Why the different radios?

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me why the sky rocket has a different radio from the Vivid and also which would be the better lte radio?

Vivid:

Network
2G Network GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
3G Network HSDPA 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
4G Network LTE 850 MHz

Read more: HTC Vivid Full Specifications And Price Details - Gadgetian

Skyrocket:

Network
2G Network GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
3G Network HSPA/UMTS 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
4G Network LTE 700 MHz

Read more: Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket Full Specifications And Price Details - Gadgetian

BIackBerry

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Its an error. At&t and Verizon both operate solely within the 700Mhz spectrum currently. Once At&t completes its acquisition of T-Mobile it will convert their 1700MHz spectrum to LTE as well.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Its an error. At&t and Verizon both operate solely within the 700Mhz spectrum currently. Once At&t completes its acquisition of T-Mobile it will convert their 1700MHz spectrum to LTE as well.

Actually that's incorrect. AT&T already has AWS spectrum they're reserving for LTE deployment.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone seen a review that discusses the speeds they are seeing on the LTE network? Also I'm curious to see if the ATT LTE phones have better battery life than the Verizon ones.

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Also I'm curious to see if the ATT LTE phones have better battery life than the Verizon ones.

AT&T claims to have a better switching technology for 3G to 4G than Verizon and says it gives them better battery life. I think that's how I remember reading it. Don't remember where I saw the article though.

BIackBerry

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually that's incorrect. AT&T already has AWS spectrum they're reserving for LTE deployment.

Please tell me what exactly in my reply was "Incorrect".

Fact: At&t "Currently" only uses 700MHz for their LTE, which is what I said.

Fact: Once T-Mobile is purchased, At&t plans to use their 1700MHz spectrum for LTE.

If you would like to call someone "Incorrect" You should elaborate.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
AT&T claims to have a better switching technology for 3G to 4G than Verizon and says it gives them better battery life. I think that's how I remember reading it. Don't remember where I saw the article though.

I read the CNet article as well but wanted to understand is it true or just an ATT Exec blowing smoke. Thanks for the reply.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Fact: Once T-Mobile is purchased, At&t plans to use their 1700MHz spectrum for LTE.
Incorrect. Let me repeat it one more time...
AT&T already owns sufficient amount of AWS (1700Mhz if you don't know what AWS is) spectrum where their LTE is already being tested. They have their specific blocks of 1700Mhz ready to deploy LTE on.

Disclaimer FYI: 1700Mhz is 100Mhz of spectrum not a single band. There are multiple bands auctioned on that 1700Mhz spectrum. AT&T has 10-40Mhz of their AWS band ready to be deployed for LTE, T-Mobile has completely different blocks of that 100Mhz chunk. The LTE devices on AT&T network are not compatible with T-Mobile AWS band at all. All AT&T's LTE devices have both 700Mhz band 17 and AWS band 4 antennas in them, and their LTE modems are both 700Mhz and 1700Mhz ready.
Please get your facts straight.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Then why did At&t spend all that money a few years ago to buy up 700 MHz spectrum at the FCC auction a few years ago after the TV's went digital?

The 700 MHz signal is much stronger (or decays less rapidly), needs fewer towers and penentrates buildings better. I think they are touting their LTE network as 700 MHz as is Verizon's. Correct? Did not see a AWS 1700 band listed on the specs for this phone.

Last edited:

BIackBerry

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect. Let me repeat it one more time...
AT&T already owns sufficient amount of AWS (1700Mhz if you don't know what AWS is) spectrum where their LTE is already being tested. They have their specific blocks of 1700Mhz ready to deploy LTE on.

Disclaimer FYI: 1700Mhz is 100Mhz of spectrum not a single band. There are multiple bands auctioned on that 1700Mhz spectrum. AT&T has 10-40Mhz of their AWS band ready to be deployed for LTE, T-Mobile has completely different blocks of that 100Mhz chunk. The LTE devices on AT&T network are not compatible with T-Mobile AWS band at all. All AT&T's LTE devices have both 700Mhz band 17 and AWS band 4 antennas in them, and their LTE modems are both 700Mhz and 1700Mhz ready.
Please get your facts straight.

