SGSII Skyrocket does not have Gorilla Glass?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
does anyone have scratches on your Skyrocket display? I came across a video review by technobuffalo on youtube and the guy says it doesnt have the gorilla glas and there are a couple of scratches on his phone. then I found a few forums about it and it looks like Samsung is using their own technology called Corning Lotus Glass. but it doesnt say it is scratchproof on their website http://samsungcorning.com/product/prdOLED/prdAm01.asp any thoughts on this?
edit:
found this about corning lotus glass www.mobiledia.com/news/114198.html
its actually supposed to be tougher that gorilla... hmm i'm not quite sure about it.. i have a very tiny scratch on the glass outside of the display area....

Last edited:

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I do have a One Centimeter scratch, it can only be seen when the screen displays certain colors.
I call bull on this thing having fancy glass, if it does, its not all that great after all. I think it was from a key in my pocket one day by accident.

If i run my fingernail over the scratch it can be felt, it is a VERY shallow cut..

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Most reviews say it does have gorilla glass but regardless, any glass can be scratched. I always use a screen protector and then get ZAGG as soon as it is available. Seems like an inexpensive option to protect the screen.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
yeah i was very dissapointed to find out there is no gorilla glass on the skyrocket... even some reviews say there is but its definitely not the one I had on my Motorola phone. especially after that very tiny scratch. it is only visible under direct light and if you look really hard. but still it is a bad sign, my Motorola Atrix had gorilla glass and i never used screen protector with it and there was no single scratch on it... and I hate to use screen protectors, most of them ruin the look and the color quality of the screen

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
samsung told me that the skyrocket definitely DOES have gorilla glass

www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_skyrocket_i727-reviews-4303p2.php
in this link the guy pasted the email he got from Samsung tech support and they say it does not feature gorilla glass... but even if it does, it appears to be more scratch prone than other phones out there. i can see that myself unfortunately. I may call Samsung to see what they say about it..

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_skyrocket_i727-reviews-4303p2.php
in this link the guy pasted the email he got from Samsung tech support and they say it does not feature gorilla glass... but even if it does, it appears to be more scratch prone than other phones out there. i can see that myself unfortunately. I may call Samsung to see what they say about it..

There is a posting here where someone did call and they confirmed it was gorilla glass. If I find I will post to this.

Edit: Here it is, post #3

http://forums.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/133130-screen-durability.html

The corning website says the Galaxy SII has gorilla glass but does not specify model. I would think that if the Sprint and T mobile versions with a 4.5 inch screen do, then I would think the SR would also. Anyways, the screen protector is your friend!!! I have so many friends that do not get screen protectors because they have gorilla glass! Then they get a scratch! Friends do not let friends go without screen protectors! lol!

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a posting here where someone did call and they confirmed it was gorilla glass. If I find I will post to this.

Edit: Here it is, post #3

http://forums.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/133130-screen-durability.html

The corning website says the Galaxy SII has gorilla glass but does not specify model. I would think that if the Sprint and T mobile versions with a 4.5 inch screen do, then I would think the SR would also. Anyways, the screen protector is your friend!!! I have so many friends that do not get screen protectors because they have gorilla glass! Then they get a scratch! Friends do not let friends go without screen protectors! lol!
lol thanks dude! guess i'll have to get that screen protector:)

mrfr3sh2def

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The skyrocket is not equipped with guerilla glass and I would highly recommended a screen protector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

nemotode

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Whatever it is, it's defective. After owning for 2 days, dropped mine literally two inches onto a wooden floor and glass cracked. Before this, owned a Blackberry for 7 years, probably dropped it several times from height of 3 feet, no problems. I can't imagine how a screen protector would help it, unless the protector is thicker than the phone. Definitely, don't buy it!

Mharka13

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Dropped mine so many times about 4 feet into concrete, it just bounced. And no damage whatsoever.. Otterbox defender case!!!!! Ftw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I read an article that Samsung had come up with it's own specifications on glass and was having it made by Corning. So technically it is not Gorilla glass, but something similar with similar characteristics. The famous video of the guy scratching his screen by grinding his keys on it is meaningless. First of all Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof...second, I am not sure whether he actually scratched the glass or possibly just altered the coatings which are often added to optics to kill some glare... In any case the Galaxy Phones are much less prone to broken screens than iPhones...

nemotode

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, Mharka13. But let me ask you--if you buy a new car, would you buy an Otterbox-like product to guard the windshield? No. And you shouldn't have to buy a protective case for any smartphone.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Whatever it is, it's defective. After owning for 2 days, dropped mine literally two inches onto a wooden floor and glass cracked. Before this, owned a Blackberry for 7 years, probably dropped it several times from height of 3 feet, no problems. I can't imagine how a screen protector would help it, unless the protector is thicker than the phone. Definitely, don't buy it!

2 inches? come on man....the Samsung Galaxy series are some of the most robust phones ever made...You can go on youtube all day long and watch videos of the things in drop tests against the iPhone with it's "helicopter winshield" glass...and the Samsung wins. I have dropped mine from 4 feet (or more)(hardwood floors) twice with no damage whatsoever...the Skyrocket does not have defective glass. This is a simple but I think fair test.

Demo iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II Drop Test - YouTube

tuukka87

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I dropped mine getting out of a escalade and no damage at all, alot more durable than my old iphone which cracked when someone looked at it.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a gel case, no problems after drops.

As for the car, cars have bumpers.
My Skyrocket has a bumper-called a case. The screen is not built to take side impacts well. And the Blackberry? Unless it was a torch, the screen is so small, the body takes most of the impact anyway. Not a fair comparison.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I set my skyrocket on top of my car while fishing for my keys. Grabbed my phone and it slipped from my hands and bounced several times on the asphalt and no damage to screen or phone, was sure glad it was inside of a casemate case though because the corners of that case were a bit damaged.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums