Question Virtual keyboard help

longshanks74

Jan 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi,
I am reasonably new to Android,
I have a Fusion F202 android 12 tablet and one of my biggest annoyances is the annoying bad spelling caused by the keyboard where if a letter key is not pressed exactly in its middle the intended typed word is misspelled or there is a letter missingl this always happens with the letter (e). also how do I get rid of the numbers from the top line of letters.
many thanks for any advice
Brian

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It will depend on the specific keyboard app you're using (some won't let you hide the number row on tablets). You can try more popular alternatives that even allow you to resize the on-screen keyboard to better suit your typing style on a larger screen. I would suggest either GBoard or SwiftKey. Both also allow customizing the layout to show/hide the number row and other items.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you know who makes the keyboard app for your tablet? When using the keyboard, do you see a gear icon anywhere? That would be the settings icon -- tap that and then look in the options to see if there's a way to turn off the number row.

longshanks74

Jan 20, 2024
Visit site
I have a Fusion F202 tablet running Android 12 ( I don't recommend it), The annoying problem I have is when using the onboard keyboard which is Gboard, spelling errors keep popping up along with numbers and symbols if the correct key is not pressed centrally.
My Q, is there a method of turning off this multifunction key feature and is there a better keyboard I could use. I am an ex iPad owner user and have migrated to an android tablet and although I don't expect it to be as slick and fast I never had these simple problems before.
thanks
longshanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I merged your latest post into your first thread, since it's basically a continuation.

Are you taking advantage of Autocorrect? Gboard's Autocorrect feature is pretty good at figuring out what you're trying to type, such that if you miss a couple of letters, it will still correct to what you had intended.

Regarding the issue with numbers and symbols -- are you saying that you keep unintentionally toggling the keyboard to the numbers/symbols, or that you're holding a key too long, which is bringing up the various additional character options that are associated with that key (e.g., the various accented letters if you press and hold "e")?

Probably the most popular alternative keyboard is Swiftkey, so give that a try. Fleksy is another one that I used to use, but I don''t know how well it's aged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174