If you think that "Fact: Once T-Mobile is purchased, At&t plans to use their 1700MHz spectrum for LTE" is an incorrect statement, then you are ignorant. I'm not nor was I ever disputing that At&t already owns AWS of its own. I never even brought it up. I simply said that it will use T-Mobiles AWS for its LTE plans. Either you have a reading comprehension problem, or you're completely ignorant. Either way you shouldn't be posting on here.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If you think that "Fact: Once T-Mobile is purchased, At&t plans to use their 1700MHz spectrum for LTE" is an incorrect statement, then you are ignorant. I'm not nor was I ever disputing that At&t already owns AWS of its own. I never even brought it up. I simply said that it will use T-Mobiles AWS for its LTE plans. Either you have a reading comprehension problem, or you're completely ignorant. Either way you shouldn't be posting on here.
And who are you to tell me not to post here?
I'm trying to educate you and correct your completely wrong posts so people don't get the wrong information.
Here it is once again: T-Mobile's AWS has nothing to do with AT&T's current LTE devices. Even if the merger goes through, it will take years for AT&T to free up T-Mobile's AWS band and migrate all the users to other bands.
And please do us a favor and calm your rage. You sound really pissed. :confused:

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Then why did At&t spend all that money a few years ago to buy up 700 MHz spectrum at the FCC auction a few years ago after the TV's went digital?

The 700 MHz signal is much stronger (or decays less rapidly), needs fewer towers and penentrates buildings better. I think they are touting their LTE network as 700 MHz as is Verizon's. Correct? Did not see a AWS 1700 band listed on the specs for this phone.

Here is the LTE testing portion of Samsung's Skyrocket FCC filling: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1532866
If you look at HTC Jetstream, or any other AT&T branded LTE device, they all have 700Mhz and 1700Mhz band.
Looks like AT&T may supplement their markets that don't have 20Mhz of 700Mhz spectrum (Chicago only has 10Mhz) with 5x5Mhz on their 1700Mhz band. That way they'll be able to evenly compete with Verizon's 20Mhz nation wide market license.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here is the LTE testing portion of Samsung's Skyrocket FCC filling: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1532866
If you look at HTC Jetstream, or any other AT&T branded LTE device, they all have 700Mhz and 1700Mhz band.
Looks like AT&T may supplement their markets that don't have 20Mhz of 700Mhz spectrum (Chicago only has 10Mhz) with 5x5Mhz on their 1700Mhz band. That way they'll be able to evenly compete with Verizon's 20Mhz nation wide market license.

I see. Thanks for the info. So not all AT&T LTE will be the same Freqs or speed? Interesting.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I see. Thanks for the info. So not all AT&T LTE will be the same Freqs or speed? Interesting.

You're welcome! Basically they have two bands (4 and 17) where they will be deploying LTE since they don't have 20Mhz of 700Mhz nationwide like Verizon. Verizon won upper block nationwide license and that gave them huge advantage since they can just deploy 20Mhz on a single 700Mhz band coast to coast.
But deploying 700Mhz and 1700Mhz for LTE shouldn't be a big issue as the users should get similar user experience, except their maximum theoretical LTE speeds wouldn't be 73.6mbps (like on 20Mhz), they will be 39mbps (using 10Mhz).
Aggregation or channel bonding won't be available until LTE-Advanced or 2013.

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Assuming the ATT+TMO merger goes through and ATT actually does start using some of TMO band for LTE, will the Skyrocket be able to work on all ATT and also all TMO LTE bands?
Or will it only be able to work on some and not others?

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Assuming the ATT+TMO merger goes through and ATT actually does start using some of TMO band for LTE, will the Skyrocket be able to work on all ATT and also all TMO LTE bands?
Or will it only be able to work on some and not others?

That's a great question. The LTE baseband chipsets are programmable, so since all the internal components (filters, antenna, amps) are already tuned to 1700Mhz, it shouldn't be a problem for AT&T to make the existing devices operational on T-Moible's AWS bands.
However, from the moment the merger goes through, add at least 2-3years until those bands are ready for AT&T to deploy LTE. By then, you'll probably have way more pimped out smartphone :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CZ Eddie

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This thread is way to techdorkgeeky for me to understand. My head hurts.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

To sum it all up, It's an awesome phone, I'm getting it even though NYC isn't LTE ready as of now! And I'm buying it full price. That's how much I like the phone. :)
*EDIT* great news for NYC: http://mashable.com/2011/11/04/att-lte-service-new-york-city/
I'm ready to lock myself to unlimited LTE data plan :D

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
To sum it all up, It's an awesome phone, I'm getting it even though NYC isn't LTE ready as of now! And I'm buying it full price. That's how much I like the phone. :)
*EDIT* great news for NYC: http://mashable.com/2011/11/04/att-lte-service-new-york-city/
I'm ready to lock myself to unlimited LTE data plan :D

I'm debating doing this as well. I would also be paing full price. I actually live in the DC area so it would be sweet. But being full price, I just may wait a couple weeks and see if there is any word on the Nexus. Hell i may buy it on launch, then sell it if the Nexus comes. Damn is there an Android rehab? I'm addicted.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa