this silver conductive glue applied to the white connector to prevent loose connection, not only this model but other Note models like SM-P600, 605, 607 ( 10.1 screen )
Siver Glue.jpg
Silver Conductive Glue.jpg

Last edited:

Marrio

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes. The turn around time is about 3 to 5 days. They replaced my battery and sadly to say since December 2015 I've started to have the same issue in April. I'm resending it back they quoted me I might have to pay 91.00 dollars to replace a part if they have to. I am certainly not paying that but what they can do is resolder the connectors.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I might have to pay 91.00 dollars to replace a part if they have to. I am certainly not paying that but what they can do is resolder the connectors.
Trust me, they never replace the battery connector unless it's broken. Ordered in bulk, this connector may cost under $1/each. There is no difference with new battery connector, the original was soldered by machine with minimum solders, that's why it's easily cracked, the flaw is in all Samsung tablets. Apple products don't have this problem as their connectors designed differently and are very stable.

Kmhastings

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Beut, I live in East Tennessee, and have 2 note pro tablets that need this done. I have sent both to Samsung repair 3 times and they haven't fixed the issue on either one. I am having trouble finding someone in my area to do this with the battery connectors. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I am having trouble finding someone in my area to do this with the battery connectors. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You only need someone knows how to solder, not necessarily know how to fix a tablet.
This re work only takes 5 to 10 minutes. May I ask where you send your tablet ?
All repair centers should know how to fix this issue and Samsung is well aware where is the source of the problem.
Based on what they did, I know this official fix is instructed from Samsung as contractors ( repair centers ) are not allowed to modify customer tablet's hardware: solder battery cables directly to battery connector. This modification is only be done when authorized from Samsung.
This is a work from a repair center: solder battery cables directly to battery connector as well as re solder the battery connector

po850ugpl7ty8c86g.jpg

You should speak to upper management, someone is upper of the chain, as your tablet has so many repairs.
Don't talk to a low level CSR, ask for supervisor or manager as these guys will speed up the action.
Or this way, file a complaint with BBB, the right guy will response when BBB contact them and order the lower chain
to speed up the process and do the right repair.
I once got a water damaged tablet repair for free when BBB was involved. A repair center made a big mistake when putting my tablet on hold more than 10 days without contact me, they knew customers rarely accept the quote price for an out of warranty repair due to abuse ( water damages ) because it's almost the same as buying a new tablet.
I just made a complaint based on their mistake: a tablet returned for warranty service take almost 2 weeks with no action and response without any communication. This tablet is not from Samsung, but it's an example how BBB can help you to resolve an issue quickly.
You're protected under consumer law but I know many don't know how to use it. You'll get a free repair even your tablet is out of warranty if you can show proof it's a defect common seen in many Samsung tablets. Believe me or not, top guys at upper chain don't want to see this kind of complaints and it's applied to any company. I always get a resolution in my favor when BBB is involved.
https://www.usa.gov/consumer-complaints

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699