I am new to android...is there any way to get rid of the bloatware without rooting??
    12-13-2011 03:52 PM
    Welcome! Unfortunately, no. You must root to get rid of the Social Hub and AT&T Navigator and whatnot.
    12-13-2011 04:18 PM
    I have been reading up on rooting...it is definitely not as easy as jailbreaking. A lot more in depth. Is rooting the phone worth it? Also been tyring to find out the pro's and con's of rooting.
    12-14-2011 01:29 PM
    I have been reading up on rooting...it is definitely not as easy as jailbreaking. A lot more in depth. Is rooting the phone worth it? Also been tyring to find out the pro's and con's of rooting.
    Depends on the person. If you like to have full control of your phone and install custom ROMs, kernels, etc., then yes. For most people though, it is not worth it. I know plenty of people who do not root and are perfectly happy with their phones. I rooted mine and installed a custom ROM, but in all honesty I could have not done it and still be happy. Just depends on what you want from your phone and if stock works for you. On the other hand, if stock doesn't work out, then go ahead an root it.
    12-14-2011 01:59 PM
    Well this might be a stupid question, but what is the "easiest/quickest" way to root? I would love to take off all the bloatware...so annoying.
    12-14-2011 02:49 PM
    Rooting is SIMPLE.

I did it myself just the other night, and I was nervous I was going to brick the phone. I followed this procedure:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sky...hat-i-did.html

It worked perfectly.
    12-14-2011 04:33 PM
    Apprecaite it! I will try this tonight.
    12-15-2011 06:51 AM
    I'm new to Android.

Coming over from BB. Have a lot to learn.

Hate all he extra garbage AT&T put on thee phone.

Until I get to the comfort level to root my phone, can I take the bloatware that comes on a phone, move it to a folder and hide the folder?

If so, where can I read up on what I need & how to do it?

Thanks everyone.

Spring
    02-04-2012 08:10 AM
    What are these roms. U speak of. And what is a kernel
    02-04-2012 02:16 PM
    Does anyone know of a "Safe List" of bloat that can be removed? Just rooted and would like to clean this thing up a little, but I don't want to spend all day re-installing .apk's. Thanks in advance!
    02-05-2012 09:39 AM
    Does anyone know of a "Safe List" of bloat that can be removed? Just rooted and would like to clean this thing up a little, but I don't want to spend all day re-installing .apk's. Thanks in advance!
    Got this list from over at XDA-Developers:

AccuWeather
    AllShare
    Amazon Kindle
    Ap Mobile
    AT&T Bar Code Scanner
    AT&T FamilyMap
    AT&T Live TV
    AT&T Ready2Go
    AT&T Hot Spots (Automatically logs into FREE AT&T Hot Spots)
    AT&T Navigator
    Buddies now
    City ID
    Clock 1.0
    Clock 1.1
    Dial Clock 1.0
    Days
    Digital Clock (if you are using another clock app)
    Dual Clock
    Featured Apps
    Home screen Tips
    Kobo
    Media Hub
    Memo
    Mini diary
    Mini paper
    MOG Music
    MYATT
    News & Weather
    NFS Shift
    PressReader
    SNS 1.5
    SNS disclaimer
    SNSAccountFb
    SNSAccountLi
    SNSAccountTw
    SnsImageCache
    Swype
    TalkBack
    Tethering Manager
    Visual Voicemail
    Yahoo! Finance
    YP
    Zinio

I froze all of those apps and then some. That should at least get you started though.

Chris

PS - If you found this post helpful please 'Thank' me.
    Philter05 likes this.
    02-06-2012 05:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD